View Poll Results: How do you like your catalytic heater?
Love it, use it all the time. 23 46.94%
Hate it 2 4.08%
I use it in addition to the furnace 19 38.78%
I use it as the main heat source 14 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
fyrzwot - are you going to install a furnace as well in the 21'? or rely solely on the catalytic heater? i didn't think they worked well for sole heat source. i'm wondering what i should do in my 22' flying cloud.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have a furnace, I mainly use the catalytic when boondocking to save battery. It heats great - it's radiant heat, you don't get the air blast, but it works good. But then, we're in Calif.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If I am in a campground and have shore power I will use my electric heater first as it is portable, and thermostatically controlled. If this is not enough heat I will turn on the Wave 6 catalytic heater. Rarely do I have to turn on the furnace. I will if needed and it quickly brings the temps up to where the catalytic heater and electric space heater will keep up.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Does any one know why a propane catalytic heater for home use, which cost about 1/4 what a similiar RV heater cost, is marked "Not for RV use"? Both seem to be about the same.--Frank S
Old 11-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi--Does any one know why a propane catalytic heater for home use, which cost about 1/4 what a similar RV heater cost, is marked "Not for RV use"? Both seem to be about the same.--Frank S
I'll bet the phrase "not for RV use" is code for "I did not buy liability insurance to cover me in case you put this in a very small space without adequate ventilation and asphyxiate yourself".

It would be nearly impossible to do that in a "house"...lots of air, and leaky.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #20
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Chuck--That's what I thought, also.--Frank S
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I'll bet the phrase "not for RV use" is code for "I did not buy liability insurance to cover me in case you put this in a very small space without adequate ventilation and asphyxiate yourself".

It would be nearly impossible to do that in a "house"...lots of air, and leaky.
Are they safe to use though?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Are they safe to use though?
I guess that depends on your definition of "safe". (and I'm just guessing about the liability thing...).

I don't use mine right now, because I have a 3-year-old, and the thing is mounted right where he could (and undoubtedly would) touch it and burn himself. so its not "safe" in that sense.

I don't think its any different than any other appliance. handle with care. Lots of stuff in there is potentially deadly. there's "deadly and familiar", and "deadly and NOT so familiar"...the latter is scarier than the former, but not necessarily any more dangerous.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Chuck,
You ought to think about a life of politics.....
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
I guess that depends on your definition of "safe". (and I'm just guessing about the liability thing...).

I don't use mine right now, because I have a 3-year-old, and the thing is mounted right where he could (and undoubtedly would) touch it and burn himself. so its not "safe" in that sense.

I don't think its any different than any other appliance. handle with care. Lots of stuff in there is potentially deadly. there's "deadly and familiar", and "deadly and NOT so familiar"...the latter is scarier than the former, but not necessarily any more dangerous.

So you dont know is what you are saying

and the
My Blog

Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Chuck,
You ought to think about a life of politics.....
wait 'till you see me define the word "is"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
So you dont know is what you are saying
No, I'm saying that it all depends on your situation and your own perspective. There's a bunch of ways to heat a trailer, and they all have their own advantages and dis-advantages. As with other appliances, you're quite literally playing with fire and explosive gasses, so there's always some potential hazzard. "Safe" is kind of a relative term. so, "compared to what?" If you're asking if I would go to sleep in a trailer with one of these things on all night, then I'd say, "yeah, its safe". just make sure you leave a window or vent cracked, so it doesn't consume all the O2 in the trailer. I think some of the newer ones have an O2 sensor that will shut them down in the event of a low O2 situation, but I'm not sure if that requires electricity. maybe those would be " a little safER". IMO, if it "needs" electricity, it defeats the purpose of this device. but thats another discussion...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I think they are great if it is say 35-50 Degrees. Any colder you will need ot use the furnance to keep the tanks from freezing. Any warmer I would use the Heat Pump. Too narrow a band for me to justify installing one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Its gonna have to get alot colder than that for the tanks to freeze. water freezes at 32...the freezing temp drops as other stuff is added to the mix. you'd have to be living in the trailer in a northern climate for that to become a problem, and I wouldn't imagine there are too many people boondocking in that sort of living arangement. That seems to be the biggest selling point of these things, to me: heat w/o electricity. If you don't need that...well, you don't need it.
some trailer's tanks are inside, above the floor; any heat keeps them from freezing. Like I said, it all depends on your situation.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:

No, I'm saying that it all depends on your situation and your own perspective. There's a bunch of ways to heat a trailer, and they all have their own advantages and dis-advantages. As with other appliances, you're quite literally playing with fire and explosive gasses, so there's always some potential hazzard. "Safe" is kind of a relative term. so, "compared to what?" If you're asking if I would go to sleep in a trailer with one of these things on all night, then I'd say, "yeah, its safe". just make sure you leave a window or vent cracked, so it doesn't consume all the O2 in the trailer. I think some of the newer ones have an O2 sensor that will shut them down in the event of a low O2 situation, but I'm not sure if that requires electricity. maybe those would be " a little safER". IMO, if it "needs" electricity, it defeats the purpose of this device. but thats another discussion...
I didnt mean catalytic heaters in general, specifically I was wondering if the ones manufactured for home use are safe to use in an AS. So, I am looking for a clearer anwser to Franks question.

and the
My Blog