Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
BTUs for 22' A/S in Texas

Can anyone recommend a size for a/c on a 22' A/S in Texas? I have a '59 Flying Cloud and am considering the 11,000 BTU Penguin (recommended size by the company I intend on hiring to install). Would the 13,500 be oversized or too heavy? ..I understand reinforcement will be needed in the roof. Any specifics on how to do that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

John.
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

John, I would up size to the 13,500 BTU unit if I were you. It's no fun camping in the Texas heat if your A/C won't keep up. I have a 31' landyacht that originally had a 13,500 BTU. I installed a 15,000BTU and it cools wonderfully. I installed it myself and it took a full day to remove the old and install new. Camping World up in New Braunfels wouldn't commit to a install price, since AS are a bit harder to work on .

Best of luck,

David
San Antonio, TX
31' Landyacht
davidlaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
11,000 vs 13,500 BTU for 22'

I tend to agree with you about getting the 13,500 BTU Penguin instead of the 11,000 BTU for my 22' Flying Cloud. I checked the net and found the weight of the two to be the same (104lbs).

I would like to hear a good argument for the 11,000 BTU for a 22' if anyone has one. I am just trying to play 'devils advocate' ...

John.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: 11,000 vs 13,500 BTU for 22'

Quote:
Originally posted by jlawrence
II would like to hear a good argument for the 11,000 BTU for a 22' if anyone has one. I am just trying to play 'devils advocate' ...

John.
The only argument might be the fact that at night time, the 11K compressor will run a little longer before reaching set point, thusly removing more humidity from the air. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the 13.5K unit. You need that extra capacity in the hot Tx. sun.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Keep in mind that here in Texas; we have primarily 'two kinds of heat.' Dry & wet. What part of The Lone Star State do you plan on doing most of your travels? I live near the Coast - lots of humidity. The larger unit will cool your AS faster, but along the coast, it won't have time to remove sufficient amounts of humidity - then you have a mildew/mold [M&M] problem.
One of the primary reasons people are having all of the M&M problems in their homes is the high efficiency A/C units sold today - they cool quickly, but don't have time to remove the moisture, which is a breeding ground for the M&M.
I wonder if anyone uses a dehumidifier in their trailers when in storage?
talmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
11,000 vs 13,500 BTU for 22'

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone out there have an 11,000 BTU unit? ..if so, what size is your trailer, and where do you camp?

With the 13,500 could I supplement with one of those small portable dehumidifiers for trips with more humidity? Thanks for the info.

John.