Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Carrier V A/C

Just turned on the newly installed Carrier V/heat pump A/C yesterday in the 84 Sovereign for test..
I have to tell you that this is ONE cold A/C!!
It's soo cold inside, you can actually feel it on the outside door handle~!!
The installation was not without problems tho..Had to move it slightly as the control head fitting was off on the inside. Looks good now.
If you're thinking about an upgrade for your A/C, this certainly one unit to consider.
Pictures later.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Additional thoughts:
Just push the Carrier Air V A/C thru a rigorous testing, temp outside was near 98* and, inside it was well under 50's as it was going full blast~ (It was like a meat locker inside..)
One minor drawback is the lack of drain, hence the water (what water there is) drips off the side of the unit..
Water heater is installed and, the by-pass was hooked up as well.
Upgraded the safety list: LP Detector, CO Detector and, Smoke Detector all located in place.
Wheel bearings repacked for this year. (Annually)
New break away switch installed.
Temp repairs to the sewer vents gaskets removed and, the proper gasket seals installed.
Soon it will be time to start buff'in the outside skin again.
Floor project is going to be next..
In a nutshell, that's about it..lol
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
Really Cheap

If I may ask how much was it exc shipping?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just proactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdougald
If I may ask how much was it exc shipping?
For the A/C only..Just under 1k, not including shipping and labor cost.
Not bad when you consider that the first one was still working after 21yrs..
Just didn't want to take a chance later on while traveling for a failure to happen.
53Fc
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
TMCDougald, for another price, if you shop around and do it yourself, search the forums for Air conditioner and pattersontoo. He found an excellent source, if you want to put it in yourself, which isn't hard. Also, he has some solutions, as does Inland RV, for the drain.

I'm putting a Carrier on this weekend. I will actually put an elbow and a tube in the drain part so that it drains on the street side, as opposed to the curbside like it does now.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Hey Vern

What did you do with the prior unit?
Was it an Armstrong?

Are you sure about the drop in temp from 98 outside and (at least same inside) down to below 50 degrees...... I fear a mis-print or a bit of an exagerration.
Where were you measuring the inside temp? Perhaps the actual exhaust of cold air at the register was 50 degrees but are you trying to say that the temp say in the forward compartment was that chilled? If so better call Guiness's Book.

Is this the 15000 BTU unit?
Does your trailer have the built in drain hose?

Have you seen Inland Andy's claim that you can connect your slinger tray to that line with a little modification? Whachya think bout that possibility?

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Sorta..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Hey Vern

What did you do with the prior unit?
Was it an Armstrong?

Are you sure about the drop in temp from 98 outside and (at least same inside) down to below 50 degrees...... I fear a mis-print or a bit of an exagerration.
Where were you measuring the inside temp? Perhaps the actual exhaust of cold air at the register was 50 degrees but are you trying to say that the temp say in the forward compartment was that chilled? If so better call Guiness's Book.

Is this the 15000 BTU unit?
Does your trailer have the built in drain hose?

Have you seen Inland Andy's claim that you can connect your slinger tray to that line with a little modification? Whachya think bout that possibility?

Flicka
Flicka,
The other unit that I took off is put aside..it's complete and works.
I may put it up for sale, real cheap..(local pickup)
No, it wasn't an Armstrong unit..(I'd kept that one, if it were...lol)
You know, the unit was parked inside the shop and, not directly in the sun..As for the claim of temp..I have only the tech in the shop word for his measurement. Where he took the readings, I couldn't say but you're most likely correct.
When I went inside to check the work, it was cold, I mean it felt like I'd stepped into a meat locker..(goosebumps type of cold)
Now that it's outside, I'll run it again and..see what it comes in at..
Yes, it's the 15,000 btu unit w/heat pump.
My unit does have the built-in drain hose and, I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't hooked up.
I need to review Andy's comments about the drain as it's still not too late to modify if need be..
At this point, I felt it was wise to replace the unit's A/C while it was still working and, could be done at my conveniences.(cost/time wise)
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 12-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
1977 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Richland , Missouri
Carrier V A/C

I bought a Carrier V and installed the interior drain incorporating Andy and Pattersontoo's suggestions. Essentually I drilled a hole below the condensor coil and installed a fitting that I hooked the drain line to.

I have a question myself that I'd appreciate info on.... How did you folks that installed the Carrier V install the interior grill? Did you "flatten" the ceiling or file the grill or ?????

thanks

dale
w5wi is offline   Reply With Quote