Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Assistance please

I am looking for recommendations and feedback on replacing the A/C unit in our 85 Sovereign. What is a good make / model. Any inputs / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all of your help,

Beth
SCBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Drain

Depends if you are concerned with utilizing the Airstream drain tube. If not, you can use almost any unit.

If you intend to use drain tube, you will have to either buy a unit that comes with drain pan or make a drain pan for whatever unit you buy.

Of course the monetary issues are always prevalent.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you were not down South, I would say go with a smaller unit, one that could be run with one EU2000i. I believe each manufacturer does have a "Low Power Consumption" model. I would give those a serious look, if you are planning to use a generator frequently.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I know we are going to need something that is going to last. We are trying to work out all the kinks and whatnots as we have the A/S sold already to someone that is going to be a "Full timer"? I think I have that one right? Their plans inculde much travel so I am wondering if a larger unit would be more practical?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Cool Brands and resources

There are always units for sale at Ebay, just search "RV Air conditioner".

The Coleman is pretty popular available at any RV source.
The DuoTherm or AKA as Dometic is the inexpensive model
The Carrier has a drip pan feature but a high profile.

I have an old Armstrong in the back yard if you want it.
It is an original unit that works great, just not very attractive.

I would recommend the Coleman
Do as I say, not as I do though, I used the Duo Therm on my last unit.

Smily
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Smily,

Thanks for the information. I take it you were not pleased with the Duo Therm?

We attempted the Ebay side once before and are not willing to take the chance on this one. We prefer to put in something brand new as we have this unit sold and would rather the new owners have less problems. Quality counts and the A/S only deserves the best.

Any input on BTU? Any and all help I can get on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
15,000 BTU

I recently replaced the front AC (original Mach III, 13.5K BTU) on the '87 MH with a new Coleman Mach unit. The 15K unit was about a hundred bucks more than the 13.5. In my opinion, well worth it.

Got a good deal from PPL Motorhomes here in Houston.

The new coleman "almost" fits into the existing drain pan (the metal tabs on the front and sides prevent it from sitting entirely in the pan).

I opted to just let the front of the unit ride a little high, rather than take the unit down from the roof to remove the tabs.

New holes had to be drilled in the interior to fit the newer units mounting profile. (There was an interference with the drain pan on one of the mount holes.)

As an alternative, the new Coleman Mach came "self-panned" with outlets on the bottom front on either side. You could run a line from either of these outlets and tie into the existing drain line.

I opted to utilize the existing drain pan.

Also recommend going with the heat strip.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Duo Therm is okay

I dont have problem with the Duo Therm but you cannot adapt it to the drain tube without a drip pan, (optional equipment).

As far as BTU's, the units are manufactured with 13500 and typically have optional heat strip. 15k BTUs is better but as the other reply stated , the hole had to be modified and probably required a larger breaker which in turn requires larger wire.

I would stick with 13.5 BTUs as the Sovereign is not as big as the MH referenced above. It will fit the existing hole and wiring.

Smily
Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Wiring

Wire and breaker are non-issues.

Modern AC's are more efficient than those 15+ years old.

The 15K unit has almost the same amperage draw as the old 13.5, within a couple of tenths. The new 13.5's draw a couple of amps less, but any of the three popular sizes (11, 13.5, and 15) should utilize the same 15 - 20 amp breaker and wiring.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote