Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Call off the a/c shroud hunt!!!!!

What luck I have had, last week I found the door lock we had been looking for at a bargin price of $40. Today I had to take my son to the doctor in Tupelo about an hour away so while we were in Tupelo I stopped by this small used camper store a friend had told us the guy does great repair work on other brands. Nice guy I looked around he had a pretty nice selection of parts so I asked him about A/C shrouds and told him what I was looking for.
As alot of you know the problem we have had with our shroud our unit works great but the shroud is broken and by the time we paid shipping we are looking at about $350. Anyway the guy told me to come to the back , It looked like the graveyard for shrouds. He told me to bring my shroud in next time to be sure we got one that would work, I saw several that looked like they would work but was afraid to buy untill I new for sure. I told the man I would be back Friday and asked how much if one does work $30.00 what a deal. I'm so glad we found him in case we ever have to have some major repair work done. He said he had worked on Airstreams before but hated working on the plumbing?

Becky

Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hey Becky, great deal. We are headed that way thursday can you pm me the shop name and directions? We need one for our 71 and we will be camping, so we will have the AS with us. A phone number would be great to. Maybe we can find a deal.
Dawn

Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1963 19' Globetrotter
Graham , Texas
Becky , I am looking for a door latch/lock for our '71 ,31ft. soverign. Do you think he had any of those?
Jill
Old 04-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Check your private msg. I just msg you.

Becky
Old 04-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
AC shrouds

The original plastic shrouds from Airstream were made with a plastic that becomes very brittle in time, once it has become exposed to the sun.

Therefore an old "used" shroud is usually very brittle and it's life expectancy may not be very long.

Fiberglass, gel coated replacement shrouds are far superior to any AC shroud Airstream ever installed. Accordingly, they are not made in large quantities.

The last plastic shroud that the Airstream factory had was for the 76 to 79 trailers. Their price, back then was $365.00, plus shipping.

Shipping an AC shroud is not cheap since they must be packaged in double thick cardboard boxes, and must ship as an "oversize 3" carton because of it's size, which also means 90 pounds.

Andy
Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Of course, you could always reinforce the inside of the "new" used a/c cover with fiberglass mat and glue to add strength, like several of us have. That only costs about 20 bucks. Not a lifetime guaranty, but a good, cheap alternative.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-15132-12.html

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Jim,
After I have been up on the airstream this whole week re-sealing I took your advice and repaired I'm repainting the whole shroud in the next few day's will post a picture at that time. My broke spot was not as big as I had thought it was. It is the shroud that came on it 31 years ago and still has the blue band around it after the patch job and a new coat of paint good as new. It's not to brittle because I had to lean on it to seal some rivets. I'm so glad I did not have to replace with a new one not just because of the cost, the vintage look.

Becky
Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Jim,
After I have been up on the airstream this whole week re-sealing I took your advice and repaired I'm repainting the whole shroud in the next few day's will post a picture at that time. My broke spot was not as big as I had thought it was. It is the shroud that came on it 31 years ago and still has the blue band around it after the patch job and a new coat of paint good as new. It's not to brittle because I had to lean on it to seal some rivets. I'm so glad I did not have to replace with a new one not just because of the cost, the vintage look.

Becky

Becky.

The fiberglass replacements look "exactly the same" as the original shrouds.

Andy
Old 04-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Andy,
Do they come with the blue band?

Thanks,
Becky
Old 04-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Andy,
Do they come with the blue band?

Thanks,
Becky
The 64 to 69 and the 70 to 72 shrouds did not use any moldings, therefore no blue vinyl insert. Both of these shrouds are one piece.

The 73 to 75 and the 76 to 79 shrouds did use a molding along with the blue insert.

The purpose of the molding was to hide where the two halves of those shrouds were put together. Then the insert was used.

You can salvage the molding from the original shrouds and attach it to the new fiberglass shrouds, and then install the insert.

If the shroud disappeared, new molding and insert can be shipped with the shroud, as additional items.

Andy