Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Camping World AC installation

Does anyone know if Camping World will install a Carrier A/C unit I purchase myself separately? I know they install the units they sell, but I am unsure if they would install mine.
chuman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The second question you may want to ask is: Do you want Camping World to install your A/C?
I have no personal experience with them, but there are some strong feelings that have been voiced here, based on past experience by members. Maybe they'll join in.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Camping World AC installation

Greetings chuman70!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuman70
Does anyone know if Camping World will install a Carrier A/C unit I purchase myself separately? I know they install the units they sell, but I am unsure if they would install mine.
The last time that I had work done at Camping World there was a notice posted in their waiting room that they only installed parts/accessories sold in their store or through their catalog. Even if you had purchased your air conditioner from Camping World, there is a possibility that they would refuse to install it on your Airstream. When I inqured about having an air conditioner (that I intended to purchase from them) installed on my '64 Overlander, their response went along the following line of logic:
  1. If you are replacing an existing air conditioner that does not mount through a regular vent opening, it was not a job that they would consider -- this would eliminate most older and Vintage coaches that have the Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioners.
  2. If it is necessary to cut an opening in the roof rather than to utilize an existing vent (virtaully all older Airstreams -- I know this applied through the late 1970 or early 1980s at the very least) -- the job was one that they wouldn't consider.
I haven't been back since that trip, and the lack of interest shown by my nearby Camping World forced me to investigate nearby Airstream dealers, and it was my great fortune to be directed to Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA -- they are Vintage Friendly, and have performed flawless work on both my Airstream and Argosy.

Good luck with your search for an installer!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I had an A/C installed at Camping World that I purchased from them. I was very happy with the air conditioner, but very unhappy with the install. When I said something about it, all I got was a shrug, and a "what do you expect, putting a square air conditioner on a round trailer?"
I was able to trim the 2x4's they used as shims so the flatness was not too obvious, but it was installed crooked, as well as flattening the roof. Oh, yeah, and it leaked like a sieve the first time it rained.
I purchased a Winegard batwing TV antenna from them a couple of weeks ago, it is sitting in the trailer until I can get on the roof to install it. It will sit in the box and rot before I allow them to touch my trailer again.
And yes, mine is one of the stronger feelings alluded to in the earlier post.
This is only the CW in Fort Myers, your mileage may vary with others.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Chuman 70,

Think about this...............

Do you want a $15/hour tech with little formal training and NO CERTIFICATIONS working on your precious Airstream for flat rate time-dependant wages, or would you prefer a highly qualified, trained, CAREFUL and insightful tech doing the work and treating your trailer like it was his own? (AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT MYSELF HERE!)

I do quite a number of re-do jobs that folks have had done at their local Camping World. I shouldn't really complain, their ineptitude is great for my business.

Find someone or a dealer who has good, qualified techs and show some RESPECT for your property and look at you as a long term client, not just a fast buck to be made and forgotten.

Two old saws come to mind: You get what you pay for and.....You can pay me now or you can pay me later!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Or you can pay me now, then pay someone else later too.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
OK That decides it for me

Camping World is out. I am just looking for someone who can install my A/C since the local camper place here in Muscle Shoals said they would not touch it if it did not install in a vent hole. I want it done right and am beginning to think I may have to drive several hours to a dealer ( the nearest one I can find is in Cookville, TN--about 3.5 hours away) With current gas prices, I was hoping to stay closer to home. In an earlier thread I had asked if anyone could recommend an installer in NW Alabama and I got responses that said Camping World. If anyone has any other ideas, PLEASE help a newbie out!! Thanks!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Camping World is out. I am just looking for someone who can install my A/C since the local camper place here in Muscle Shoals said they would not touch it if it did not install in a vent hole. I want it done right and am beginning to think I may have to drive several hours to a dealer ( the nearest one I can find is in Cookville, TN--about 3.5 hours away) With current gas prices, I was hoping to stay closer to home. In an earlier thread I had asked if anyone could recommend an installer in NW Alabama and I got responses that said Camping World. If anyone has any other ideas, PLEASE help a newbie out!! Thanks!!!
Why don't you install it?

It's not that big of a deal.

The hardest part is getting the AC up on the roof.

Basic hand tools, the ability to read, a helper (to get it on the roof), a six pack of beer (5 for the helper and 1 for you when your done), a couple of hours or less, and the job is done.

Many here would be happy to guide you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Andy's right. My wife and i did it. Rent a six foot tall scaffolding from the local rental joint. Two people lift the Carrier AC onto the scaffold. then you and the other person get on the scaffold and lift it onto the vent. (Are you replacing an old unit? there's probably a hole good enough for the AC right there. Just get some 2" wide aluminum U channel and cut it with a hacksaw and put it in across the front and back of the openings to keep the skins from squashing. Use SS sheet metal screws, or rivet it with a pop rivet gun). then you go inside the trailer and attach the electricity and screw down the AC. that's it. Honest.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
stabilizer pictures?

