Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2002, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Camping World - No A/C Pan?

Well I was all set to run to Camping World and replace both A/C units with Coleman Mach PS units but Camping World does not have the replacement pans for Airstreams!

I did find a fin straightener do-dad at Lowes so I may just try to clean the units, straighten the fins, and caulk the pan, and clean the drain. My biggest issue is the leaking inside the coach.

I guess when these go bad I'll either replace them myself or pay through the nose to an Airstream dealer to replace them.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Air conditioners

The air conditioner on my motorhome was toast when I bought it; the polisher/detailer that is working on it recommended the Carrier AirV unit over other units available. According to him (he has installed several for his customers) it has superior cooling capabilities and is quieter than most. The one downside to this unit is that "- Also got to make a water drip catcher for your AC, the Carriers have no drain, they need to fine tune the Fan Box!!" (his quote). He is an aluminum fabricator and has built this drip catcher before.

Our unit finally moved to the front of the queue and will be ready to pick up and drive home July 1. I'll post pictures on our website as soon as I can. In addition to the new AC we've installed two Fantastic Fans and eight AstroPower solar panels (820 watts) on the top. He modified the battery box to accept four Trojan T-105 batteries and installed a Solar Boost 50 controller; except for the AC we can power everything using solar power.
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

There is a converter/ adapter for the Coleman units that would allow you to connect into the existing drains in the walls. You may have to contact Coleman but I think it was discussed in a thread right here on our forum. This would allow you to use the Coleman units and drain them properly.

Good luck
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 05:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I did a search for Coleman.

Per "Parts-Andy" (InLand):

"The Coleman pan that is available will not fit the new Coleman AC units, unless you modify it. We have them in stock.Andy"

Everyone else was searching for the elusive pan.

Should I not already have a pan there connected to the drain system? Granted, it may not work with the new Coleman units. Maybe I can clean and seal the pan. Do the pans tear or break?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Fred. The drain pans are plastic.Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Thanks Andy! I did notice that when I was up there and took off the shrouds. They did split at the corners. The plastic design explains why you need new ones. I would not so upset if they leaked OUTSIDE the coach. It's the inside leaking that has me irritated.

It looks like there is very little clearance between the pan and the unit. Things are too easily trapped in the tight space.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Fred. Carefully remove the AC to completely inspect the "pan." It can be repaired with hot glue, unless it has become very brittle.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote