Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy 1 View Post
Help my Armstrong 12 unit. temp switch is on all the time. the comp. never turns off and it's cold is this part available anywhere? On unit thermostat
Yes though it's not going to be an exact replacement, but suitable replacements exist.
What you need to search for is "2-wire AC thermostat" A purely mechanical will be your closest replacement. If you want something more advanced, you want any digital unit that operates off of an internal battery (usually a pair of AA or AAA). then simply hook up the two wires The one from the transformer to the 'R' terminal and the one to the control relay to the 'Y' terminal. Though in a two wires setup it really shouldn't make any difference.
Sonce you are just wiring through a relay contact. The other failure possibility is that the control relay has gone bad and is stuck in the ON position.
With the AC off disconnect one wire from the thermostat. Then turn the AC on. If it starts then you need to look at the control relay.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Shroud repair 14 years later

In July 2004 (found in this thread), I repaired my shroud with Gorilla Glue and Fiberglass cloth.

The Armstrong stopped working a few years ago and work travel (50% in Europe) ate up weekends and the camper sat motionless. The travel has stopped and now I’m focused on the Airstream and camping again.

I will pull off the shroud in the next week, but here is what I know.
- tape repair on crack failed in first or second year
- paint was good for several but looks now like it did before my 2004 restoration.

I will add a bullet on the success/fail of the Gorilla / Fiberglass cloth. I know I didn’t see major issues last few times I cleaned the top.

Does anyone know of a place in Minnesota that does work on the Armstrong?

I know the HVAC guys in the small town I grew up in would have been able to do repairs on it, They would have enjoyed it. I live in the Twin Cities now (a few decades later) and I know that the job will be done right by someone who is interested and cares.

I would attempt some of this myself in my earlier career days as I had the time. I’m reluctantly moving to a world of paying others to do things I used to do or used to take on, because I would like cold air camping THIS summer instead of sometime in the next 5.
sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe View Post
In July 2004 (found in this thread), I repaired my shroud with Gorilla Glue and Fiberglass cloth.

The Armstrong stopped working a few years ago and work travel (50% in Europe) ate up weekends and the camper sat motionless. The travel has stopped and now I’m focused on the Airstream and camping again.

I will pull off the shroud in the next week, but here is what I know.

- tape repair on crack failed in first or second year

- paint was good for several but looks now like it did before my 2004 restoration.

I will add a bullet on the success/fail of the Gorilla / Fiberglass cloth. I know I didn’t see major issues last few times I cleaned the top.

Does anyone know of a place in Minnesota that does work on the Armstrong?

I know the HVAC guys in the small town I grew up in would have been able to do repairs on it, They would have enjoyed it. I live in the Twin Cities now (a few decades later) and I know that the job will be done right by someone who is interested and cares.

I would attempt some of this myself in my earlier career days as I had the time. I’m reluctantly moving to a world of paying others to do things I used to do or used to take on, because I would like cold air camping THIS summer instead of sometime in the next 5.

Love to find someone to work on mine.
THANKS
Lcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I have the Armstrong air conditioner we took off our 1966 Safari. Free to anyone who wants it.

PO let it sit out in the weather without a shroud, but it was working when we removed it from the Airstream.

PM me.

Interested if you still have it.THANKS
Old 06-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbknowso View Post
I’m so excited to find a AC guy to check out my Armstrong Bay Breeze. He’s charging me just $60 to put in a access valve to get e’r going to figure out the next move. Thanks to all you kind people who post so many awesome ideas to help us newbies. I was going to put in a Coleman Mach but paused after seeing your posts saying that the old war bird Armstrong is worth bringing back to life. I live in Illinois and AC mans from Broadhead WI.

Love to know the fellows name in Wisconsin and how good a job he did you. THANKS
Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
Decatur , Alabama
armstrong AC current

Can any of you guys tell me how much current the fan pulls with out the compressor on? My 79 unit draws around 5 w/o comp 17 -20 with comp. the unit will trip the 20amp breaker sometimes even in low.
DOCBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCBloom View Post
... My 79 unit draws around 5 w/o comp 17 -20 with comp...
The metal spec tag on my Bay Breeze states the 1/8 hp fan draws 2.2 amps at full load. I would think your motor would be similar.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #88

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
WESTMINSTER , SC
Vintage Armstrong air conditioner

I now have a complete 1974 Armstrong air conditioner. If anyone is looking for one or parts for one let me know.
Empkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
dexter , New York
Thank you for your reply ,I shut the unit down for a day then turned it back on it works fine , it must of frozen ? It can't keep it cool in here when it's hot 90s so any thoughts on using a portable ac on those few occasions when it just can't do it .
jonesy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCBloom View Post
Can any of you guys tell me how much current the fan pulls with out the compressor on? My 79 unit draws around 5 w/o comp 17 -20 with comp. the unit will trip the 20amp breaker sometimes even in low.
You may want to replace the breaker, they wear over time, particularly if tripped a lot, and will start tripping at lower and lower amperages.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Without the compressor running (essentially just the fan) mine pulls one amp.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redondo Beach , California
My 72 Sovereign Armstrong air conditioner has NO Shroud at all. The a/c worked when we plugged it in the day we bought it 2 weeks ago, but rainy season is coming soon!

What can I do besides buy the $500 fiberglass shroud? Is there another less expensive model? I hope.
ZoeZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redondo Beach , California
Would the 74 model have a different shroud than my 72? I need a shroud.
ZoeZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
This is the shroud I bought for our 76 with the Armstrong ac:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to do a little modifying with a scroll saw, and had to carefully plan where to attach four hold-down screws, but it fits fine, travels well, and the price, with free shipping, was nice.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #95
Reformed Engineer

1967 26' Overlander
1987 32' Excella
2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
_ , _
I have a TAC-110-1 Bay Breeze on a '67 Overlander Land Yacht. Condenser coil aluminum fins are badly corroded and crumbling. What are my options here? Can replacements be found? Can originals be re-finned somehow? Thanks.
EngiDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
I have been surprised at the small amount of archives regarding the famous Armstrong Air Conditioners found in many vintage Airstreams.

Chas (of Austin Texas) brought them back to my mind with his shroud replacement thread. http://www.airforums.com/forum...1542#post31542

I am hoping this thread will become a depository of any and all questions and anecdotes concerning Armstrongs.

Apparently they are mighty long-lived and thereby durable units.

*Is Armstrong still in business?

*Which components are not available or replaceable by substitution?

*john hd mentioned upgrading them (electronically I assume) Is that feasible? How?

*How can I determine how many BTUs one is?

*Is there a boneyard of the old ones anywhere that anyone know of?

I’ll need to look for it but I have a complete list of replacement parts that can match or substitute for originals. Also have seen arrivals about complete rebuilds bringing the old units up to new Freon. I want to get on the list for any info. Mine is in the process of repair. Fan is loose, is still charged with Freon, I have replacement capacitors just need to get them installed. I ALSO NEED ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET. in the last five years I’ve seen several used units for free or sale listed. I’ll find all my info and forward it to you. Maybe we can start a more active search. It sounds like it is well worth fixing the old units. The article that I saw basically built a unit from ground up and was less than $ 1,000. Keep posting.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
This is the shroud I bought for our 76 with the Armstrong ac:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to do a little modifying with a scroll saw, and had to carefully plan where to attach four hold-down screws, but it fits fine, travels well, and the price, with free shipping, was nice.
Any pics of this install by any chance?
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Armstrong A/C Shroud from scratch....DIY.

Here is my post on the shroud I am making for our Armstrong from scratch.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ch-211824.html

We didn't have anything up top on our AS except the A/C unit and pics from the internet to use for measurements and reference points. So far, I have only spent around $50 on the supplies.....and of course only my time counts.
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #99
airstream junkie

1971 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
1974 21' Globetrotter
Atlanta , GA
armstrong trh25-12 AC Heater on 77 Trade Wind

Hi

I've search the forum for info on this AC/ Heater and have seen a lot of post from 17 years ago so this is a request for current info regarding whether or not I should spend the time repairing/ replacing the compressor (which doesn't come on when I turn the thermostat down) AND since it's r22 freon? I hate to throw it out since the fan works great. I see the recent post about a new shroud for old units so I'm glad they're available.

Please advise and thanks in advance.
Lawrell
lawrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
An exasperating repair

One of the fun challenges to me with my Vintage Airstream is keeping the original Bay Breeze air conditioner in good working order and updating this thread to share the experience. We were at Disney last month and my Armstrong unit ran like a champ as it has for the past five years. After returning home though it was was obviously low on refrigerant during unload/cleanup. The refrigerant leak ended up being phenomenally hard for me to find. Once the leak was found I think even a pro would have had a hard time finding the hole (bottom of a Tee in confined space).

My Overlander is now ready to roll should The President call. Stay tuned if you still have a 1/2 century-old AC on your Airstream and desire insight - I hope to update my Airstream's web page with this experience (link in my signature).

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	422839   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	422840  

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote