Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Question Catalytic Heaters - Who Wins?

I am looking at two propane heaters that are sig different in price. I would buy the Mr Heater for under $100 if the *quality* is close to the same.

Is one much cleaner burner? ie can you use one as a auxiallary heater in a home? Can you smell the burning? I know about leaving a small opening vent in RV / home for O2.

Mr. Heater Portable Propane Heater
Pilot for spark ignition, as well as 4,000 and 9,000 BTU settings….14"L x 7"W x 14". Mfr. one year warranty……$89.10 Member SALE
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...0&skunum=19573

Olympian WaveTM 6 Catalytic Heater…..Double platinum catalyst increases BTU output. Self generating piezo starter lasts for 20,000 starts. 100% safety shut-off valve prevents non-ignition fuel discharge….3200 to 6000 BTUs….Mfr. three year conditional warranty…17 7/8"H x 12 13/16"W x 4"D Connection 3/8” SAE flare $287.10 Member SALE
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=19333

Who Wins for Greatest Value for the money? (are you paying too much for the *name brand* in Wave 6?)
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:07 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
looks like the wave 6 doesn't have a carbon monoxide shut off.

personally i wouldn't trust my life to either. propane bottles no matter what size should not be inside your trailer.

what would happen if the propane bottle overheated and vented to relieve the pressure?(even the small ones do that)

all i can think of is BOOM!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I have the portable Mr. Heater that I heated my 24 ft. MH work in progress with last winter. It is pretty well insulated with spray foam but the door was bare metal along with some not too tight seals at the time and the heater worked well. I ran it of a 20 lb. tank, lasted about 5 days. Used a fan on low to circulate the air, it wasn't hot but moving around working I survived. I debated the same question, figured I would try this first because of the price, will probably use it when the MH is complete. A fixed mount is OK, but is only going to heat the area it faces. When I got it there was a small leak around the edge of the ceramic grid, I called and they sent a replacement no problem, real easy install.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

John,

I agree that the propane tanks should be kept outside – especially for venting problems. Leaks could be easily tested with soap suds. As far as heater inside and tank outside, I was thinking of splitting the line at the gas stove and running a tee to a flexible hose so you could point it in any direction. This would work on both the Wave and the Mr. Heater. (On the Wave, there is no 1 lb canister option.)

Press Release: Buddy features an oxygen-depletion safety system (ODS) that eliminates the risks of carbon monoxide dangers occurring. These dangers occur when heaters that are designed for outdoor use only are improperly used indoors. The Buddy's ODS system shuts off the heater automatically when the oxygen level drops below acceptable levels in enclosed spaces.

Steve
Old 11-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

John in MH,

figured I would try this first because of the price, will probably use it when the MH is complete.

Seems I'm sensing that the $90 Mr Heater IS a better value.

How about some of you Wave owners out there. Any thoughts to compare. Expecially if you use the 16oz to 20lb propane tank conversion kit $15 Hose adapter: You can use one of the following two hose adapters: F273701- 5 foot hose F273702- 12 foot hose.

The longer one could be used during a power outage with the 20 lb tank outside the window.

Steve
Old 11-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Radiant vs Catalytic heaters

Ahhh Duggg (from the other board), your comments:
"The main difference is that one burns propane directly, the other burns it catalytically.

Direct combustion is the same process used by your furnace, fridge, and gas range. It produces a higher temperature heat, requires more oxygen and propane per hour. It also produces a small amount of carbon monoxide..."

Their website:
"Mr. Heater's Portable Buddy™ **radiant** heater provides safe heat for chilly garages,..."

You are the first to point out that difference! I was thinking BOTH were *catalytic*.

This means that Mr Heater 'heats the air' and Wave 'heats the objects in front'. Also there will be efficiency differences and CO diffs.

This really helps explain the price differences!

Thanks,
Steve in Sav'h
still in quandry
Old 11-17-2002, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
just curious as to why you would run an aux heater instead of the furnace?
I have my furnace on in the driveway tonite as it is in te 20s. Keeping it on 50 degrees. The rv antifreeze was sold out locally, and I don't want a frozen water problem.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
catalytic heater

I have used a Coleman 2,000 to 5,000 BTU portable catalytic heater and an 11 lb. portable tank for more than 17 years. It has been used in canvas tents, nylon tents, inside a friends SOB camper and last year my 31' Excella. I doublecheck all connection before use and seperate the tank the full length of the hose which is at least 12' in length. My furnace was rebuilt last year and I installed a Wave 6 right afterwards. The reason I do not use the furnace by itself is that I boondock most of the hunting season and do not want to tax the 2 batteries. The Wave 6 not only heats the couch area in front of the Excella but, contrary to what some have said, it carries some of the heat to the middle of the coach. Granted, the rear bathroom is cold so I shut it off from the curbside twin bed. I set the furnace to come on in the 50's, turn the Wave 6 on and sometimes fire up the Coleman when it gets real cold. Proper ventilation is essential since both catalytics consume oxygen but do not give off fumes. The furnace coming on only every once in a while sends heat to the belly of the trailer "just in case". www.rvsolarelectric.com sells the Wave 3 and 6 along with feet should you decide to use their portable hose system with swivel connection. A "T" is spliced into the gas system and a connection run through the floor or wall. A quick disconnect is used at this point so that you can connect where you want the hose. The company also speaks of a swivel or tilt bracket that is sold in camping stores that allows you to mount the Wave 6 on bracket which is connected to the wall. You then swivel/tilt the unit away from the wall and point it down the hallway. The rubber hose with swivel connection allows the unit to direct its heat from the front of the unit to down the hallway. I can tell you right now that I can stand in the kitchen behind the Wave that is mounted next to the doorway (see my photos in the airstreamphotos section) and feel the warmth coming from the front. When I move in front of the Wave 6 there is definately more heat. It seems that if you are wanting to get heat in seperate areas you have all the choices listed above.

John is definately right about having a propane cylinder near the heat source. This is why I check connections with soapy water before and during the hunting season.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

heaters

I just removed an Olympian 8100 catalytic wave heater from my 17' Caravel because it worked so good it got wayyy to warm. I replaced it with the small Mr. Heater. You need to know that MR. Heater comes with a built-in regulator, so you aren't supposed to hook it to your trailer tanks (because they are regulated too). You can have my Olympian for $200 if you want (plus shipping), I'll guarantee it.

Sue