Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Penguin shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Although my trailer has only been through 3 summers, the shroud has started cracking at the screw mounts...
Jack,

Do you know the composition of your shroud? I know the vintage shrouds are ABS plastic like Dwight mentioned, but I assumed the later model were fiberglass.

Thanks,
Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Jack,

Do you know the composition of your shroud? I know the vintage shrouds are ABS plastic like Dwight mentioned, but I assumed the later model were fiberglass.

Thanks,
Tom
No not really. It's OEM. I guess its funny that this one went so fast. My Hi-Lo's shroud was 14 years old and never needed replacing, and my SOB and my '01 Safari each had reached the age of my current Classic and didn't show signs of failure.

My orginal question regarding the Camping World replacement was the fact that it was significantly lower priced than what my dealer was offering, which led to the potential of an issue of quality as being the reason for the lower price.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
New Shroud

Well I got excited and thought I took another picture of the finished product, I will tommorrow. Anyway, $119 shroud from camping world, used a sharpie and my old shroud as a pattern, and I have a new shroud. I had to cut 2 5/8" off the bottom of the Air Max (thats where it stands in the picture), then I made a template of the AS curve with cardboard...traced it ...and cut that out..lastly was the opening in the top and that was easy...just set the old shourd on top of the new one and traced, then cut it out. I finished polishing the area around the shroud today as well. Now its ready to mount! I did place it on top and am VERY pleased with the fit and finish! I'll post more pics as I get to the final mount on Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	31291  

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Question!

Camperski -

Saw the posted photo. Maybe I am missing part of the conversation, but and unclear on what happened in your desription....

Did you have the olds shroud (right) and used the new (left) as a donor to re-complete the olds shrouds 'bones'!? Or what??

I could see that the new shroud is likely NOT a exact fit for what you posted on the right.... hense, my abmittedly small 'mental leap' about the completing the old bones....

Perhaps more text with LOTS of accompanying PHOTOS!!!!! to help a poor trasplnted midwesterner out here in the Snowy SouthWest, The BLINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sun is coming, with more snow in tow!!!!, I'm told. I won't hold my breath! A skill I aquired when back east, and the Nor-Easters, Hurricanes and the odd storm, ALWAY caught EVERY WEATHERMAN/WOMAN with they collective pants around their ankles. DO NOT PANIC. Period. PERIOD. PEROID!!!!!!!!!

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Yeah ok ...I think

I made a new one, the outside measurements are narrower and shorter by 1.5", but it fis perfectly! I thought about using the old one to make a mold and fiberglass a new one...but I caught this dang polishing bug and it feels like thats become my lifes work......and my wife thinks it has. Anyway, I took a couple of pics before the sun went down today...and Saturday is being set as an aluminum free day...dang! But, I'll add more pics once its up top and mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud left.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	31334   Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud right.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	31335  

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get an RWS .177 airgun, a Bushnell 3.9-32mm airgun scope, and let the pesky vermin have it. Use Beeman hollow point 8 grain pellets.

Cook them in salt water for an hour or two, then make a pot pie.

That's one way to take care of the squirrel problem

Or be boring and just get a dog