Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Best rooftop AC unit available?

My AC is working fine, but when it goes I want to replace it as quickly as possible.

Any thoughts on the best rooftop unit available for a 30 amp trailer?

Thanks
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I have heard that the new Coleman heat pups are the way to go.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have a 13,500 BTU low profile penguin that has worked just fine for the last 5 years. I can't tell you whether it is the best available or not, it is just what I chose when it was time to put a new AC on the trailer. One of the most important criteria for me was that the AC be low profile, though. Most of the responses you can get here on the forums will just be anecdotal information, and we can only comment on the latest AC success or problem we have personnally been involved with.

Your best bet may be to find an RV dealer with a repair shop, who sells a variety of rooftop ACs, and ask them their opinion. They should have some ballpark statistics on what ACs last the longest, need the most maintenance, fail the earliest, have the most complaints, etc.. Having just made that list, you should probably also put together a list of features/performance factors that you think of as important. If having a low profile unit is a requirement for you, you may have to sacrifice something else. Some things that come to mind are:
-height of unit (high profile/low profile)
-BTU rating of unit
-actual performance vs. BTU rating
-noise level exterior/interior
-compatibility with condensate capture/drain
-vibration
-Heat strip compatibility/heat pump capability
-current draw at startup
-maintainability
-reliability
-common-ness of units (how easy is it to get parts/service no matter where you are)

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with Jonathan: Performance is important, but so is profile.

In any event, replacement is, thankfully, pretty straightforward nowadays. The hole is a standard size, and no extra reinforcement of roof is required. Very different from putting a modern RV AC into a vintage rig!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I have a 13,500 BTU low profile penguin that has worked just fine for the last 5 years. I can't tell you whether it is the best available or not, it is just what I chose when it was time to put a new AC on the trailer. One of the most important criteria for me was that the AC be low profile, though. Most of the responses you can get here on the forums will just be anecdotal information, and we can only comment on the latest AC success or problem we have personnally been involved with.

Your best bet may be to find an RV dealer with a repair shop, who sells a variety of rooftop ACs, and ask them their opinion. They should have some ballpark statistics on what ACs last the longest, need the most maintenance, fail the earliest, have the most complaints, etc.. Having just made that list, you should probably also put together a list of features/performance factors that you think of as important. If having a low profile unit is a requirement for you, you may have to sacrifice something else. Some things that come to mind are:
-height of unit (high profile/low profile)
-BTU rating of unit
-actual performance vs. BTU rating
-noise level exterior/interior
-compatibility with condensate capture/drain
-vibration
-Heat strip compatibility/heat pump capability
-current draw at startup
-maintainability
-reliability
-common-ness of units (how easy is it to get parts/service no matter where you are)

good luck!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Love my Coleman Mach iii. We put it on 6 or 7 years ago and haven't had any issues from it. My trailer is vintage and painted white so the low profile model was not needed although lots of extra bracing was needed. Love having the heat strips as they do save lots of propane while cold weather camping with hook ups. The Coleman is quiet and efficient as it can keep my trailer at 70 on a 100 degree with no shade.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I agree with Jonathan: Performance is important, but so is profile.

Lynn
I have a low profile Dometic Penguin. No mechanical problems except an occasional freeze up but it is noisy. I have been told higher profile units are less noisy.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I've been avidly researching this. If your priority is looking for next level performance, I would give the Dometic Blizzard NXT a look. It's still a 15k rated unit. Where it's significant advantage lies is in a much stronger and efficient blower, both to better engage the air volume to be cooled, as well as more efficient exchange of heat across the cooling coils. It also has design features like more curved airflow paths and condenser isolation, for more quiet operation.

One of their design goals was to produce a unit to help those RV's in the size range between 1-2 or 2-3 ac units. So I was particularly interested as I have a 27'FB living in sunny socal. The 27FB has a 1 or 2 ac unit option from the factory and I only have 1 12.5k dometic Pengiun. Sure, the Blizzard NXT is a tad taller than my low profile pengiun. But I rather that, than install 2x A/C units and incur the weight and power requirement penalties.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Steve,
Great to see another 'streamer in the Albemarle/Nelson area. We're getting to be quite a bunch. We are so close to Greensboro, NC, that I suggest we take our repair // replace questions to Out Of Doors Mart. They have been GREAT to us for the past 6-7 years, including an AC replacement on our 1999 Excella 30' a few years back. Call them. Talk to the repair desk. Ask for advice and prices. I heartily recommend them. Don't let the "retro" website put you off -- http://odmrv.com/
~GH
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Did you go with the Blizzard NXT? If so, what do you think of your new unit? Did if fit correctly?
Did you hook up the drain tube and did you need a drain kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I've been avidly researching this. If your priority is looking for next level performance, I would give the Dometic Blizzard NXT a look. It's still a 15k rated unit. Where it's significant advantage lies is in a much stronger and efficient blower, both to better engage the air volume to be cooled, as well as more efficient exchange of heat across the cooling coils. It also has design features like more curved airflow paths and condenser isolation, for more quiet operation.

One of their design goals was to produce a unit to help those RV's in the size range between 1-2 or 2-3 ac units. So I was particularly interested as I have a 27'FB living in sunny socal. The 27FB has a 1 or 2 ac unit option from the factory and I only have 1 12.5k dometic Pengiun. Sure, the Blizzard NXT is a tad taller than my low profile pengiun. But I rather that, than install 2x A/C units and incur the weight and power requirement penalties.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Steve,
Great to see another 'streamer in the Albemarle/Nelson area. We're getting to be quite a bunch. We are so close to Greensboro, NC, that I suggest we take our repair // replace questions to Out Of Doors Mart. They have been GREAT to us for the past 6-7 years, including an AC replacement on our 1999 Excella 30' a few years back. Call them. Talk to the repair desk. Ask for advice and prices. I heartily recommend them. Don't let the "retro" website put you off -- http://odmrv.com/
~GH
Hey another one from Virginia! Nice to see others somewhat in the area. I have to agree with Out-of-doors-mart. I used to live in Elon and always went there for parts and advice with our pop up. I do however, purchase things from them for our AS and they have the best customer service dept.
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The front a/c died on our Foretravel last year, so we replaced it. We had been warned that the newer a/c units are MUCH noisier than those they replace. The warning was spot on. The new one cools better than the old one did, so I'm happy. Our new one is a Dometic. It could have the optional heat strips, but the manual says they are only to be on for a few minutes to take the chill off, so we decided not to spend the extra $$$.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Coleman Mach 8.
Low profile, considerably quieter than the Dometic Penguin and made in the USA with fantastic customer service (unlike Dometic).

Installed an Easy start before putting it on the roof. Couldn’t be happier unless I put a mini split in.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
Did you go with the Blizzard NXT? If so, what do you think of your new unit? Did if fit correctly?
Did you hook up the drain tube and did you need a drain kit?
Yup, yup, and yup. This thread should answer those questions:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...de-195288.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Coleman mach 8 plus, heat pump and condensate pump. 15kbtu.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote