Old 06-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Caravel Furnace

Just pulled the furnace. Wanted to replace it with an Atwood or NT but the ever present wheel well is in the way. Has anyone replaced their caravel heater. What did you use and how did you do it. The original has an unpleasant hot metal smell. If not does taking them apart, repainting, ect improve the smell.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The Hydroflame furnace is basically a metal cylinder with a stove burner inside it. Maybe it has deposits inside the cylinder which are causing the smell. Ours doesn't have that problem, though each trip seems to shake soot out of it. Let me know what you find out about disassembling it. Pictures would be great. I plan to keep mine running as long as possible.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile blow it out

When I purchased my Safari a couple of months ago I also had a smell, as well as a headache . Tried to adjust the flame but it would not burn blue, just yellow. Bought a CO detector and it went off after a couple hours of running the furnace so I had to stop using it. On the way back from Wisconsin I stopped at a little RV repair facility in Missoula, just off Hwy 93. The gentleman there was very helpful and after looking it over, decided that the furnace was clogged up. So he used his compressed air tank and a long wand and blew the burner box out. Had to remove the outlet and screen to get the wand in.

You should have seen what came out of that thing! Clouds and clouds of soot. For 30 min he blew air in it and I tapped on the box from the inside to help knock it loose. After a while it came clean. He then replaced the outer flange for the inlet-outlet and sealed it with putty tape. Hasn't smelled since, nor set off the CO detector. Works great. I speculate that the outer screen became plugged, then it ran rich and sooted up the furnace box.

Before I would buy a new furnace I would check all of the same things - screen, blow out burner box (wear a mask), and remount the outside flange with new sealing tape (kind of a putty tape). If your furnace has no cracks in the box that should take care of it.

john
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'll post some pics. Suspect they're on the site somewhere but will post them anyway. Pulled apart the unit and derusting. Looks like an aspestus gasket. Will clean up the works and paint with high temp paint. There is some soot in the exhaust side. I think I may get this to work. Backup plan is a case of Sam Adams. No. Thatls the backup plan for the shower resurface. Lookin good.
Need high temp gasket stuff???
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Paul.

DO NOT "EVER" blow out a combustion chamber of a Suburban furnace.

It is very possible to distort the chamber as well as rip a seam apart, AND destroy a gasket. You would also "assume" that the gaskets and combustion chamber are OK. All too often, they are not.

A Suburban furnace must be removed, set up on a bench and taken apart.

Removing all the dirt and rust becomes very easy by just tapping on the combustion chamber. Tilt the chamber side to side and them dump out the dirt etc.

Following that procedure also allows you to inspect the gaskets that do fail in time. It also allows you to inspect the combustion chamber for any rust holes.

Most importantly, you have not created a problem that you don't need.

Safety is the issue.

Andy
Old 06-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Paul, a prior owner removed the furnace in our Caravel, and replaced it with a catalytic. It is fine for heating the Caravel even in sub-freezing temps, and has the dual advantages of (a) giving back some storage space and (b) not requiring battery power.

Just FYI. Some folks don't like catalytics so you may want to stick with a furnace anyway.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
Mine seams to heat well it just makes a god awfull noise when the fan starts up, it's not to bad when it runs,any ideas? (76 overlander)Is there a place to oil it?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I am in the process of rebuilding it. The easy part, taking it apart. However the rust cleaned up good with naval jell and there are not cracks or damage to the heater box. If I can find a gasket material for the temperature I'll put it bakc together and expect it to be fine. Yes there was lots of junk in the intake and exhaust tubes. I don't think anything else would fit in the space.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Andy, what do you recommend be done to maintain the Hydroflame furnaces?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stephanie.

All furnaces used in RV's, should be removed, disassembled, cleaned, replace any bad gaskets etc, every couple of years or so, depending on usage.

The more it's used, the more often it should be bench inspected.

Why?

Safety. We all have read or heard stories of people found unconscious because of "carbon monoxide."

Since all RV's have a very confined space, it would not take much of leak to reach a level of carbon monoxide that could cause deleterious results.

PM of any "hazardous" source should never be a "given," it should be an "absolute must."

Unfortunately, all to many RV owners usually ignore many safety standards, until it's too late.

Sad, but true.

Andy
Old 06-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks, Andy, good advice, as always...

Old 06-09-2004, 11:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
I'll post some pics. Suspect they're on the site somewhere but will post them anyway. Pulled apart the unit and derusting. Looks like an aspestus gasket. Will clean up the works and paint with high temp paint. There is some soot in the exhaust side. I think I may get this to work. Backup plan is a case of Sam Adams. No. Thatls the backup plan for the shower resurface. Lookin good.
Need high temp gasket stuff???
You might try this stuff from ACE HARDWARE:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=search
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=search

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel