Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you like your catalytic heater?
Love it, use it all the time. 23 46.94%
Hate it 2 4.08%
I use it in addition to the furnace 19 38.78%
I use it as the main heat source 14 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I'll bet the phrase "not for RV use" is code for "I did not buy liability insurance to cover me in case you put this in a very small space without adequate ventilation and asphyxiate yourself".

It would be nearly impossible to do that in a "house"...lots of air, and leaky.
Are they safe to use though?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Are they safe to use though?
I guess that depends on your definition of "safe". (and I'm just guessing about the liability thing...).

I don't use mine right now, because I have a 3-year-old, and the thing is mounted right where he could (and undoubtedly would) touch it and burn himself. so its not "safe" in that sense.

I don't think its any different than any other appliance. handle with care. Lots of stuff in there is potentially deadly. there's "deadly and familiar", and "deadly and NOT so familiar"...the latter is scarier than the former, but not necessarily any more dangerous.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Chuck,
You ought to think about a life of politics.....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I guess that depends on your definition of "safe". (and I'm just guessing about the liability thing...).

I don't use mine right now, because I have a 3-year-old, and the thing is mounted right where he could (and undoubtedly would) touch it and burn himself. so its not "safe" in that sense.

I don't think its any different than any other appliance. handle with care. Lots of stuff in there is potentially deadly. there's "deadly and familiar", and "deadly and NOT so familiar"...the latter is scarier than the former, but not necessarily any more dangerous.

So you dont know is what you are saying

Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Chuck,
You ought to think about a life of politics.....
wait 'till you see me define the word "is"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
So you dont know is what you are saying
No, I'm saying that it all depends on your situation and your own perspective. There's a bunch of ways to heat a trailer, and they all have their own advantages and dis-advantages. As with other appliances, you're quite literally playing with fire and explosive gasses, so there's always some potential hazzard. "Safe" is kind of a relative term. so, "compared to what?" If you're asking if I would go to sleep in a trailer with one of these things on all night, then I'd say, "yeah, its safe". just make sure you leave a window or vent cracked, so it doesn't consume all the O2 in the trailer. I think some of the newer ones have an O2 sensor that will shut them down in the event of a low O2 situation, but I'm not sure if that requires electricity. maybe those would be " a little safER". IMO, if it "needs" electricity, it defeats the purpose of this device. but thats another discussion...
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I think they are great if it is say 35-50 Degrees. Any colder you will need ot use the furnance to keep the tanks from freezing. Any warmer I would use the Heat Pump. Too narrow a band for me to justify installing one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Its gonna have to get alot colder than that for the tanks to freeze. water freezes at 32...the freezing temp drops as other stuff is added to the mix. you'd have to be living in the trailer in a northern climate for that to become a problem, and I wouldn't imagine there are too many people boondocking in that sort of living arangement. That seems to be the biggest selling point of these things, to me: heat w/o electricity. If you don't need that...well, you don't need it.
some trailer's tanks are inside, above the floor; any heat keeps them from freezing. Like I said, it all depends on your situation.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:

No, I'm saying that it all depends on your situation and your own perspective. There's a bunch of ways to heat a trailer, and they all have their own advantages and dis-advantages. As with other appliances, you're quite literally playing with fire and explosive gasses, so there's always some potential hazzard. "Safe" is kind of a relative term. so, "compared to what?" If you're asking if I would go to sleep in a trailer with one of these things on all night, then I'd say, "yeah, its safe". just make sure you leave a window or vent cracked, so it doesn't consume all the O2 in the trailer. I think some of the newer ones have an O2 sensor that will shut them down in the event of a low O2 situation, but I'm not sure if that requires electricity. maybe those would be " a little safER". IMO, if it "needs" electricity, it defeats the purpose of this device. but thats another discussion...
I didnt mean catalytic heaters in general, specifically I was wondering if the ones manufactured for home use are safe to use in an AS. So, I am looking for a clearer anwser to Franks question.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #29
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I think they are great if it is say 35-50 Degrees. Any colder you will need ot use the furnance to keep the tanks from freezing. Any warmer I would use the Heat Pump. Too narrow a band for me to justify installing one.
My cutoff for freezing is around 28 degrees before I really start to worry about stuff freezing up, and that was in a popup I have been known to crank the catalytic at 60 degrees when it was damp just to take the chill off. I have arthritis and cooler damp weather doesn't help it. My big thing about the catalytic is no battery power is needed so it would work as an emergency backup if you get caught somewhere with no way to keep power up. It also helps keep the thermostat at a lower setting by providing warmth in the area where I am sitting. FWIW if we the full custom route on our 80 I am seriously considering putting in a marine style fireplace

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #30
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We have always used the stove top for heat when no power for fans on main unit.
Took off the black pot holders first.

