Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Choosing a new AC unit

My old Armstrong AC has become week so its time for a new unit and Im trying to decide which AC unit to purchase. I have a 26' Argosy and we spend most of our time in the Texas heat. Im thinking I should go with a 15k btu to beat the heat/humidity but I cant decide between the Dometic penguin ii and the Brisk Air ii. I like the low profile of the penguin ii but I have heard about it being loud and having other problems. I haven't heard of any issues with the Brisk Air and it is suppose to be much quieter.
The only reason I lean toward the Penguin ii is for its low profile. I also need to factor in the possible use of a generator in the future. The smaller the better.
I know Coleman makes a good unit too, the Mach 8, which I like for the low profile but I am concerned with the noise the Penguin ii and the Mach 8 are said to make.
Does anyone have any experience with these models and thoughts on the right unit for my needs.

wzelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

When I replaced the a/c unit on my 34 footer, I narrowed it down to the Carrier AiRV 15,000 and the Dometic Penguine 15,000. I went with the Carrier because Dad is an HVAC tech and Carrier has an excellent reputation in the HVAC industry.

They have since gotten out of RV a/c units because there was no profit in it.

If I were buying one now, I'd get the Dometic 15,000.

Best of luck,

- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I'd fix the old Armstrong.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I'd fix the old Armstrong.
Here's a thread on how one man did just that. In fact, he improved it and added a function to it: heat pump.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have Dometics on my 34' and the new Coleman low profile on the '63 Overlander.

The Coleman makes a different sound outside since it uses a blade fan vs. the squirrel cage of the Dometic. Also the outside fan cycles on the Coleman with the compressor. The inside fan cycles on the Dometic.

I sleep much better with the Coleman because the inside noise is constant. Outside, the fan cycling on the coleman makes it more noticeable.

The Coleman uses a pump to remove condensate and has never dripped inside unlike the gravity system of the Dometic.
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
The new RVP (Coleman) Mach 8 units have 2 motors rather than the single dual shaft motor found in the Penguins. The condenser fan (outside blower ) has a separate and different motor that the evaporator fan (indoor blower).

The fan characteristics are different also. The condenser fan is a bladed fan while the evaporator fan is a squirrel cage. The outside sound level of the Mach 8 is definitely above that of a Penguin, but the inside noise is lower than that of the Penguin.

Both units are covered by an initial 2 year warranty, but Dometic has an available 3 year extended coverage that provides replacement for an additional 3 years and labor coverage for an extra 2 years. RVP has a similar program, but after the initial 2 year warranty, they will usually insist on repair of the unit rather than replacement.

There are other features that differentiate one from the other. Let me know if you are interested in these.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I haven't heard a TT AC yet that I didn't think was loud...

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote