Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Carrier AirV bad motor bearings?

Just got back from the maiden voyage of the season. So relaxed I feel I have been gone for a week. There was however one technical difficulty.

I fired up the Carrier AirV heat pump and heard a low rumble and felt a vibration that was not there last year. I thought it was compressor related but the vibration was constant even with just the blower running. Less noticeable at low speed and more so at high speed.

I figured there might be a mud dauber nest on the condenser fan, and looked up the problem before getting out the ladder. The common problem is for the evaporator fan to crack at the hub. However, after pulling the cover, both fans are fine and clean.

My issue seems to be the motor bearings. They don't have any slop side to side, and the shaft turns freely, but there is some play in the shaft, about 1/16" where it can move front to back, that is along the center axis of the shaft. When running, you can see the shaft and fan wheels oscillating as the shaft slides in and out of the motor.

I assume this much play in the shaft is not normal? Maybe there is something on the condenser fan as it is not completely visible without removing some extra shrouds?

I've attached a photo. You can see the shaft runs through the motor with a fan at each end. As seen in the photo, the play in the shaft is left to right. It isn't a wallowed out bearing type of play.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5310011.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	239651  

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
As you see I didn't get any replies but I have fixed the problem so am posting a follow-up.

This evening I decided to pull the top cover off the condenser fan shroud so I could look at the backside of it. The fan hub is recessed on the back and there was a small mud dauber nest tucked away in there.

It was easily removed and the unit is running smooth now. I also measured the end play (proper term) on the shaft and it's a little less than 1/16" which is within spec.

Hindsight being with me I should have pulled that other cover on Sunday afternoon, but then again I had just gotten home from a nice weekend and storm clouds were starting to gather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1986.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	239857  

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's the best fix!!