Old 03-11-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Bycool evaporative cooler availability

TurboKool seems to be the only roof top mounted evaporative cooler readily available. Something about it just doesn't appeal to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B-0001-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	306084

Has anyone ever purchased and used the bycool?

Name:	australien-truck-air-conditioning-bycool-revolution-940.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	306083

Much sleaker. Lower profile. More functionality. I believe these used to be made or sold in Windsor, Colorado but don't believe it to be the case anymore. I have found links for overseas sales and was hoping they were distrubuted somewhere in the US. They are marketed for trucks, but see a camper version also. These links are to Dirna and Webasto who both sell it.
https://www.dirna.com/parking-cooler...oolers-camper/
https://www.webasto.com/au/markets-p...l-r-evolution/

Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Hi Jeremy, I didn't see your post back in March but I found it while Googling "RV Swamp coolers". I too plan on a swamp cooler instead of 2 ACs. I like the idea of being able to run it without hookups, run it while traveling so the trailer will be cooler when arriving at the camp site, and the ability of a swamp cooler to quickly exchange air and cool a space down fast. Of course you and I both know the effectiveness is dependent on the dew point, which in my neck of the woods is normally very low to non existent.

I looked at the Bycool but like you only found them on overseas web sites. In the past I have owned two TurboKool units with great success. They were both mounted on cab over truck campers. I found the TurboKool to be very efficient on both water and power. We would leave it run on low all day on one deep cycle while out on the lake in temps over 100 and return to a very comfortable camper. Now this was an 11.5 foot camper so the space was quite small but it did a terrific job and would freeze us out at night in dry weather. Even in damp weather it makes a great fan and they are reversible as well. In my campers I used a 3 gallon bug sprayer, fill with water and pump up some pressure and it would cool for hours. While driving it uses more water due to splash and the float bouncing around so a bigger source would be needed. It never splashed or leaked inside but I suspect it splashed onto the roof because it would always use more water when driving.

At 750 CFM that is approx double the CFM of the average AC unit and I can see it pushing the hot air out fairly quickly, even if using it just to bring the initial temp down then closing the windows and switching to the AC.

One of the problems for us is trying to get somewhere cool can take more than a day or two so we need something like this to make a trailer bearable while still in the hot, dry parts of the country.

I would be interested in your decision and maybe we can compare notes, as you know there is very little out there on RV swamp cooling.

edit: If you go into the drop down menu on the dirna site under "parking coolers" and select "discontinued products" you will find the Bycool listed there.

PS: at the risk of sounding like an expert, or a "pseudo expert", I have owned and operated swamp coolers since 1969. I presently own no less than eight and I am quite skilled at keeping them cooling at their best.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Brian. Would take advice from a pseudo expert any day, especially one with 8 swamp coolers. And at this point, would take advice from anyone as you are the first response to this 4 month old post. What I was looking for was a replacement for the 120# Armstrong AC that came original that I had never turned on. It was not practical for my purposes as we rarely camp with power hook up. Goal was something lighter, smaller profile, not a water hog and operated by 12V.

My research yielded 4 options for rooftop mounted evaporative coolers :

TurboKool. https://www.turbokool.net/
Mightycool. http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html
Dirna. https://www.dirna.com/parking-cooler...oolers-camper/
Viesa. http://www.viesa.ca/

TurboKool and Mightycool are readily available in the US. Viesa is a Canadian company and Dirna I believe is sold out of Spain.

.....................Cost............Weight.............Size
TurboKool.......$599............16#............... ..35"x22"x11.5"
Viesa.............$2085...........45#............. ....33"x29.5"x8.25"
Dirna.............$767.............34#............ .....33"x31"x6"

I couldn't see the Mightycool being effective for my use and it is a bulky box that would look awkward on a roof so that was a no go. The TurboKool is a bit better design, low cost, is very light, but still to me was not sleek enough.

The Dirna and Viesa units are aesthetically much better and have much more functionality and seem to be more efficient and are just what I was looking for. Trouble is, they are not sold in the US.

Viesa did respond to my inquiries rather quickly and will ship (price above includes shipping cost), but that was a bit steep pricing for even my over budget project.

Dirna was a bit more difficult to get information from and email responses were jumbled through translation. Nonetheless, I discovered they use Tec Equipment https://www.tecequipment.com/reno/ as a supplier. Unfortunately, Tec Equipment does not sell many (if any) of these and was not able to give me any information about it. Even the owner's manual is vague in terms of cut out dimensions needed, etc. I liked the look and the price though. Weight is a bit more than the TurboKool but it is very low profile at 6" height. Eventually, I was able to get one ordered although not sure which model it is! It is set to arrive on 7/22 (shipping from Spain). Which is great because I need to install it before I can proceed with the remainder of my interior remodel.

Glad to know your experience in terms of how much water is used for evaporative coolers as I was concerned about too much water being needed. Doesn't seem to be the case. Dirna reports water use I believe on high setting of 0.39 g/hour. The bug sprayer is a good idea. The Dirna has 2 models, one comes with a 5 gallon tank and the other is designed to tap into existing fresh tank. I am not sure which model I am getting but I was going to avoid tapping into the fresh water tank. The bug sprayer is a perfect option.

Am waiting to brag on the evaporative cooler until I get it, install it, and use it. I am baffled that these are not more popular in the US though!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Jeremy,
I will be eager to see the results of the Dirna unit. I also see that are a lot more options for tank sprayers now that there was back when I had my coolers on the campers. (back then the coolers were actually called Recair but they are the same cooler as the TurboKool, just renamed). One thing to note is that, depending on how dry the ambient air is, you may be getting up once or twice during the night to pump up the sprayer although in some regions the night air will have cooled off enough by the time the pressure runs out so that the water won't be needed.

I have thought about how I will supply mine as well and have thought about an RO system with a bladder tank. If you do decide to connect to your 12 volt water pump system is would be best to use some sort of bladder tank to keep the pump from cycling rapidly. The tank sprayer worked well for me back in my truck camper days, I even installed a gauge on it.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Brian. If you get time look through the installation and owners manual on the Dirna website. It's jibberish to me but I think they have built in a pump on the unit. So no need to pressurize??

Another advantage to the Dirna is all maintenance can be done from inside the trailer. No need to climb on the roof.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy9107 View Post
Brian. If you get time look through the installation and owners manual on the Dirna website. It's jibberish to me but I think they have built in a pump on the unit. So no need to pressurize??

Another advantage to the Dirna is all maintenance can be done from inside the trailer. No need to climb on the roof.
It looks like there is a pump in the water reservoir and a return line between the reservoir and the roof top unit so it appears that you won't need anything else. It looks like a really nice system, the only thing I noticed is the air flow stated is less than the air flow stated on the TurboKool by about 250 cfm. This could be part of why it is so stingy on water consumption.

The TurboKool doesn't use a pump inside the unit either, it simply picks up the water with it's cone shaped impeller and slings it around onto the pad in a mist form. Your unit probably uses pressurized water from the pump and sprays it onto the pad as opposed to the TurboKool which uses any pump to just transfer water into the sump.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
I just read the operating info on the Bycool and from the looks of it the pump is merely for transfer, it must pull water from a sump like the TurboKool. It has a timer that fills the water for so many seconds (choice of 3 durations) with an adjustable interval between durations.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Any updates on your project?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

San Marcos , California
Any idea why the Diesa unit is so much more expensive than the other options?
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Brian. Still patiently waiting. First delivery deadline delayed as the retailer says it was never shipped. Was supposed to have shipped on 8/31 now. Don't have much trust in the retailer so just hope they ordered the right unit and that it is on the way.

ebnelson. not sure why the Viesa is so much more expensive. it definitely has more functionality than the Turbo Kool but was very similar to the Dirna.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
it has arrived

started inquiring about this unit 9 months ago. there was very little information available from anybody with product knowledge in the states, and those abroad did not have the ability to answer questions effectively in English. so blindly ordered what i had hoped was the ByCool Revolution Camper evaporative cooler.

after much delay, it has arrived.

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	324329

it is the unit i was hoping for. a bit overwhelming to see all the parts. but also encouraging to know they sent everything that was needed for a complete install, including a tube of silicone caulk.

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	324330

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	324332

really like the appearance, size, low profile and weight. just as advertised. the control panel is slick and it even comes with a remote control.

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	324331

one big question mark i had was if it would fit in the existing opening. no one could seem to answer this question and the installation manual does not provide the needed cut out dimensions. was relieved to know it does. seems to have the same cut out dimensions as the prior Armstrong.

Name:	IMG_2563.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	324333

Name:	IMG_2562.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	324334

can't wait to get this thing installed so i can move on with my remodel.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
I can't wait for you to get it installed either! Is your dew point high right now? We've had a wet week here, swamp cooling is minimal.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Brian. install nearly complete. must say, the instructions were somewhat vague, although that could have been my inability to interpret. do believe they would have done better providing more detailed instructions. nonetheless, was able to work through it.

cleaned up corrosion and old sikaflex from roof first, then applied provided foam seal and applied sikaflex to interior of it for waterproofing. carried unit up ladder without help (only weighs 37#).

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	324535

Name:	IMG_2576.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	324536

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	324537

also placed foam seal around perimeter of unit, but turns out this never made contact with the curved roof. thought that to be odd as prior Armstrong was much larger and do not recall a similar gap. turns out it had a skirt around it that covered up gap so at some point will create something similar.

Name:	IMG_2586.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	324538

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	324539

no matter as interior seal held up just fine through 2 days of rain.

prior Armstrong cut out opening was same dimension as needed for this unit so no further modification needed. attached metal frame to existing supports on curb and street side of opening with rivets. then attached rails to frame which attached through roof to unit with 4 bolts. vent cover bolts to frame and control panel does as well.

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	324540

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	324541

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	324542

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	324543

there are several wires and tubes that come out of the back of the unit on the roof that need to come down through a separate opening. i did not like the provided plastic channels and silicone caulk so plan will be to use an aluminum watertight elbow.

water is pulled from freshwater tank via provided pump into a holding resevoir that feeds the unit. i installed this under the rear bed curb side. it came with a metal shelf and strap to keep it secure.

Name:	IMG_2597.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	324544
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #14

San Marcos , California
How is the noise level of the Bycool vs an airconditioning unit or Fantasic fan? My girlfriend is sensitive to noise, but a Fantasic fan running on low to medium all night is OK.

ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote