Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Atwood Air Command Air Conditioners

I got all fired up reading on the Atwood site their Air Command air conditioners have "16k or 18k equivalent performance". I just called Atwood and they sounded confused. They said they only make 13.5 and a 15K air conditioners and 16k and 18k was a mistake they were going to bring to the attention of their marketing department. Anybody have the experience that the Air Command ACs are more efficient at cooling, or is this just a marketing ploy?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
From their website, their caps, not mine:

“Air Command is the QUIETEST, MOST EFFICIENT air conditioner in its class, offering 16K or 18K BTU equivalent performance... THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY using the LEAST AMOUNT OF ENERGY.”

Atwood says they are tested in the Australian outback. I think they are made there too. My 13.5 works very well and is quiet on the inside as well as the outside.

My dislikes are that it’s pretty tall on the outside. I do like the look of the low profile units.

I don’t have is the consendation tubes hooked up. There wasn’t a kit when I had mine installed and I don’t know if there is one now. Not a big deal for me since I’m in the Southwest.

The gasket on the roof is designed for a flat top roof. I called to ask if there was a curved gasket for an Airstream and they said there wasn’t.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The keywords there see to be "equivalent performance". The question is is the statement true or just marketing hype?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quieter would sure be a big plus.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"equivalent performance"....hmmmm. I have log held, and have posted a few times of the things one can do to improve the many construction/design issues with all RV A/C units in order to maximize their output. It's not rocket science....poor separation of hot and cold side components, separating hot and cold input/output airbox flow...etc.

So..."equivalent performance" could just mean output btu improvement due to tighter quality/design control...not compressor/refrigerant output.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
For whatever it is worth:

I have been in touch with Atwood and they could not give me decibel stats on their "16K" vs. "18K equivalent performance ACs.

Since the "16K" is really a 13.5 and the "18K" is really a 15K the comparison seems meaningless because the comparison is to air conditioners which do not exist.

All they were able to tell me was the bigger Air Command 'blows more air".

I am not saying that the Air Command ACs are not more energy efficient and quiet, maybe maybe not, but I am dissapointed but not really surprised by the hype. I would really like to hear from members that have Air Command ACs
Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I guess I wasn’t clear. I do have the Atwood air command 13.5 K equivalent .
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
I guess I wasn’t clear. I do have the Atwood air command 13.5 K equivalent .
So since you have one, do you think the Air Command ACs live up to their claim:

“Air Command is the QUIETEST, MOST EFFICIENT air conditioner in its class, offering 16K or 18K BTU equivalent performance... THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY using the LEAST AMOUNT OF ENERGY.”

Did fitting the Atwood on a curved Airstream roof present any issue, and how was that solved?

If the condensate does not drain through the drain tube what happens to it?

Your Sovereign is a pretty big trailer and Palm Dessert can get pretty hot. Do you only have on AC? Does it do the job. Have you done anything else to control the southern California dessert heat?

Most importantly, are you satisfied with the Atwood?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I don’t have much to compare to. The old Armstrong wasn’t working when I bought the Airstream.

I ran it when it was first installed a couple of years ago. To me it was quiet but it did take awhile to cool down the trailer but it was 110 outside. Now I have a white roof so it should be a lot better. I ran it last week to circulate the fluids. It was only 72 outside but I was surprised how quiet it was outside. Inside all I heard was blowing air.

For the gasket, I reinforced the opening with ripped down 2x4s and snugged the unit down, but not real tight. The gasket foam is firm and doesn’t give much.

The condensate just runs down the side although there wasn’t much. If I would have planned better I could have figured something out.

I have realistic expectations. I didn’t expect 70 degrees inside when it’s 110 outside from a single rooftop unit.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My old 13.5 Dometic Penguin has an internal, not wall mounted, thermostat. I understand the Atwood has a wall mounted thermostat.

What is involved in adding a wall mounted thermostat?

Also the Penguin fan keeps running even after the designated cool temperature is reached. Does the Air Command fan turn itself on and off according to the thermostat?

I am in the process of adding Bus Kote to my roof on my 34. I did it to my 25 around 10 years ago (different brand same idea) and it really did help and is still in good shape.

When I get a new AC, probably will get the big one.
Thanks
Marshall
Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
My Air Command has a remote control and a flip down panel on the unit to control it. I don’t have a wall mounted thermostat.

I’m not sure if the fan shuts off. I’ll test it out this weekend.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I converted my Coleman AC to a wall thermostat. I needed a control board and thermostat(each for/from Coleman was $60-70). Just had to replace the manual controls with the control board and figure a place to mount the thermostat and a way to run the wires from the control board in the AC to the thermostat plus 12V + and -. Now the fan can be on continuously or controlled by the thermostat.

It would be cheaper to order the AC for a wall thermostat to start with.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Atwood AirCommand

I replaced my Dometic Pinguin 13,500 btu A/C with an Atwood Air Command 15000 Heat Pump with furnace control. I am very pleased with the
Heat Pump.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingair View Post
I replaced my Dometic Pinguin 13,500 btu A/C with an Atwood Air Command 15000 Heat Pump with furnace control. I am very pleased with the
Heat Pump.
Not sure what you are referring to. I thought the Air Command units were Air Conditioners. Are your talking about an AC here? that controls the furnace?? I know the AC has a heat function. Is this a heating element. Is this an Air Conditioner or a heat pump?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Atwood AirCommand

The 13,500 btu: AT15027-22 is an A/C with no heat pump feature. The A/C control board has furnace control.
The 15,000 btu AT15028-22 is an A/C with heat pump feature. This unit also has furnace control. Neither unit are made with electric heat strips. Both units have a thermostat with furnace control.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingair View Post
The 13,500 btu: AT15027-22 is an A/C with no heat pump feature. The A/C control board has furnace control.
The 15,000 btu AT15028-22 is an A/C with heat pump feature. This unit also has furnace control. Neither unit are made with electric heat strips. Both units have a thermostat with furnace control.
Sounds like technology has once again left me in the dust.

I know what a heat pump for residential heating is, but what is a heat pump in a rooftop RV Air conditioner?

Does the thermostat that comes with the unit replace the existing furnace thermostat?

Is the new thermostat wall mounted and hard wired to the new AC?

Will the new AC fan then shut off when set temperature is reached?

Do other new ACs have these features?

Is the 15K unit complicated to install?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My 2005 had an air conditioner with heat strips. The 2006 had an ac/heat pump. The heat pump only worked down to about 43 F. My current 2012 also has a heat pump that functions at 36-38 F depending on humidity, wind and how cold my toes are.

My simple way of understanding what a heat pump is... think of a window air conditioner. It creates cool air inside by displacing the hot air outside. Rotate the unit 180°in the window and you have a heat pump. The refrigerant being transformed from liquid to gas and back by a compressor controls weather it is absorbing heat or releasing it. (And I call a tech if I see evidence that something is amiss with that process. The EB actually blew its AC the night before I picked it up. Colonial pulled unit off of a new unsold Airstream and installed it so I wouldn't be inconvenienced. Class act.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

I know what a heat pump for residential heating is, but what is a heat pump in a rooftop RV Air conditioner?

Does the thermostat that comes with the unit replace the existing furnace thermostat?

Thanks

Atwood AirCommand owners manual pdf from Atwood should help answer most of your questions.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Thanks
Heat pump for an RV is the same thing. The outside part gets cold and the inside part gets hot. When a reversing valve is activated it acts like an AC the outside part gets hot and the inside part gets cold.

You have to order a thermostat with it or you wont get one. Some ACs also have condensate pumps you can order (so water doesn't run down the side of your trailer). You might be better off going to a dealer and talk to them. Ordering online could wind up like ordering a burger and just getting the meat, then it's oh you wanted a bun, you didn't say you wanted cheese and so on.

It's up to you if you want it to, unless you get one with a heat pump I would not bother hooking it to the heater thermostat. Most newer trailers have one thermostat for HP/AC and furnace.

If you order one that gets wall mounted and hard wired then yes.

You should have the choice of fan continuous or automatic with a separate thermostat.

Yes other ACs have choices of these features.

On an older trailer without the single thermostat often part of a "comfort control center" already installed it's not as complicated as ordering every thing right. You may need to put wood bracing between inner and outer skins of your trailer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Did fitting the Atwood on a curved Airstream roof present any issue, and how was that solved?
I have an Atwood installed on my 20' FC and the curvature of the roof was not a problem.

"If the condensate does not drain through the drain tube what happens to it?"

It runs down the side of your AS. Don't set your boots under the camper next to the entry steps...

Also, in my camper, the AC thermostat also controlled the propane furnace. Installing the Atwood AC required installing a new aftermarket thermostat on the wall just to control the furnace. The Atwood AC has its own thermostat on the ceiling PLUS a wireless remote control that can be operated from the bed.

"Most importantly, are you satisfied with the Atwood?"

I really like it. The remote control is very nice, as is the dehumidifier mode. The claim that it's a 16,000 btu equiv. is marketing hype, BUT... my 20' FC goes from HOT to meat locker cold very quickly.

Some people do not like that the AC fan runs nonstop... I like it because it's easier to sleep with the constant fan noise. It's very hard to tell when the compressor kicks on and off, as opposed to the factory Penguin AC that was very loud when the compressor kicked in. The Atwood fan is also much quieter than the stock Penguin unit.

The Atwood 3,500 btu will run on a Honda 2000... but: It has to be the only thing running, (refrigerator on propane mode), and the Honda cannot be in ECO mode; it's got to be running full throttle to turn over the compressor.

The answer: I wired in an Easy-Start, and now the Atwood runs perfectly with the Honda 2000i in ECO mode AND the refrigerator in "auto" (AC) mode. I've been boondocking in 95 plus degree heat with this setup, and everything worked perfectly. I really like the Atwood!

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote