Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Aux Heat Element Question

I have an 02 AS with the Penguin 11K btu AC with an Aux Heating element installed. The unit has the mechanical controls on the unit shroud. The thermostat does not seem to turn the heating element off when temperature is reached. Is this unit designed for the thermostat to control the aux heat or is it an all or nothing sort of control?

This is the first time I have used the aux heat and have no clue if the thermostat should control the heat function. Common sense says it should but I like to hear from someone who this specific type of unit.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I found an operating manual for my AC unit. The unit is a penguin 600 series. Believe it or not the owners manual says that the strip heat is not controlled by the thermostat. The heat strip is either off or on. I can't believe this design.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Right you are. All manual thermostat controls on direct blow A/C units refer strictly to the cooling section of the unit. If you have a heat pump, it would control that also. Your heat strip is either on or off. You will find that they do not provide a lot of heat, but will take the chill out of the air.

I had a couple of roof air units in a motor home for 5 years and found the heat strips to be just north of worthless for heating applications.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote