Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Question Armstrong Air Conditioner Leak

Greetings
Here is the next step in refurbishing my 73 Argosy

as i was sitting on a camp spot last weekend i noticed that the air conditioning drain is leaking inside the walls...... better said i found water coming out of the belly pan at the seam between the banana wrap and the belly about a foot behind the drain

No rain for the last two days......

So i pulled a bit on the drain hose from the A/C and sure the hose was wet from the outside
there might be a few pinholes in the drain somewhere in the wall.

so, my idea is, to replace the hose by detaching it from the A/C attaching a new hose to the old one and pull it through.

Is there a better way???

Has that been attempted before?????Or am i setting myself up for failure

I would like to keep the water out of the belly since i just welded a new cross member in the back.

My air conditioner is a Armstrong TR21-10 and blowing ice cold air

I just took the covers off cleaned it out and it is looking good for its age

Thanks for any suggestions

Michael
michael13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael13 View Post
Greetings
Here is the next step in refurbishing my 73 Argosy

as i was sitting on a camp spot last weekend i noticed that the air conditioning drain is leaking inside the walls...... better said i found water coming out of the belly pan at the seam between the banana wrap and the belly about a foot behind the drain

No rain for the last two days......

So i pulled a bit on the drain hose from the A/C and sure the hose was wet from the outside
there might be a few pinholes in the drain somewhere in the wall.

so, my idea is, to replace the hose by detaching it from the A/C attaching a new hose to the old one and pull it through.

Is there a better way???

Has that been attempted before?????Or am i setting myself up for failure

I would like to keep the water out of the belly since i just welded a new cross member in the back.

My air conditioner is a Armstrong TR21-10 and blowing ice cold air

I just took the covers off cleaned it out and it is looking good for its age

Thanks for any suggestions

Michael
The AC drain hose "cannot" be replaced without removing the interior walls.

The tubing makes bends within the wall.

Trying to pull a new hose is impossible.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Where did you pull a bit of the hose to see it wet? From the top or bottom where it comes out the belly? I had a similar problem on a coleman that had problems at the top and bottom.
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Where did you pull a bit of the hose to see it wet? From the top or bottom where it comes out the belly? I had a similar problem on a coleman that had problems at the top and bottom.

the problem is on the bottom, this is where i pulled the hose out about 2 inches and saw that the hose is wet on the outside

after looking a bit further i saw that about 12 inches behind the A/C drain hose-towards the back of the trailer- at the seam to the curved back end -water coming out.......
my assumption is that the water ran inside the belly to this seam and out

How did you fix your problem????
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Michael,
My drain hose did not quite clear the opening out of the belly and while some water dripped to the ground, some also hit the side of the hole and ran inside the belly and out a seam. I stuck a brass nipple in the hose and clamped it so the nipple completely cleared the belly and no problem since. Does your hose completely clear the belly now.
Joe
Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Michael,
My drain hose did not quite clear the opening out of the belly and while some water dripped to the ground, some also hit the side of the hole and ran inside the belly and out a seam. I stuck a brass nipple in the hose and clamped it so the nipple completely cleared the belly and no problem since. Does your hose completely clear the belly now.
Joe

yep the hose is clearing the belly completely by about 3 inches, so this is not it

thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Bummer, that would have been easy. Can you attach some other hose out of the drain at the top to see if it stops leaking? Drain it into a bucket if you need to. If it doesn't then you'll know the problem is in the wall.
I feel your pain, I had three different leaks at the same time.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
it is fixed

so, it has been a while since i payed attention by the leaking air conditioner hose...... got distracted by a leaking water heater, which is replaced now.

i decided to partially open the wall on the left of the bedroom window and found the drain hose right where it leaked into the inside.

i really was not in the mood to dismantle all the cabinets etc. to take all of the aluminum panels to locate the rest of the tube.

so up on the roof, opening up the AC, with the use of Duck tape attached the new tube to the old one and pulled the new hose right to the opening in the window and from there it was just a pull from the belly and out it came.
It took about an hour

It looks like that the PO has drilled a few holes in it, probably replacing rivets........

onward to next adventures

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0266.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	83873   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0267.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	652.4 KB
ID:	83874