Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Check your Furnace heater for CO!

Sad story from JohnHD's neck of the woods:

Clydesdale Community Shocked By 4 Deaths - News Story - WISC Madison
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
How sad! Thanks Pick for the reminder, especially with cooler weather coming on. I'll change the batteries in my CO detector. I wonder what type of propane heater they had.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
Exclamation propane gas seapage

This is very sad. A message for caution for all of us.

I have a heater that slowly emits gas when not running. When runnng, no gas smell - when not running, propane, although a very small amount. I heat for a short period, then shut off gas at the tanks (new AS for us, a 78 Soveriegn, just finish remodel and first time out in it last weekend).

Any suggestions on the small leak?? Everything else gas works fine - no other problems, but of course, cant use anything else as the leak exists and is prominent when gas is on, just can't smell it when the furnace is also running.

Any ideas on the fix??
kwoolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We purchased one of those little carbon monoxide detectors and leave it plugged in when we are "hooked up to power"... they are available at local hardware stores. Anyone see any that are battery powered? Never hurts to be careful. Another $30 is nothing compared to one's safety!

kwoolston, I would do the propane valve and joint checks with the soapy water routine... and also inspect all the lines. Go to your nearest large propane dealer (company that just sells propane and propane appliances) they can probably give you ideas on how to check and what to look for! This could get worse at a bad time! You and your family are too important to let a leak go by unrepaired.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello Kwoolston,

find that leak ,don't use the gas until you find it .Very dangerouse situation you have going on .You need to locate the leak before somthing happens !You can use the dish soap /water method ,spray soapy water on the gas connections at the heater and around the valve and control .If you spot bubbles ,youve found a leak .I turn off the gas at night anyway and
the hot water in the water heater is still pretty hot in the morning
I will heat the trailer pretty good then shut of the gas at the tanks .I just feel better about not having taken a chance of having a leak .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
We purchased one of those little carbon monoxide detectors and leave it plugged in when we are "hooked up to power"... they are available at local hardware stores. Anyone see any that are battery powered? Never hurts to be careful. Another $30 is nothing compared to one's safety!. . . . Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
I got mine at either Wal-mart of Home Depot, I can't remember which. It's manufactured by Kidde ~ a combo smoke and CO detector that includes a voice-over with the alarm. I know it works VERY WELL for smoke (have to shut the partition or disable when making toast) and would hope it works equally well for CO.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
So sorry to hear about this family... This is the reason we have replaced our nearly 30 year old furnace with a new one.... and we NEVER travel without working smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and propane detectors...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Geez, what a sad story. Just to clarify for me, where exactly is the best place to mount a CO detector? The news story says that CO sinks, implying that the best place might be near floor level. I thought the directions for my detector said to mount fairly high on a wall- Now I'm concerned. Where do these things go for optimum reliability?? Thanks!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
CO detectors should be mounted 6 to 9 " from the floor. I used the bathroom/galley wall, short electric run to the 12 volt panel under the sink.
Seems to working well, chirpped when I installed the new furnace, until I found the leak.
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
I got mine at either Wal-mart of Home Depot, I can't remember which. It's manufactured by Kidde ~ a combo smoke and CO detector that includes a voice-over with the alarm. I know it works VERY WELL for smoke (have to shut the partition or disable when making toast) and would hope it works equally well for CO.
Thanks! I will check it out, looks better than the current one we have! Always a good idea to consider safety!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yes quite a tragedy.

check your equipment AND get a detector!

john
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Our natural gas/propane detector is within one foot of the floor. The battery powered carbon monoxide detector and the smoke detector are installed above our bed approximately one foot from the ceiling.

Regarding placement of the CO detector, as with so many things, it depends. We are concerned both with gas leak (which would require a gas detector) AND with the products of combustion (especially Carbon Monoxide) from an appliance intended to warm the air.

Here's what a site dedicated to preventing death and injury from CO states, "When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air."

The source of this info is Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - The Silent Killer

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I just installed one with a 6" gap to the floor and in the vacinity of a duct. So far so good with no beeps!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote