Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I found a site that has 15,000 btu carriers on sale for $389. I was ordering some things for my RV from an RV dealership who works on Airstream and they told me that the Carrier will not fit on the Airstream correctly. Something to do with a pan. They told me the only air conditioner for the Airstream was a Duro-Therm penguine.

I would like to order the carrier but not if it is going to fit correctly.

Brian

Is this the low profile unit?
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Just type in 15000 BTU RV airconditioner on sale and see what you get. I do not want to promote any one company. This is what I copied cut and pasted for you.

... RV AIR CONDITIONERS AND ACCESSORIES > CARRIER 15000 BTU AIR V RV AIR CONDITIONER 99 00468 08 ... THE WE WANNA COMPETE WITH SANTA SALE PRICE IS: $389.99 ...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Just type in 15000 BTU RV airconditioner on sale and see what you get. I do not want to promote any one company. This is what I copied cut and pasted for you.

... RV AIR CONDITIONERS AND ACCESSORIES > CARRIER 15000 BTU AIR V RV AIR CONDITIONER 99 00468 08 ... THE WE WANNA COMPETE WITH SANTA SALE PRICE IS: $389.99 ...
I took a look at the site selling this unit and the price is just for the top half. You need to also buy the bottom half of the unit which would be an additional $80. It's still a good price for that unit. I like the low profile unit better and that is what I put on my trailer. Mine is a 13.5K LP with the heat strip.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I took a look at the site selling this unit and the price is just for the top half. You need to also buy the bottom half of the unit which would be an additional $80. It's still a good price for that unit. I like the low profile unit better and that is what I put on my trailer. Mine is a 13.5K LP with the heat strip.
To bad it is not the low profile Carrier unit. I currently have a Carrier 15000 BTU unit just as described
CARRIER 15000BTU AIR V RV AIR CONDITIONER 99 00468 08

Its about 4 years old and works great. I had thought about buying another one just to keep on hand if mine were to out. But I would want the low profile. On second thought I think I will just hold off until I really need one and see whats available at that time. I hope that will be a few years from now.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
If I can obtain a Carrier low profile 13.5 A/C unit, what do I need to communicate to an installer who is not exclusive Airstream?
(for my '78 Tradewind)

I gather Carrier doesn't need a drain pan...
will it need to hook up to the drain hose?

So, it needs reinforcing in the ceiling when my Armstrong is removed? and alterations due to interior or exterior curves? What would that entail?

Don (adonh) thanks for your post a month ago... am making slow mental progress toward a new A/C unit due to the fact that life is busy (good-busy). Great info... so just clarifying.

And, am I correct in my understanding of the archives, that my first choice should be the Carrier Low Profile, then if I cannot find one, then try the Dometic Penguin Low Profile (but that needs me to order a drain pan from Airstream)

And 13.5 k for the 25' trailer?

Help me be sure to have my ducks in line.

(No, I don't think I have the skill, strength, tools, know-how to install it myself. I sure appreciate your knowledge!)

By the Bay
By the Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by By the Bay View Post
...So, it needs reinforcing in the ceiling when my Armstrong is removed? and alterations due to interior or exterior curves? What would that entail?...
You can see the Armstrong pan here, with all its tabs along the edges. You can bend the tabs down with a mallet (gently, gently) and leave the pan in place. That will give you a flat surface for your new A/C. You can also see the reinforcement wood pieces I used to provide the stiffness in the shell, but the pan should do that by itself.

Sometimes it's difficult to get the old A/C off of the pan, so removing the pan is the best option. If you do that, you need to put rivets in all the old pan attachment holes in the shell.

Both these threads show how to put the reinforcement in between the inner and outer skin. In my Caravel, the inner ceiling skin was realtively flat, which made installing the diverter and control panel a snap. The Overlander, on the other hand, was curved like the outside, and I maintained that curve.... Oops. Wish I had flattened the inside shape--the diverter doesn't fit worth a crap. One of these days...

The center ceiling skin is not structural. I repeat, NOT. In the Overlander, I've cut it into 4 sections to make it more manageable. For one person, it is almost impossible to get the single piece ceiling removed. It is definitely impossible to reinstall it by yourself.

Zep

Tags
airv, carrier, air conditioning