Old 11-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I assume you meant " '69" instead of " '89". If so, the answer to Question 1 is "no" and Question 2 is "probably, but I don't know".

I have a minor issue with my '67 Armstrong unit where rain water, in spite of what obstensibly looks like a well sealed area, is running down the interior-side of the fan motor's shaft and leaking a few drops on the floor when it rains really long & hard. Your leak may be such that the rain water leaks solely into the condensate pan.

Out of curiosity, do you see this as a problem?

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #44

1975 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Armstrong ac

After looking over these posts looks like I may have been taken in...not sure.
My local dealer was all too ready to help me switch out my ac unit (armstrong) with a new penguin.

I did it so I could run my generator to power the AC. The generator would not run the older unit.

That said, I have an Armstrong unit fully functional sittin here.

Not sure what to do with it.

I'm in Texas and half way considered re installing it in my vent further back...
(2 acs on a 25' land yacht??) prolly nuts?

Either way, I need to do something with it.

Any ideas?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #45
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, bwilson,

Well, if it works fine, advertise it here in the classifieds. The Penquin is what Airstream is using now, and they made the pan for the Airstreams, right? You should be able to expect years of service from it.

That said, I've recently purchased a room air conditioner for a small office I'm building in our pole barn. It was fairly expensive, too. When I got it home, I looked in the top of the cabinet and was impressed at how few parts were in it. Not parts that I recognized - but STUFF I'd expect to be in there. There's a lot of unused cabinet space. It works fine, but I have the impression that I got less than I paid for when I think about it.

I'm currently replacing the furnace in my '79. I have the original one and the new one sitting on the floor in the galley. Guess what? It was expensive, and when I look at it, there's less STUFF in the cabinet than the 27-year-old furnace has.

One thing you do see in the old Armstrongs are a lot of components taking up space in there.

I theorize that they could have put the parts in the room airconditioner in a cabinet with HALF the volume. They made it bigger than it needed to be to meet my expectations of what an A/C of that price should look like.

I hope if you look inside the Penquin you find find some STUFF in there. I hope you didn't pay a lot for a mostly-empty shell.

Another thought: if you're handy, why not try to restore the Armstrong and THEN sell it?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #46
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I assume you meant " '69" instead of " '89". If so, the answer to Question 1 is "no" and Question 2 is "probably, but I don't know".

I have a minor issue with my '67 Armstrong unit where rain water, in spite of what obstensibly looks like a well sealed area, is running down the interior-side of the fan motor's shaft and leaking a few drops on the floor when it rains really long & hard. Your leak may be such that the rain water leaks solely into the condensate pan.

Out of curiosity, do you see this as a problem?

Tom
Hi there my typo it is a 69. My armstrong unit only leaked from two gaps between where the exterior portion of the a/c met the roof. But that water traveled along a wire bundle and came out inside the cabinet area some vulkum sealant cured that problem.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
In case anyone needs a replacement relay (potential relay) for their Armstrong AC (mine is from 1971) Grainger has 2 replacement relays. The original part # is 3ARR3 K3S2 and the Grainger replacement parts are 1WCC9 and 6X551. I ordered P/N 6X551 as it looks more like the relay in my AC. I replaced the start capacitor with a Supco SPP6E and it worked correctly and fit in the original box containing the relay and capacitor.
pickerdd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I haven't used my AC in 2 years... went camping last weekend and the thing practically shot ice cubes!!!My AC shroud vaporized last summer on a trip so the Armstrong has been commando on the roof since. I am planning to build a new one. Inland has them and I was going to order one but the cost to ship to Canada would almost justify a new AC unit. I thought being exposed to the elements would kill it. I guess I had better hurry and make a new shroud!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Euless , Texas
ok, you Armstrong guys. I took your advise and instead of replacing my working '78 Armstrong AC, I bought a new shroud on sale for $195=$190 shipping from Inland RV Carona, CA. I had to frabricate my own screen. Then I had the coils cleaned. The only problem I am experiencing is in the heat of the day (4-5pm Texas heat) the ac can't compete with the extreme Texas heat and on real hot days trips the breaker. Cools fine mornings and evenings. It may need a shot of freon. What kind of freon does it take? If R12, can it be converted to 134? I did not see a low side service port, did I miss it?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Mine takes R-22. I am 99.999% sure yours does too. You missed the low side port. Sometimes it get buried in the RV putty sealing the pipes' entry into the coach.

Your breaker might be going bad. I say that because I once had the same situation. My ammeter indicated the current draw was okay even though the breaker popped.

A new breaker solved my problem.

Tom
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Pinson , Alabama
Armstrong 14

I just purchased a '79 28' Airstream MH with 25,000 miles. Seriously considering replacing the Armstrong 14 (that's all I can tell u about model, etc). I will be adding some R-22 and hope it cools better than it does !
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #52

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Holiday , Florida
need armstrong Shroud and fan unit

I have a 1975 Argosy 26 foot motorhome. The roof a/c unit works for a short time and then the fan unit in it locks up causing the compressor to overheat and shutdown. Took the motor to Graingers but they did not have a motor with the same rpm nor a fan with the same number of blades to replace it with. Any and all advice is appreciated. I am an electrician but not an A/C repairman. Tried local A/C repairman but after two tries to repair the unit (and $140.00) it still didn't run right.Help!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Euless , Texas
I have a 78 31' AS w/ original Armstrong which did not cool well in heat of day (Texas). I read all input about how great the Armstrong is built,so I ordered a new ac shroud and had the coils cleamed, and condensate drain line blown out ($550). This did increase airflow, but did not do much to help cooling in the heat of the day. Then it started to really get hot in mid-july. Blew a run capacitor and I replied it $24 + $50 installation. A few days later a relay went out. Enough about how great the Armstrong is already. It now resides in the dumpster. I replaced it with a Coleman Mach 8 15,000 btu heat pump with a condensate pump. The condensate pump attaches to the internal AS condensate drain line. Any other Coleman including other Mach 8's w/o the condensate pump will drain onto roof and down outside walls leaving ugly stains on your precious AS. All of this cost me another @1,500. It is now 5pm and it is 100 degrees outside as I write. I am not cool, but it is not unbearably hot inside. The ac is doing all it is designed to do considering the heat, skimpy AS insulatioan and heat absorbing bright alum AS skin. For Canucks the original Armstrong may be serviceable, but not in Texas.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Amity , Arkansas
armstrong air conditioner

My blower motor on my 1967 airstream overlander started seizing (lack of oil on bearings). Finally found a company who sold me a replacement motor. It is different in ways and will have to adapt some to put in un, but I would rather go through that than change the unit. I wish someone would know the blower speed as the new one has different settings. It has been the best air conditioner I have seen in a camper. Had a new dometic installed on my houseboat and it is so loud you can hardly talk over it
Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
1075 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngould View Post
... I wish someone would know the blower speed as the new one has different settings. ...
1075 rpm.

A link to my restoration of the '67 Armstrong AC:

Bay Breeze Air Conditioner

Tom
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
Air Conditioner Surprise

I bought a 1971 Sovereign a few months ago...right in the middle of a hot Central Texas summer. My first purchase was a new 15,000BTU heat pump air conditioner. I had just assumed the 44 year-old Armstrong surely didn't work.

Well, last week I was working on gutting the bathroom and sweating like a fat pig. Just for grins, I turned on the AC. Holy crap!!! It works. I can't believe how well this vintage AC cools. I feel really stupid for not checking this out earlier, but, it surely was a pleasant surprise.