Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
CO problem with furnace :eek:

We just returned from picking up our trailer from Jackson Center and now have a CO problem with our furnace. The furnace worked fine when we dropped the trailer off during the winter for warranty work (i.e., panel replacement due to peeling clearcoat). Now, when we run the furnace there is a funny smell (not propane) and the CO detector starts screaming. I fear that perhaps A/S didn't reinstall the furnace correctly after they took the interior apart to replace the panel. I also noticed that the exterior furnace fitting isn't secure against the outside of the trailer -- there is an opening along the bottom edge where there isn't any caulking. Could the exhaust from the furnace be sucked back in through that opening or is my furnace broken?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

From the outside of your coach, inspect the inlet / exhaust plate. The top hole (exhaust) pipe should extend tight up against that plate. Same with the bottom. remove the cover plate by removing the long screw in the center of the exhaust, and possibly another plate behind that. Insure that there is a good (polybutylene tape) caulk seal around both plates. If that does not solve the problem, then look inside your furnace at the asbestos seal between the igniter plate and the burn box. This is a serious concern.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I had a CO problem with my furnace. I found that the exaust/intake plate only had 2 screws instead of the 4 holding that plate on. Once I added the additional 2 screws and tightened the plate down properly, the CO problem disappeared.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote