Old 12-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Atwood Airconditioners Feedback

Hi dear members of this community!
We are in serious need of updating our 2 Ac units in the Avion and we found that the Atwood are so far the best deal out there.
We are not fans of a non low profile unit but since the trailer is already a monster, a few more inches in the roof will pass almost unnoticeable to the common eye.
I think there were few members that got the Atwood AC, will love your feedback.
Thanks again for all the help and hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas!

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
The previous owner had a new Atwood on our trailer when we bought it. Wired it up and tried it just to make sure it worked but haven't really used it for camping yet. It does stick up a bit high but not that bad, just high enough to make us get the taller more expensive door when they put up our new building. Shouldn't look that bad on a trailer as long as yours, and in Florida I'd be more concerned with the output than the sleek appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	202498  

Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
The previous owner had a new Atwood on our trailer when we bought it. Wired it up and tried it just to make sure it worked but haven't really used it for camping yet. It does stick up a bit high but not that bad, just high enough to make us get the taller more expensive door when they put up our new building. Shouldn't look that bad on a trailer as long as yours, and in Florida I'd be more concerned with the output than the sleek appearance.
totally agree with the output perspective.
We are extremely focus on the noise and vibration level, specially in the master bedroom.
Do you have the 15K Btu?
What's your experience with the noise and vibration?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Atwood a/c

We had the 15k and it was super quiet, didn't have to increase the volume of the tv when it was on and you couldn't tell it was running when you were outside the trailer . It cooled very quickly and we left the fan on all the time and when the compressor came you could hardly tell it. The heat pump worked very good, however we didn't get in any real cold weather. Our unit had a remote control but we hardly ever used it, we just set the temp on the panel at what ever temp we wanted, the panel tell you what the temp is and what you have it set at. I read somewhere you can run the 13,5k on a Honda 2000 generator, have got to see that to believe it. Would highly recommend the Atwood you can't beat them for cooling an Airstream.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57 View Post
We had the 15k and it was super quiet, didn't have to increase the volume of the tv when it was on and you couldn't tell it was running when you were outside the trailer . It cooled very quickly and we left the fan on all the time and when the compressor came you could hardly tell it. The heat pump worked very good, however we didn't get in any real cold weather. Our unit had a remote control but we hardly ever used it, we just set the temp on the panel at what ever temp we wanted, the panel tell you what the temp is and what you have it set at. I read somewhere you can run the 13,5k on a Honda 2000 generator, have got to see that to believe it. Would highly recommend the Atwood you can't beat them for cooling an Airstream.
thanks for the reply,
We are seriously considering the atwood, not only because we can replace both with a little more than the price of 1 coleman, but beacause the energy efficiency ratio, even the 2 15k can be ran on 30 Amp!
how about vibration and noise comfort?
In the Master Bedroom we literately have the ac unit over our heads and to run the Coleman Mach 3 while sleeping was not an option
Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Ours is the 15k and I didn't test run it too long since I was on a 100 foot extension cord. I didn't notice any vibration and it seemed quiet enough to me, but I have only had tent camping experience in the past. Can't say for sure it would be quiet while sleeping but I'm sure it's better than listening to some drunks boring stories from the campsite next to yours while laying in a pool of sweat in my old Coleman tent.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How much does an Atwood cost? My Dometic cost about $900. Noise is a positive in my mind. It masks noisy neighbors. I see it as a free white noise generator. The only negative is watching TV with it on.

Perry
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How much does an Atwood cost? My Dometic cost about $900. Noise is a positive in my mind. It masks noisy neighbors. I see it as a free white noise generator. The only negative is watching TV with it on.

Perry
Hi Perry,
We found the 15K where the heat pump is standard for around 650 shipped and times 2 it's almost buy one get the 2nd one 50%off, specially considering the 15K factor.
Noise and vibration is a Huge factor on our equation since we are very sensitive to them, but totally agree with you that sometimes neighbors can be a little to noisy, but the spray foam insulation is wonderful in that regard!
Just found some Dometic Brisk Air 13.5 for 500 as scratch and dent units, but not sure is in this case will be worth the saving 300 but in the hot FL summer they will not cool the 40Ft trailer, and so far it seems like the 15K atwood its equivalent to 18K so with 2 the trailer should be fine ...
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
American Bureau of Shipping standards for crew habitability are the only place I've seen noise standards for various types of occupied spaces. To qualify for a "HAB" (Habitable) rating, noise levels in a sleeping space should be below 60dB; for a "HAB++" rating, the standard is <50dB. Galley areas can be 15dB louder (75dB to 65dB), office spaces, recreational areas, and dining areas can be 5dB louder (65dB to 55dB). The difference between ABS standards and OSHA standards for noise is that OSHA only considers exposure while working, on an 8-hour time-weighted average. ABS considers that you're exposed to the noise 24/7.

Those seem to be good numbers to shoot for in an RV, if you want to be comfortable for long camping trips. Galley areas <75dB at a minimum and <65dB ideally; living areas <65dB minimum and <55dB ideally, and sleeping areas <60dB minimum and <50dB ideally. If you have a decibel meter app on your smartphone, you may want to run your AC, or your furnace, or whatever noisemakers you normally have running, and see how the noise levels compare to these values for different areas of your Airstream.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
$650 is pretty darn good if that includes there interior air box. I think about $100 of mine was shipping and about another $100 was for the heat kit. I got the 15k BTU and it does fine with my 31 ft trailer although we usually don't camp when it is above 90 degrees. Are you putting these on that BIG 5th wheel? Did you ever finish the interior? Where is the Atwood made?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
Hi Perry,
We found the 15K where the heat pump is standard for around 650 shipped and times 2 it's almost buy one get the 2nd one 50%off, specially considering the 15K factor.
Noise and vibration is a Huge factor on our equation since we are very sensitive to them, but totally agree with you that sometimes neighbors can be a little to noisy, but the spray foam insulation is wonderful in that regard!
Just found some Dometic Brisk Air 13.5 for 500 as scratch and dent units, but not sure is in this case will be worth the saving 300 but in the hot FL summer they will not cool the 40Ft trailer, and so far it seems like the 15K atwood its equivalent to 18K so with 2 the trailer should be fine ...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
NASA has these standards for habitation as well. I don't know if you can get the specs or not. I have a friend that did this for a living and I am sure he can find these specs. I remember doing some acoustic tests on the space station lab module and noise was a big deal for the astronauts. We were testing the vacuum system which is a series of tubes that dump outside to space. Periodically, they would dump tanks of gas generated from experiments overboard. This as you might imagine, would make a big whoosh noise. As a result of the acoustic tests we did, they had to go back and insulate all the tubes to reduce noise. Everything from fans to toilets has to meet certain noise specs. Our trailers are not a whole lot different than the space station. We can leave ours though but the astronauts can't.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
American Bureau of Shipping standards for crew habitability are the only place I've seen noise standards for various types of occupied spaces. To qualify for a "HAB" (Habitable) rating, noise levels in a sleeping space should be below 60dB; for a "HAB++" rating, the standard is <50dB. Galley areas can be 15dB louder (75dB to 65dB), office spaces, recreational areas, and dining areas can be 5dB louder (65dB to 55dB). The difference between ABS standards and OSHA standards for noise is that OSHA only considers exposure while working, on an 8-hour time-weighted average. ABS considers that you're exposed to the noise 24/7.

Those seem to be good numbers to shoot for in an RV, if you want to be comfortable for long camping trips. Galley areas <75dB at a minimum and <65dB ideally; living areas <65dB minimum and <55dB ideally, and sleeping areas <60dB minimum and <50dB ideally. If you have a decibel meter app on your smartphone, you may want to run your AC, or your furnace, or whatever noisemakers you normally have running, and see how the noise levels compare to these values for different areas of your Airstream.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

thanks for the info!
looking on Itunes for a decent decibel meter...will see what we find!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
wow....already got some readings the Mach3 in the living room from 72 to 83... talking about noisy!
a portable AC unit rated 12Kbtu is reading between 70 to 76....
and the atwood claims to have 62 in high fan and a little over 54 in low fan..
now the question is if these measurements are in done in from the outside unit or from the inside..
Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
$650 is pretty darn good if that includes there interior air box. I think about $100 of mine was shipping and about another $100 was for the heat kit. I got the 15k BTU and it does fine with my 31 ft trailer although we usually don't camp when it is above 90 degrees. Are you putting these on that BIG 5th wheel? Did you ever finish the interior? Where is the Atwood made?

Perry
the Atwood 13.5 is $545 and shipping like $120 and it comes with the whole ceiling assembly.
They will go in the 5th wheel Avion that is not fully done yet, walls are painted, woodwork redone- stripped , whitened and 2 coats of polyurethane, subfloor is in and all plumbing is done.
Good enough to full-time for the moment, but all the cosmetics still need to be done and slowly tackling the big stuffs, ACs then refrigerator, then all Lp and later washer...a never ending circle of RVing....