Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Extraordinaire

Best Price for roof A/C unit

I need to replace the 13,500 btu A/C on my 34 footer. I called the local AS dealer and they said $665 + $140 for install + tax just for the roof unit (Duo Therm - not high-efficiency). I was checking the Camping World catalog and they have them for around $550 plus $36 for installation. $36 for an install seems pretty fair to me. Is that for real? Or are they going to stack a bunch of other charges on when I get there? I'm not a club member so I'll have to add that to the price. Plus gas for a 2 hour drive. Does anyone know if there is a better deal than Camping World? If not I'm wondering what people's experience has been with Camping World? Since it's 2 hours away I don't want any surprises!

1991 60th Anniversary Limited 34' - w/out Hensley ;O)
1991 F250 diesel 4x4 - (retired farm truck/beast)

"It's a good feeling to be long."
joossens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
call them. make sure they will honor that installation price on your Airstream. I've read some posts about them not wanting to do an AC R&R on an Airstream.

Our brand new Camping World just opened yesterday - and it's only ten minutes away! I'm getting spoiled.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I echo Steven's advice. Get the service writers name before you drive in after he promises to honor the price. One thing to know is that the pan that allows the condensation to drain out the tube is not a standard feature on the Dometic. It runs approx $60.00 from a dealer. You may want to ask the dealer if they included it in their quote. The pan could be reused with the same make of AC, but it could also shatter, so the recommendation is to replace it with the AC.

One way to tell if they will try a bait and switch is to pull the inner air distribution box (ADB) and see if the AC is held to the roof with 3/4 bolts. If it is they should honor the price. The ones they do not want to do are the ones form the 70's they were riveted to the roof with 80-100 rivets. They will only do an install if you remove the old one for that price.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
call them. make sure they will honor that installation price on your Airstream. I've read some posts about them not wanting to do an AC R&R on an Airstream.

Our brand new Camping World just opened yesterday - and it's only ten minutes away! I'm getting spoiled.
I am in the same boat. I called CW today, told them EXACTLY what I had. CW told me they would charge their hourly rate times the hours it takes to remove my old A/C. If I want to take it off myself, they will honor their price ($73.00 here in FLA).
Terry