Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
I have the 4th alternative, the Dickinson Fireplace, that I installed in 2006. . . Use it every summer while camping for three months in the high Rockies. . . No electric hookup needed, and the propane use is very efficient. It is safe to run anytime because it uses fresh air and exhaust outside the trailer. Never use the forced air furnace because of electric demand, and the fireplace doesn't need any because it works great without the blower. Really toasty, and attractive too!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
dickinson fireplace

okay, they look nice and efficient. Which model did you install? not certain of your floor plan, where did you install?
thank you and take care
hoosier
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Hi Hoosier,
I installed the P9000 just inside the AS door, to the left. . . on the end of the kitchen cabinet, containing the cooking stove, so the gas line is already located in that area. . . a folding countertop was removed to make room. Intake/exhaust pipe goes up to the ceiling and out. . . A serious, but fun job to accomplish. All very easy to maintain on an annual basis because of its simplicity.

If you do a search for "dickinson fireplace" you will find a number of threads listed. . . Check out "A Fireplace in the Airstream", and some of my experience is related there, including a photograph of our installation location.

I purchased our Dickinson from Discount Boat Supplies. Propellers, Inflatable Boats, Pedal and Fishing Boats, Jack Plates and much more!. Dickinson also has a website that provides complete information concerning their products and installation requirements. If I could start all over again, I would have made it my very first modification in 1996 and enjoyed it all the more.

Merry Christmas!!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Dickinson P9000 propane hookup question. Their install manual shows independent propane runs from a manifold distribution system so that one appliance doesn't starve another appliance.

Wave 6 catalytic heaters are installed in many cases by putting in a tee in the stove top propane line along with shutoff and quick disconnect. I assume there isn't a problem with the stove top on and the heater on even thought they share a common 14" low pressure line.

A Dickinson P9000 can be mounted anyplace there is wall or cabinet space. Is there a difference in hooking up to the refrigerator line or hot water heater line? Does Airstream run independent lines or is the hot water heater and refrigerator share the same line? I am looking at the 2012 FC 25A which has the refrigerator and hot water street side. A possible mount space is on the aluminum wall between the TV and window.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Another thought. On the 2012 FC 25A the furnace is at the sink area. If the folding shelf is removed (not sure that would be allowed), then the propane line to the furnace would be easily accessed. Since the furnace is 25,000 BTU, teeing that line should be not be a problem.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
Hiya, I have my wave installed how you mentioned. I use the attached feet. also have a fairly long hose so can angle and move to different directions. no noticeable useage problems with the stove/ oven or the furnace.
I just figured out why my lp alarm was sounding. it was from and empty propane tank. no more problems, and staying quite toasty. using both cat and furnace..leaving bath vent open... thank you everyone for the information.
take care and grace and peace hoosier
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
atlantic city , New Jersey
I know this thread is old... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I'd rather use one of these, since it avoids the excessive electricity consumption and noise of the forced air furnace.

Dickinson Newport Propane Boat Heater / Fireplace, P12000, Dickinson Marine's largest propane model, is ideal for boats up to 30/36 ft. The combustion process is completely isolated from the inside of the boat by the unique, direct vent design. A built-in blower provides good heat circulation for your boat.
  • Bulkhead mounted boat heater / fireplace
  • Non-rust stainless steel construction
  • Unaffected by motion, winds or weather conditions
  • Fuel Consumption: Low 1 lb - 5.5 hrs, 20 lb - 110 hrs, High 1 lb - 3.9 hrs, 20 lb - 78 hrs
  • Heat output for the P12000 is 7,000 - 9,700 BTU
- Bart

I looked into this for my own 22 foot Argosy. I like everything about it but.. online it says the BTUs are only 4-5,000 BTUs. The furnace that came with my 74' Argosy had 16,000 BTUS so I'm wondering how on earth this would keep things warm? I was leaning towards a catalytic heater because of the fact that I plan to boondock a lot and they don't require electric. But i read that they're not safe to run at night, and you have issues with CO2. The furnace I know is noisy, and runs on electric, so Id need a tremendous amount of solar to run it. Does this type of boat heater that is listed here - the marine one, also mean that my tanks will have nothing warming them? I mean except for the water heater.. i'd be on m own with that lol Sorry if the questions are dumb I am new to this.
girasoledonn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lp alarm, safety