Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Armstrong Replacement on a 1978 Argosy 27'

I need your input on getting info on the replacement of an Armstrong 10 ('78) model with a Dual Therm (Dometic) 13.5 BTU with heat strip. I have the cowling off of the Armstrong and I discover that the Armstrong is not bolted down to the trailer but is riveted to the trailer in about 100 places!!.
I will need to drill out the rivets and then enlarge the opening and reinforce the area. Can anyone(s) who have done this before share with me the steps you did to make this work and not leak afterwards. Thanks jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I cut most of the rivets. I think there are about 30 on a side. I only drilled the ones where I couldn't have both hands free. I wrapped butyl on stainless steel pan head screws and then I sealed the screw tops with Vulkem 116. I built a wood frame in the opening. Pictures are on my blog here.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Consider a 15,000 BTU unit. I wish I did.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustice View Post
I need your input on getting info on the replacement of an Armstrong 10 ('78) model with a Dual Therm (Dometic) 13.5 BTU with heat strip. I have the cowling off of the Armstrong and I discover that the Armstrong is not bolted down to the trailer but is riveted to the trailer in about 100 places!!.
I will need to drill out the rivets and then enlarge the opening and reinforce the area. Can anyone(s) who have done this before share with me the steps you did to make this work and not leak afterwards. Thanks jjustice
JJ,

I wouldn't bother with the heat strip! You WILL be disappointed in the heating performance. They don't really do anything at 500 watts, and the force of the blower almost negates the heating effects. If you want a real heater, go for a 15K heat pump model or save the bucks and get the regular A/C and but a Pelonis disc furnace for heat when you are plugged in and the LP furnace for when you aren't.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The heat strip on my Carrier LP 13.5K unit is 1500 watts and does a good job keeping the trailer warm. I ran it with the outside temperature in the high 20s and it kept the trailer around 70 degrees.

I replaced the AC on my 75 last year and it was held on with around 50 screws. After removing all the screws and the AC, the holes were filled with Olympic Rivets and some Vulcum. You then need to install braces between the inner skin and the outer skin so that the new unit can clamp onto the shell. Forums member Zeppelinium made the braces which we installed.

Getting the old unit off was much harder then getting the new unit on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00407.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	115049  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Richard, the Dometic DuoTherm unit he was referring to uses a 500 watt heat strip, as most Dometics do. I have them in my bus and they are almost innefective.

Carriers are getting harder to find now, especially the low profile models. My suppliers are totally sold out at this point.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
500 watts does not sound like it would do much. I am glad I got the Carrier when I did.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote