Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Youngsville , Louisiana
Catalytic Heater

We have a 2006 32’ Classic. I’m considering adding two small catalytic heaters. Wave 3’s. One in the Living area next to the door on the side of the sink cabinet. The furnace is also under this cabinet so I believe I could tap into the propane there. The second would be in the bedroom on the wall that backs up to the bathroom. The water heater is there and I believe I could also tap into the propane there. I’ve seem others install a floor model of the larger Wave 6 but don’t want a cord and floor stand to navigate around constantly. Looking for pros and cons from anyone who has done this sort of thing. Of course there would be appropriately place monitors for propane leaks and carbon monoxide, etc. and a vent would be left cracked near each unit. Thanks.

Barnbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
My understanding of the propane safety regulations is that you can't tap into propane lines within the trailer. If you do the work yourself there is nothing to stop you, but I don't think a good RV repair facility would do this for you. If the hook up doesn't meet code requirements then it could affect your ability to sell or trade your trailer.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
not sure where you came up with that info..

its fine to Tap into lines within the unit as needed.. only issue is the size of the line, which most are 3/8 which will flow enough gas for some 40K btus which will be plenty for a wave 3 or 8 and the stove with all burners and the stove running at the same time.

you cut the line, install a flare T and add lines to wave applince, leak check and be happy.. no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
My understanding of the propane safety regulations is that you can't tap into propane lines within the trailer. If you do the work yourself there is nothing to stop you, but I don't think a good RV repair facility would do this for you. If the hook up doesn't meet code requirements then it could affect your ability to sell or trade your trailer.
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
not sure where you came up with that info..
My dealer wouldn't tap into a propane line within the trailer.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Well that may be because they don't want to have the liability but it's not a big deal
Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dealer probably doesn't have a flare tool!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
As lame as that sounds it could be very well true
Old 11-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the issues with winter use of an RV is moisture in the vehicle. The way that catalytic heaters get their "improved efficiency" is by dumping everything into the living space. The moist "smoke" from the propane burner in the furnace has a significant amount of heat energy in the moisture.

How much of a pain dripping windows and walls are is very much a "that depends" sort of thing. If you have a lot of air exchanges or if it never gets real cold .... maybe not a big deal.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We have the big Olympic heater in the salon in our 34' Classic. The heat output is great, but left uncontrolled the moisture becomes hillarious. Everything is wet, and I mean wet! Cracking to he roof vents helps maybe 90%
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Well that may be because they don't want to have the liability but it's not a big deal
I would think that safety with propane would be a 'big deal' for most people. BTW, the dealer is a fully equipped and licensed propane facility.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
I would think that safety with propane would be a 'big deal' for most people. BTW, the dealer is a fully equipped and licensed propane facility.
So have they said why they will not do that for you seems pretty straightforward I work on LP gas and natural gas systems all the time like today for instance I've already worked on three natural gas system so gas is not a big deal but it's like anything else it has to be handled and dealt with properly your car with a quarter tank of gas in the tank is probably more dangerous than your wave heater but then again everything is relative
Old 11-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Jeffersonville , Kentucky
The main line is on the bottom of the belly pan, just have them or you, drop the line straight down through the floor and "T" it into the main line. If leak occurs at connection, it is outside of the trailer.
Dremel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
So have they said why they will not do that for you seems pretty straightforward I work on LP gas and natural gas systems all the time like today for instance I've already worked on three natural gas system so gas is not a big deal but it's like anything else it has to be handled and dealt with properly your car with a quarter tank of gas in the tank is probably more dangerous than your wave heater but then again everything is relative
They advised that the RVIA regulations did not allow for tee connections within the coach. It was not a big deal to tee outside the coach and run the dedicated supply to the fireplace. Perhaps the RIVA regs are why all of the gas appliances (fridge, DHW, stove, furnace) all have dedicated supply lines.)

I don't know for sure, but as the refrigerator is already the #2 cause of RV fires perhaps they didn't want take a chance on a propane leak ever developing inside the refrigerator compartment where there is an open flame.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
agreed,, by the way what is the #1 cause of RV fires?? So why would the dealer not recommend running a new line from under the coach so the poster could hook up his heaters?? a bit more work for sure but not a big deal.

I know there are lots of guy that have tapped into the LP lines for heaters over the year and most have not burned downn..

For me a Tee behind or under the reefer would be acceptable as that area does communicate with fresh air.. a flare fitting tee with proper connections would be as safe as the one that are on there now..

Plus when you think about it the LP detector is in, or at least in my unit, in the area the kitchen near the floor. The reefer is open to outside air which is good, the stove is enclosed but up high and the furnace is totally enclosed.. seem to me the best would be to have another LP detector in the area near the furnace so if there is a leak the detector will pick it up quicker..

Quote:
They advised that the RVIA regulations did not allow for tee connections within the coach. It was not a big deal to tee outside the coach and run the dedicated supply to the fireplace. Perhaps the RIVA regs are why all of the gas appliances (fridge, DHW, stove, furnace) all have dedicated supply lines.)

I don't know for sure, but as the refrigerator is already the #2 cause of RV fires perhaps they didn't want take a chance on a propane leak ever developing inside the refrigerator compartment where there is an open flame.