Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
BW

1973 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to BWMorgan225
Armstrong AC TR21-12

I have a 73 AC 31' with an Armstrong AC TR21-12.
Questions:

Is anyone familiar with this unit?
Anyone serviced this unit or have you replaced the unit?
Is it worth keeping and servicing?
Any feedback or experience with this unit?

Thank you
Burney
BWMorgan225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I'm in your boat with an Armstrong that needs repaired. Have you found anybody to fix one?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The consensus is that it's worth keeping. Mine has a refrigerant leak that I hope to be in the Schraeder valve. We'll see. At any rate, I hope to be able to fix it.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't have one but I think they're worth keeping for a variety of reasons, among them the cost and complexity of conversion to a newer A/C.

Commercial refrigeration contractors may be best able to repair your unit, though some appliance repair technicians may as well. RV places generally do not have the expertise though there are no doubt exceptions. It may take some calling around and cajoling to find a tech who has the skills and equipment, and the willingness to get up on the roof.

Newer A/C use a 14" square hole in the roof and blow air through the 14" square hole, Armstrong used two smaller holes and ran refrigerant lines through one and a shaft for the fan through the other, placing the evaporator inside the trailer. In general the Armstrong is a solid unit and repair parts including fan motors, compressors, and controls are still available.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Newer A/C use a 14" square hole in the roof and blow air through the 14" square hole, Armstrong used two smaller holes and ran refrigerant lines through one and a shaft for the fan through the other, placing the evaporator inside the trailer. In general the Armstrong is a solid unit and repair parts including fan motors, compressors, and controls are still available.
I think this is true for the late 60's units but I'm pretty sure my '71 has a 14" square.

My Armstrong is coming out and I'm putting in a new Atwood.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Why Atwood vs. another brand? Quality,cost...?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Because it supposed to be able to run on one 2000 watt generator
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Good feature!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Did you ever get a resolution for your A/C issue? I have the same one, but when we remodeled last year, the (person who gutted her for us made a bad) assumption was that the thermostat only controlled the heater. Now I have no way to see if the A/C works. The manual that we found in storage much later says that the thermostat worked both the heater (no longer installed) and the A/C (which appears to be in good shape). Now I am faced with finding the wiring for it and installing a thermostat in the hopes that it works, or to replace it.

Any information is appreciated!

- Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWMorgan225 View Post
I have a 73 AC 31' with an Armstrong AC TR21-12.
Questions:

Is anyone familiar with this unit?
Anyone serviced this unit or have you replaced the unit?
Is it worth keeping and servicing?
Any feedback or experience with this unit?

Thank you
Burney
SilverSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The original unit was available with or without an electric resistance heat strip, which would maybe keep you warm in the mid to low 50s outside, depending.

That's why the manual says it also (can) control heat.

Whether you have the electric heat or not, you should also have a propane furnace that runs on a separate thermostat. The furnace will keep you warm down to the temp where you really should pack up and go home.