Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hackett , Arkansas
Atwood Water Heater Problem (pilot light)

The pilot light on my water heater (Atwood G10-2) is not staying lit. I have noticed for the past couple of months that the pilot light has been going out, but after relighting it the pilot would usually stay on for several weeks before going out again. I assumed that the wind was blowing it out. However, now I cannot get the pilot light to stay on at all.

I've been working with it for the past couple of days. I've cleaned out the tube that enters the heating chamber as well as the pilot assembly. Still no success. Usually, the pilot light will die out as I switch the control knob to the ON position. Sometimes, if I hold the control knob at PILOT for 2 or more minutes, then it will fire up and start heating. Invariably, however, after a few minutes of heating it goes out. When it goes out it almost sounds as if it is physically being blown out (like when you blow out a candle).

I am thinking that this is just a classic problem with pilot assembly. Does this sound reasonable? I plan to order a new assembly on Monday and try that.

Any feedback that you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Mr.T
sugarloafin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Sounds like a thermocoupling.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It could be a thermocouple, or the electrode for the thermocouple may have moved out from the heating area of the pilot. Check to make sure the electrode is directly above the pilot when lit, and move it into the proper position if it isn't. This was the problem with ours, I moved the electrode and the pilot now stays lit, even with a couple of 100mph gusts.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Sounds like a thermocoupling.Dave
Funnnyyyyy....
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
For what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It could be a thermocouple, or the electrode for the thermocouple ...
The thermocouple IS what rests in the flame's path.

A thermocouple is NOT made up of a thermocouple AND an electrode.

A thermocouple IS made up of a thermocouple and a solid wire harness which conducts its produced energy back to the control assembly.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The thermocouple IS what rests in the flame's path.

A thermocouple is NOT made up of a thermocouple AND an electrode.

A thermocouple IS made up of a thermocouple and a solid wire harness which conducts its produced energy back to the control assembly.

Tom
What he said...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
We had the same problem with our 1977 Bowen (Atwood) water heater. Went to a forums rally last weekend and asked for help. Several knowledgable folks said it probably was a plugged pilot light. This lets a very small amount of gas around a metal sleeve (not through a pinhole). We removed the pilot assembly to work on it (very easy). Since we were boondocking, I fired up my generator and a fellow rallier hooked up his compressor and blew out the pilot mechanism. This is all it took to get my pilot light up and running. Try this before buying any replacement parts.

Good luck!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hackett , Arkansas
water heater pilot light?

I installed a new pilot assembly w/ thermocouple yesterday. The water heater fired up and heated the water perfectly. However, after heating the water the pilot light apparently died out again. Now I'm back where I started. I'll hold the control valve knob on PILOT for 30 seconds and up to 3 minutes, but as soon as I turn it to the ON position the pilot light dies out. Any ideas?l
sugarloafin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #9

Chemainus , British Columbia
I've replaced my Atwood pilot assembly as well. No luck.

It died slowly as your did, so I'll let you know if I find a solution.
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
In the control valve there are a series of needle valves and the only thing I know to do is repace the main valve!!! Good Luck
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Coos Bay , Oregon
Mine used to do something similar. I replace the thermal coupler and cleaned the gas lines but still no luck. Until I adjusted the air mixture and adjusted the position of the pilot and thermal coupler. Now it works just fine. Hope my experience helps.
darryl97420 is offline   Reply With Quote