Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Good question on where to find replacement parts. Hope someone knows.
I think my thermal sensor is the long tube that runs up the length of the front. I'm not sure but it looks like its capillary in nature, not electrical.
Therefore, heat must create pressure inside the tube, which exerts pressur on the gas valve safety mechanism. Short of a slow leak, there shouldn't be any parts to wear out, right?
So, in theory, if the parts are disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, the unit should work fine. I don't know if there are o-rings or gaskets. I didn't see evidence of any.
Has anyone taken one apart?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
ThermX

My 1974 Airstream had a ThermX heater. Thanks for the tip about the pilot light going out. The thermocouple must be nuzzled close to the mat in order for the gas to flow. Although I have purchased a new propane catalytic heater, I am restoring the old heater today.
The new propane catalytic heaters have an oxygen depletion sensor. Regardless, I think that it would be prudent to keep fresh air entering the Airstream while the heaters are being used. I purchased a new Mister Heater Portable Buddy at Lowe's for around $80. There are other brands at Camping World which seem to have more bells and whistles.
I made a copper tubing connection for the catalytic heater when I remodeled my Airstream. It was mounted by the front door and it had a piano hinge mount that would allow the ThermX to swing into the middle of the room. Rv suppliers sell rubber hoses which are as much as 48" long.
I am cleaning mine up for emergency use in my Airstream when boondocking.
I would imagine that a thermocouple for a grill might replace a defective one?
I have replaced thermocouples for other gas appliances and I think they may be interchangeable?
My new gas propane heater has a pilot light which does not extinguish like the ThermX. I burns up a disposable gas tank in about 10 hours.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Hi, Jim,

Thanks for posting.

Is the disposable tank the small single use like a lantern or Buddy uses, or the larger kind you can trade in empty for a full one, such as for an outdoor gas grill?

If it is the former, that is very encouraging time for a long weekend of tailgating or backcountry hikes. Do you use the Buddy inside, with the little tanks inside, too?

Have you tried to find the parts to connect the Buddy to the tanks on the trailer? What extra fixtures did you get?

If it's the latter, what kind of adapters do you need to connect the tank to the heater? Doesn't the tank need to be outside?

Yes, the oxygen flow is essential, and do not go to sleep with the heater on, even if you have a CO alarm. [Let's keep this conversation off the radar, or we will get hijacked by the catalytic heater haters.]

Finally, please post again with your ThermX overhaul.

Thanks,
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWeilhammer
My 1974 Airstream had a ThermX ... purchased a new Mister Heater Portable Buddy
... pilot light which does not extinguish like the ThermX ... burns up a disposable gas tank in about 10 hours.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I wonder if a spark-maker could be added on, maybe they make them as repair parts, or could be adapted from a gas lighter? A Pietzo needs electricity, right? My ThermX does not have the sparker.
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
Did anyone ever find a source for new thermo couple? I have a ThermX Caravan Mark V in my 1981 Excella that works great (glow spreads across catalytic pad) until I release the pilot light. Would like to use it as supplemental heat during the day as I full time this winter. Thanks!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple sanctuary View Post
Did anyone ever find a source for new thermo couple? I have a ThermX Caravan Mark V in my 1981 Excella that works great (glow spreads across catalytic pad) until I release the pilot light. Would like to use it as supplemental heat during the day as I full time this winter. Thanks!!!
I had a similar problem I repossistioned the coupler cleaned the surface and have been using it for several years now. Just a thought.

Ron