Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2002, 08:29 PM   #1

1995 34' Excella
1969 21' Globetrotter
Steamboat, CO. Copperhill, Tn
BTU's

Hey Gang,
I see all the talk about what heater to go with.....
I am planning on living in Colorado this winter and my 31 ft.
has 2 catalytic heaters producing 6000 BTUs each. The original furnace was removed by previous owner to make room for batteries for solar collector.s I am just wondering if the these two heaters will be enough if I decide to boondock???
Old 11-27-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The original furnace heated the holding tanks, you won't have that with the catalytics, I bet they are going to freeze pretty quickly in CO. My 24 ft. mh has a 32,000 btu furnace, so 12,000 sounds pretty small. You also don't have the benefit of the fan to move the warm air for the other plumbing. Catalytic is good supplemental heat, but I think you are going to need the furnace.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

No.

You will need some method of keeping the water in the fresh and waste water tanks from freezing, as well as the under-floor water lines, as well as the drain pipes from the tanks to the valves. This is normally accomplished in an Airstream by the furnace blowing warm air through a duct into the tank areas. If you don't want to do that, then you have to use electric tanks and drain line heaters - which may well require a 24/7 generator.

In addition, efficient as catalytic heaters are, there is no way two 6,000 btu units will heat a 31 foot Airstream in a Colorado winter.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote