Old 10-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Robin, My louvers turned out real nice. I might suggest sending him a pre polished panel for him to louver, this would make it much easier to polish. I'm not sure if he'll do this or not but worth a shot.

My A/c works great and would recommend one similar, just be sure not to over do it on BTU's I think mine may be a little big. Also, be sure and find a 110volt, I overlooked this and so, I need 50a 220volt for the A/C to work, unless someone can suggest a workaround to getting 220v out af a normal 30 amp site. I'll get any pictures you need.

Cory

Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
Let me mention what we did--you might not want to do the same thing but it may open up a different line of thought that may help solve your delimma.
We store our 34' at our home under our screened porch--squeaking the roof mounted AC in under the lumber was always a challenge and an aggravation. When the original AC died at 21 years old, it gave us an opportunity to rethink air conditioning. My father and brother have been in HVAC all their working lives so they were able to help with the technical part and the actual installation.
We took a new 15,000 BTU 120V window unit and made it a split system. The air handler is in the large cabinet in the bath (mid bath). I built a small plenum and ran 4 ducts (no small challenge) to distribute the air more evenly. The return is at the ceiling in the top of the cabinet (where the hottest air is). The condensate runs out under the camper.
The outside part is mounted inside a 'garage' on the front tounge area (this model originally came with horizontal propane tanks that lived in a carved out section of the tongue--those tanks are long gone and we use a regular tanks now). The space was perfect--keeps it out of the weather and is fairly well hidden. We had to run wiring and freon lines to connect the two units under the trailer (they are secured to the frame and belly pan like the gas lines are). This part of the unit is lightweight--25 pounds maybe. I took twice that weigh off in the massive steel propane tank supports so really have a net loss in tongue weight.
This would not be a job for joe homeowner--you have to have an HVAC person involved to some degree because of the wiring and freon lines but it is doable.
The system works great and all areas of the trailer are comfortably cooled. It also gets the unit off the roof which is the main objective--trailer also looks a lot better without the unit on the roof as well.
Just remember to insulate anything that cool air travels through (plenum, ductwork, etc.) because, if not they will condensate and that moisture will cause trouble.
Hope this is helpful to you in some way.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
We are on the right track

Thanks Cory and Bill.....et al.

I will need the louvers regardless of the system so I will call those folks this AM. Pre polish? Great suggestion.

The modified AC is something I am exploring too. The split AAP system was expensive and I could not work out a placement of the units and connecting lines.....many variables most folks don't have.

To do over again....? Cory did it the best way...take it to Twisted Silver. A GREAT job. Wish I had done it....but then again, look at the fun I would have missed.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Our business, Answer Center, has a "Server room" which overheats.

We bought a small portable air conditioner from Sams or some other big box store - brand name is "Amcor". It sits on wheels and is about 16 x 14 inches around, less than 30 inches tall. It keeps a 300+ square foot room very cool. The hot air exhausts out of a flex pipe that looks remarkably like a dryer exhaust hose. The flex pipe looks like it would fit perfectly into one of my bathroom vents.

If you're in a moderate climate, this might be something you could carry along in hot weather - and use to cool a garage or workshop when not needed for the A/S. The one we got was one of the bigger models. I've seen ones that are smaller than the one we got.

I've heard it said that home based units might not hold up well to the vibration of being carried in the trailer - but a portable could possibly go in the back of the truck.

Paula
Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Robin, you're a gluten for punishment? Boy, it sure would be nice to say "yeah I did it all myself" when someone asks though
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
My current plan is to use a window unit and vent it out the bottom through a manual operated door.
Aerowood

That will work, I plan to do the same......

Toastie
Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
old threaditis...but what the heck did you do?

Hi all, I am thinking about eliminating the roof mount air conditioner. and I would like to see some photos of what all you have talked about and done...How about it anything worth photographing, or did you all give up?
ol' bill
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Give up? NEVER!

I think I am going with a "thru the wall" sleeved AC. Not to be confused with a window or wall AC. I don't want to get involved with the plenum requirements of those. It can be mounted at a side location with a single louvered panel to the outside for required airflow...in and out.
Toastie is doing a nice installation of a room AC with a plenum...looks good.