Does anyone have anypictures of how to install the horizontal stabilizers? I just cant seem to get my head wrapped around how to attach them to the ribs. My Tradewind never had an A/C installed and I will have to cut a hole--which I am VERY uncomfortable with doing myself. Anyone have any step by step pictures for those of us who are somewhat constructionally challenged?
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Does anyone have anypictures of how to install the horizontal stabilizers? I just cant seem to get my head wrapped around how to attach them to the ribs. My Tradewind never had an A/C installed and I will have to cut a hole--which I am VERY uncomfortable with doing myself. Anyone have any step by step pictures for those of us who are somewhat constructionally challenged?
Thanks!
Lets start off at the beginning.

Your asking for photo's that won't solve anything, until, you tell us what you have.

The AC installations depend on the year and the model.

If your not "exactly" sure, then please post the trailer serial number.

We can better help you with that information at hand.

Andy
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Aha!! I have that ! You are the one who originally told me where my wire was last week. The S/N is L25T4J1913. It's a 74 Tradewinds.
Thanks much!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Aha!! I have that ! You are the one who originally told me where my wire was last week. The S/N is L25T4J1913. It's a 74 Tradewinds.
Thanks much!!
You need to get a 74 "service manual."

That will give you the basic instructions. It will be the best investment you ever made.

Once you have it, then it becomes very easy to guide you from there.

What model Carrier AC did you buy?

Andy
Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
I haven't bought one yet because I wanted to make sure I would be able to have it installed. I'm not having much luck locally with anyone who will put it in without putting it in in a vent. I want it done right, but no one around here feels comfortable cutting a hole in the roof. How do those things seal anyway? Would you recommend a 13500 BTU unit for my 25 foot trailer?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I haven't bought one yet because I wanted to make sure I would be able to have it installed. I'm not having much luck locally with anyone who will put it in without putting it in in a vent. I want it done right, but no one around here feels comfortable cutting a hole in the roof. How do those things seal anyway? Would you recommend a 13500 BTU unit for my 25 foot trailer?
Since you are in the Deep South, like us, I would recommend a 15000 btu unit, and get the optional heat strip. It's less than $100, and should be enough to keep you toasty on the mornings it is a little chilly.
The new A/C units clamp to the roof, and seal with a foam gasket. I put a Carrier 15,000 btu unit with heat strip in a SOB MoHo last Summer, it works great, and doesn't leak. The Carrier is nice because it has the powered distribution vents, a well as the air shower. The air shower is a vent that points straight down, allowing you to stand directly underneath and get cooled off when you have been outside.
Also, it does not require a drip pan.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Went with a Dometic Penguin AC, the drip pan is a must item from Airstream, the Airstream drip pan will only work with the Dometic Penguin. This is also typical on all new Aistreams...........

Camping World did the installation on my 65 Caravel, they cut a 14 X14 hole, wired it, ran a drip tube, and every thing went perfect, of course the tech was an expert, and has done a few installs, I made sure of that.

Camping World removed the 14x14x2 gasket from the Penguin, per Airstream, then they applied a tube of caulking to the bottom of drip pan, placed the drip pan over the 14x14 opening, make sure that you place a drop cloth on the floor, you will get some of the caulking dripping down, that is a good thing, they placed the air unit on top of the drip pan (a 2 man job), then installed the bolt.........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Condensation Drip Tube

I am having one put in now. My tech says the tricky part is some AC units need a little adaption to connect to the drip tube. Otherwise the condensation runs down the outside skin.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
overlander63,

I was pretty sure the 15k btu was what I needed. Don't want to be toast on those hot July and August days! Just to clarify, the stabilizers will go from side to side to keep the skin from sagging. Is that right? Does anyone have a picture of an installation of these so i can see how to attach them? Also, where can I get aluminum U-channel?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I know Camping World has it's customer base, but as far as I am concerned, I would not bring a go kart for them to work on, but that's just me.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
overlander63,

I was pretty sure the 15k btu was what I needed. Don't want to be toast on those hot July and August days! Just to clarify, the stabilizers will go from side to side to keep the skin from sagging. Is that right? Does anyone have a picture of an installation of these so i can see how to attach them? Also, where can I get aluminum U-channel?
The stringers "must" go side to side, and front to back.

This is what a Carrier looks like when installed correctly.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to mount any AC in a vent hole.

Inland RV Center, Inc. - Carrier A/C

Again, installing one is very easy. Many owners have done it themselves.

Andy