Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Blower Replacement??

In my 92 Excella the furnace comes on fine and ignites. After about 30 minutes the blower fan starts slowing down and makes a sound like a playing card in a bike wheel. Then will keep running slowly after furnace shuts off. I know the blower is below stove and it appears to be going bad. BIG job or not to bad? Should I have someone do it for me?$$ Any help appreciated as it is getting cold.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is a pretty big job to replace the blower motor. It is also an expensive part. Plus your furnace is 21 years old now. For many reasons I would consider total replacement of the furnace with a new one.

Replacing it, or even servicing your old one can be reasonably easy, or very difficult, depending on how your specific Airstream was built. Some furnaces come out easily. But on some, you almost have to take the entire cabinets apart to get at it. I have no idea which category yours fits into.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Thanks? Just kidding - how expensive is expensive? Is it easier to change blower if you change furnace also or is it all one piece basically?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1949 View Post
Thanks? Just kidding - how expensive is expensive? Is it easier to change blower if you change furnace also or is it all one piece basically?
To change the blower you will first have to remove the furnace itself. That can be fairly easy, or very difficult and that totally depends on your specific Airstream. They are all different. But it involves removing the exterior vent plate, and the hidden screw which holds the vent to the furnace, removal of the gas line, and the electrical wires, plus the heating ductwork. Then you have to be able to get it out of the cabinet it is installed in. That is where your specific Airstream can make things easy, or difficult.

Once you have the furnace out, you will then need to totally disassemble it as the blower motor is sandwiched between two blower wheels, the one for combustion air, and the one for moving air through the coach. Lots of screws, gaskets, wires and so on. Removal of the fan wheels requires long allen head T wrenches. BTW, I think the blower motor is in the $150 range but not at all sure about that number.

Then reassembly.... and re install it back into the trailer.

If you do it yourself, of course the labor is "free" and all you have is the cost of the motor. Having someone do it will be quite expensive due to the hours involved. And you still have an old furnace then, with a new motor, but combustion chambers rust out, circuit boards fail and so on. And each time you need to repair something, you have to go through the entire disassembly process again.

I guess that is why I would replace it with a new one if it were mine. You still have to remove and replace the furnace in the coach, but then it should last another 15 years or so. Say it is $600 for a replacement. Over 15 years that is $40 a year. Is that a lot, or not to you. I cannot say but you can.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like there is dirt in one of the blowers. The impeller is rubbing on it, which is the ticking sound you hear.
It may only require cleaning. After you remove the furnace.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Thanks all. I have a pretty good idea what to do after all your comments and reading a couple of things - I am pretty sure I am going to replace the entire furnace - might as well know what I have for sure. Thanks