Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

2017 16' Sport
Panama City , Florida
Atwood furnance

I am wondering if anyone has removed their furnace in the 19 or similar airstream. I have a 2015 AS and the furnace won’t stay on or won’t light. I am living in my airstream as we were in the eye of hurricane Michael and my house is uninhabitable. I have watched all the utube videos and have replaced both the igniter board and sail switch. And, since we are not alone - there is a 3 month wait at Camper World for their next appointment. All Mobil Rv repair are also not available for months.
I have removed the outside trim and found the brackets that holds the heater to the platform that are accessed through the vents on the inside. I think all is left is the gas line and the videos say push it up into the area above the heater. On mine there is very little room up there to push it to. Is there something else I need to disconnect. My furnance only moves 1/2 inch?
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
You get someone to move the heater while you watch what is catching. I had to put some force to get the gas out of the way.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Along with your name, there is mention that you have a 2017 16', but your note says 2015 19'. I have taken the furnace out of our 2002 19' Bambi several times and perhaps that experience would be helpful for you. After disconnecting everything, our furnace does not like to move. Our problem is that the exhaust tube does not like to come out of the outside cover. I have successfully used WD-40 on the relevant location and then applied a lot of pulling force until the furnace comes free.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

2017 16' Sport
Panama City , Florida
Hi Tim. Sorry about the confusion. We had a 16 and was on a 6 week trip in eastern Canada when Michael started heading to Panama City. We got here 2 days after the storm and realized our house was unlivable and the 16 was too small to live in 6 months. We hope to get a new roof and the start of renovation next week. We traded in for the 19. I have no problem with the tube, it’s the casing coming out. Is there anything else holding it other than the brackets and the gas line?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
It has been long enough ago that I don't remember exactly everything that I unfastened to get the furnace out. What I do know is that it was all reachable and quite apparent. Of course, there could be something that your furnace is hanging up on (such as a wire crossing the back) and my brute force method could cause some additional problem. When I say brute force, I mean it. Cold nights (below freezing) and a non-operating furnace were my justification for my methods.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

2017 16' Sport
Panama City , Florida
Yea, I got it out. Thanks for the help Tim. It takes a lot of pushing and pulling as you said. Airstream has all 4 wires going to the furnance just on the othrr side of the inside wall. They also cut out the opening just as Atwood says - exact size. That means the screws hang up on the way out. Definitely this was not installed through the outside opening. Also they used Philip head screws to hold the duct in place. It’s a lot of fun trying to get those out to remove the duct.