I like the idea of a dedicated heater that uses no power though.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Portable Catalytic Heater

I just purchased a Paulin Tough PUP portable cat heater. I think they are fairly new. Maximum output is 8000 btu's. It's designed to be used indoors and has a low oxygen sensor that shuts the unit down if too much oxygen is consumed. It seems to be well made...steel construction. It will run off disposable propane cylinders or can use a standard adaptor for larger refillable cylinders.

I just tried it and it seems to work well. I think it will be a nice supplement to the furnace while boondocking, so I don't run the AS batteries down so quickly. The test will come over Thanksgiving when we boondock in Yosemite for 5 days with subfreezing nighttime temps.

I also bought an outdoor 14,000 btu unit that attaches to the top of a standard refillable propane cylinder. This will be nice for sitting around under the awning.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #32
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We want to hear, in great detail, about your trip to Yosemte.
Hope to make that trip in the next few years.
Photos will be required too.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #33
Dreamin of Streamin

Currently Looking...
Lakewood , Ohio
I spent 4 days bookdocking at the end of October, the weather was bad, with a rain/snow mix most of the time & temps in the lower 30's. (I know, what luck I have when choosing vacation time!) But my main furnace is dead and the catalytic kept us warm like a pro and didn't suck much propane. We stayed about 72 in the trailer with it on low the whole time. Amazing in how the same Airstreams you use to enjoy the great outdoors can help you forget about them too.
1rivetshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
We want to hear, in great detail, about your trip to Yosemte.
Hope to make that trip in the next few years.
Photos will be required too.
Are you specifically thinking of going during Thanksgiving, or would you like to hear about Yosemite in general? We go there every year, at different times, but never in summer as it gets to crowded. Spring and fall are best. We went for Thanksgiving for the first time last year and had a ball, even though it rained alot. It snows there too that time of year.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We got snow there in the last week of May one year. Ya just never know...
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
So True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
We got snow there in the last week of May one year. Ya just never know...
It's looks to be a stellar Thanksgiving weatherwise at Yosemite this year, Dave. I think I contributed to the nice weather by purchasing a new rain jacket, and (so nobody thinks this thread is hijacked), 2 CATALYTIC HEATERS! But, as with Sierra Nevada weather...the one thing you always know is..you never know.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The PUP works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
I just purchased a Paulin Tough PUP portable cat heater. I think they are fairly new. Maximum output is 8000 btu's. It's designed to be used indoors and has a low oxygen sensor that shuts the unit down if too much oxygen is consumed. It seems to be well made...steel construction. It will run off disposable propane cylinders or can use a standard adaptor for larger refillable cylinders.

I just tried it and it seems to work well. I think it will be a nice supplement to the furnace while boondocking, so I don't run the AS batteries down so quickly. The test will come over Thanksgiving when we boondock in Yosemite for 5 days with subfreezing nighttime temps.
The consensus is in. The PUP exceeded my expectations and woked great. I used it the entire time while in Yosemite. Nighttime temps were in the low 20's, and it kept the AS warm no problem. Even though I had a 12' hose to use with my 20lb refillable cylinder, I used disposable 1 lb cylinders the entire time. The reason is I purchased a $12.99 valve that allows you to refill the disposable cylinders from the 20lb cylinder. The refill process takes 1 minute per cylinder and fills it to about 75%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite_20061126_0633_2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	29071  
Old 11-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Hi, sounds like a good time up there, such a beautiful valley.

So, how much was the PUP, how many disposible cylindars did you use, about how big is the catalytic area?

I was going to spring for the Olympic model, but if this (or something comparable) works in 20 degree temps, I may try it. Any further pros and cons or other brands you compared would be appreciated. My primary heater is beginning to have "issues" so I need to do something soon.
Thanks, Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Dave,
They claim 2.8 hours on high (8000 btu) and 5.5 hours on low (4000 btu) mper 1 lb cylinder. I went through about 1 cylinder per day running it in the morning and evening so their claim sounds about right...no science here. I think the catalyst size is about 4- 6 inches square, but I didn't measure it, I'm just quoting from my feeble vacation ravaged memory. You can pick one up on line for less than $90 +shipping. The only other cat heater in this class is the Mr. Heater Buddy, which offers many of the same features.

My intent for using this was as a supplement to the AS propane furnace in order to save the batteries while boondocking. I think I ran the AS furnace for about 5-10 minutes the whole trip.

If you Google Paulin Pup, you can get more information.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks! I'll check them out.