Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Question Armstrong AC air filter

Is there a source for the air filter for a 79 vintage Armstrong Bay Breeze (err...bay hurricane) air conditioner? When I inspected the filter, the grid was fine, but the open cell foam filter has turned to powder with age. Can this be easily replaced with something from a home center? It looks like Armstrong got out of the RV AC bidness quite a few years ago.
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Is there a source for the air filter for a 79 vintage Armstrong Bay Breeze (err...bay hurricane) air conditioner?
I have replaced mine by carefully shredding all the foam out. This will leave you with nubs that have little melted tips. These tips need to be left with their melted tops. I buy the filter mesh for a window AC unit at the home centers, the stuff I got was a white fibrous sheet made of polyester (kinda fitting, huh?). I cut into the proper size strip and then gently push the nubs through the fiber until you have a clean top on the inside of the mesh. This will hold the fiber in place. There are 10-12 nubs. When it gets dirty you can tell by sight and the mesh can be either washed or pitched and new sections cut and fit. I think the whole package cost 4-5 bucks at home depot.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote