Old 12-02-2002, 07:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Coleman AC Heater Element

I had not run my Honda generator for a month, so I decided to excercise it last night. I hooked it up to the AS, and after it had warmed up, decided to turn the AC on to "heat". Well, that got generator "barking"! I think it is a 1500 watt element. Did not seem to put out much heat, but it was 20 inside the trailer. I suppose if it gives a 20 degree rise, it would only be putting out 40 degree air. Anyone else use the heater in the AC? BTW, with the AC running on heat and the Univolt on, the AC stayed around 121 volts, with the AC off, and just the Univolt it was 127.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:14 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Air Conditioner Heat Coils

I've used mine at times. They are marginal and really only designed to take the chill out of the air. The only issue I have with mine is that it has no thermostatic control. So when you get too hot you turn it off and when you get cold you turn it back on.

Last fall I used it during our trip to the Smokies. The outside temps were in the high 30's and the heat coil worked fine until it got too warm. Bottom line I got tired of turning it off and on and finally set the furnace thermostat.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
If the outside temperature is near freezing, you must run the furnace, so that heated air is circulated around the holding tanks, water tank and the water lines. The heating portion of your AC will not help to keep the water from freezing.
However, if the outside temperature is above freezing, you can use the heat portion of your AC. Unfortunately, that's not very efficient. The standard heating element is 1500 watts. By formula, one watt produces 3.4 BTU per hour. That amount to 5100 BTU per hour. Excellent to remove a "chill" but not worth much if it's really cold outside. Keep in mind that the larger Airstream furnaces put out 30,000 BTU, nearly six times what the AC heating element will do.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

same here ...the heat ribbon will hardley knock out the chill..thought it was broke ....just not much punkin..
tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Just for limited use

It's good here in Texas for about a month in the spring and a month in the fall. I turn it on first time going under the AC in the morning on the way to the bathroom, then hop back under the comforter. It takes the chill off quite nicely by the time I'm ready to get up.

Rest of the time, I use a Pelonis ceramic heater with thermostat. I set the furnace thermostat a few degrees colder than the Pelonis so that the furnace just comes on for backup.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote