Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

you might find it interesting but we are starting to use stranded wire for transformer jumpers in the utility industry.

there are many oldtimers that still insist on using solid #4 wire for common transformer installations. we have found over time the stranded equivilent #4 copper wire handles power line vibration much longer.

one of the more interesting trouble calls i got was a 200 unit retirement complex with part power, some residents were trapped in the elevators. when i arrived i found the solid wires feeding the transformers had broken due to vibration caused by wind blowing over the conductors. the installation was less than 10 years old.

when it moves or shakes stranded wire is better.

since we have to deal with what is standard in the rv industry upgrading the outlets is a good idea.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina

Quote "I've been using the oil-filled radiators for as long as I can remember. They WILL NOT need the fan blowing behind it, as they set up their own convection currents and will warm the entire trailer. I had 2 in a 40' MoHo and they did the whole thing nicely!"

Interesting, Warm air tends to rise and cold air tends to sink so convection currents certainly work for you. Still, I found that, although most of the time I did not need a small fan to circulate the air when using a radiant heater, when it was really cold, like 40F and down, a small fan really helped. Could it be my imagination?

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote