Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I actually looked into the carrier. Then I had heard from fellows here that it was out of the RV business.I realize I can get a cheap unit and put it in myself. Assuming I could get the misses to hold up her end. Hope she didn't hear that. After shopping the price and labor involved for someone else I felt like this was fair for either of them. The cheapest I found the Dometic Penguin 15,000 BTU,s was 900.00 before shipping. I figured 70.00 airstreams drip pan and another 50 or so for the heat strip.The airstream mechanic is allowing 4 hours to remove and install the heat strip and drip pan on the airstream. Maybe a little more than I would have liked to see. Another 2-3 hours to run wiring for the thermostat.Total labor somewhere around 7 hours. This is costing me 740.00 bucks. Almost what the unit cost. However if you factor in the drip pan. Which I want. Want,s cost more.The heat strip and that I think the Penguin is a better a/c than the brisk air. Although both are made by Dometic. Maybe the actual cost of the Penguin labor is worth it if you look at the fact he is charging 240 labor for the brisk air no pan. 320 labor for the 13,500 Penguin. He is actually charging 240.00 more to run the thermostat. I would not run it for that. I would love to hear weather you all think I am on target or not.By the way Dometic is still in business No pun intended.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Tom,

I have to agree, I wouldn't by a Carrier now. A couple of years ago when I bought they were still in the business.

It still sounds like a lot of labor, but if you check my install thread there are a couple of photos of me on the roof cleaning off old sealant. That alone took much longer than I expected.

I replaced mine with a lower unit that has the twist-knob type thermostat like the original rather than installing a wall thermostat, too. I can't comment on labor for installing one of those.

Regardless of price and cost, I don't think that 13,000 Btu is big enough for a 31' Airstream here. I know that the 15,000 Carrier has to work hard on my 34 in full sun, and 3 feet is not all that much more to cool. It was almost 90 in the front living area (which faces east, the bedroom area stays a little cooler despite being on the west end because it doesn't have the wrap-around windows) when I got home from work yesterday and the AC hasn't been off for weeks now. Sure, I shut the vent to the rear getting it down to the low 80s and changed to shorts and a t shirt and was fine, but I wouldn't want it any hotter to start with. If they made a 20,000 Btu RV air-conditioner, I would consider one next time.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I am with you all the way Vaughan. I agree. I am convinced a 15,000 would be a place to start. My 13,500 would cool are trailer great in the 100 degree weather we were having back around mid June up at Norfolk lake.However we had all awnings down. In the shade and air conditioner was never turned off. As well we had the bathroom door shut so we did not cool this area.This made me think the 15,000 would be better and worth the money.However neither one will drop the trailer in the trailer more than 20 degrees I am told from the outside temperature. One just gets it there quicker.Thats what I have been told.Something about ambient air. I wanted the Penguin 15,000 for that reason and that I thought it was a better build and equipped unit than the brisk air unit. Worth the extra money of someone else installing and paying more for the unit. The mechanic said the same thing most people are going 15,000 for a 34 footer some even two units mmmm! He wanted me to have the brisk air 15,000 for 1,100 and heat strip no drip pan.Because of the cost. He said the Penguin was a better unit though but considerably more to install and purchase. However it would have the drip pan and wall thermostat. What is your thoughts on that. I would be interested in what Lew thinks also.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Lew this would also be the labor charges for running the wall thermostat. Would that make the total cost of a 15,000 BTUs Penguin with drip pan and heat strip and wall thermostat and removing mine and prepping for the other worth the price of 1,770.00? I would appreciate your input here.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Lew this would also be the labor charges for running the wall thermostat. Would that make the total cost of a 15,000 BTUs Penguin with drip pan and heat strip and wall thermostat and removing mine and prepping for the other worth the price of 1,770.00? I would appreciate your input here.
Depends on how much time they are planning to run the new Comfort Control Center (CCC) t/stat. That might be where most of the time is getting eaten up.

I have to fish wires all the time when doing solar installations, and it is the majority of the labor costs for a solar charging system.

If you have confidence in your techs and or dealer and they do quality work, then it's a judgement call on your part. I NEVER suggest to anyone to go with a cheaper price just for price sake, as there are many other factors to consider.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
My mechanic is quoting 3 to 4 hours for the control center. Can you tell me where I can get a good look at the control center they will install Lew.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
My mechanic is quoting 3 to 4 hours for the control center. Can you tell me where I can get a good look at the control center they will install Lew.
The Comfort Control Center (CCC) can be found here: products - Dometic

Part of that time is usually running a 12VDC line up to the A/C unit, as the CCC needs that power to operate and be able to send signals to the board in the upper roof unit. They also have to run a data (phone-type) cable from the unit back to the CCC so they can 'talk'.

Once they have the path to pull the wires, it should go smoothly
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I looked at your install Vaughan and I would give you a A+ FOR DOING IT YOURSELF. That looks like more than a fellow thinks it would be if you do not have the help and right equipment. I read a post from the fellow Zeph. That he almost killed himself trying to get the a/c up there.I tried to convince myself I could do it by myself. I am glad I didn't. I liked the real time pictures also. Your trailer is a beauty. Really nice.Something about a long,long trailer hahaha! I was also convince about the having to cool the trailer down after it being off. I remember the move we made from Norfolk lake to Eureka. We got in there about 1:00 pm and it was hot.It took about 45 minutes with awnings out setting in the sun to cool it down. We ran the fan some also to help cool down and keep us cool.I was impressed however with how cold it kept the trailer once you got it cooled down. At night you would freeze your kister off . We too had the back bathroom shut off at all times. So hey guy I really am glad that you all got me to leaning toward the bigger unit. I am now dragging my feet trying to justify the cost. Especially when you can get the 15,000 brisk air so much cheaper. That and me and the misses don't have a money tree . Here is another man thought as my wife would say. I wonder where a fellow could but another unit at in the coach mmmm mmmm!! Thanks to all of you.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I looked at your install Vaughan and I would give you a A+ FOR DOING IT YOURSELF. That looks like more than a fellow thinks it would be if you do not have the help and right equipment. I read a post from the fellow Zeph. That he almost killed himself trying to get the a/c up there.I tried to convince myself I could do it by myself. I am glad I didn't. I liked the real time pictures also. Your trailer is a beauty. Really nice.Something about a long,long trailer hahaha! I was also convince about the having to cool the trailer down after it being off. I remember the move we made from Norfolk lake to Eureka. We got in there about 1:00 pm and it was hot.It took about 45 minutes with awnings out setting in the sun to cool it down. We ran the fan some also to help cool down and keep us cool.I was impressed however with how cold it kept the trailer once you got it cooled down. At night you would freeze your kister off . We too had the back bathroom shut off at all times. So hey guy I really am glad that you all got me to leaning toward the bigger unit. I am now dragging my feet trying to justify the cost. Especially when you can get the 15,000 brisk air so much cheaper. That and me and the misses don't have a money tree . Here is another man thought as my wife would say. I wonder where a fellow could but another unit at in the coach mmmm mmmm!! Thanks to all of you.
Hi Tom,

I appreciate it. I really couldn't have done it without help from my great neighbors.

I did look at Zep's posts about AC replacement first, too. That definitely convinced me that either scaffolds, a crane, or a skyhook was in order. Thanks to Zep for posting his adventures. I learned from his example.