Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Can A/C fan cycle on/off too?

Hi.
My Armstrong 12 A/C is working strong as it should in my 1978 Safari. Cools the 20' of airspace quite quickly! My question is with the fan, it stays on the entire time you are plugged in and only the cooling part cycles on and off. Is there a way to make the fan kick on and then it start cooling only when the thermostat tells it to? Then after it has reached the desired cool temp, all turn off? Then repeat again. This would be just like your home ac system that cycles the fan and compressor on and off at the same time.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, John.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrauk View Post
Hi.
My Armstrong 12 A/C is working strong as it should in my 1978 Safari. Cools the 20' of airspace quite quickly! My question is with the fan, it stays on the entire time you are plugged in and only the cooling part cycles on and off. Is there a way to make the fan kick on and then it start cooling only when the thermostat tells it to? Then after it has reached the desired cool temp, all turn off? Then repeat again. This would be just like your home ac system that cycles the fan and compressor on and off at the same time.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, John.
No easy way that I know of.

The continuous fan takes advantage of all the cooling that was generated, plus keeps the air circulating.

When the fan shuts off, the air becomes very still, quickly.

Andy

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
John, we have modified our Armstrong a/c to do just this. All it took was an electronic household a/c-heat thermostat. I of course left the heat part of the equation unhooked, and only hooked up the low fan speed.
This will only work if you have the remote thermostat. The integral thermostat takes more doing.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
There are a few reasons not to change this, some of which Andy has alluded to.

First, your home air-conditioner is ducted to many areas of the house. Your Airstream air-conditioner is a single-point source and depends on the fan to continue pushing the cooler air to the ends of the trailer.

Second, the evaporator in your air-conditioner stays cold for awhile after the compressor shuts off and the fan continuing to run puts that cold out in the trailer.

Finally, your home air-conditioner probably has the outdoor compressor and indoor fan on separate circuits off a 200 amp panel while your RV air-conditioner has both on a single circuit. Starting the two motors simultaneously increases the voltage drop each sees at start-up and will probably reduce their lives.