Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Armstrong A/C Removal

I have a 1966 Safari with the original Armstrong A/C on the roof. I have decided to remove it (it works) and either replace it with a heat pump or just use nothing. Any recommendations with the removal so it can be used by someone else if needed. I was thinking to crimp the copper tubing in two places then cutting in between, keeping in the freon and oil. Thoughts? Other ideas? Thanks in advance.

NUTZ

Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumanutz View Post
I have a 1966 Safari with the original Armstrong A/C on the roof. I have decided to remove it (it works) and either replace it with a heat pump or just use nothing. Any recommendations with the removal so it can be used by someone else if needed. I was thinking to crimp the copper tubing in two places then cutting in between, keeping in the freon and oil. Thoughts? Other ideas? Thanks in advance.

NUTZ

The unit will come off the top in one piece. No need to cut any coolant lines. I removed ours and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan. We haven't missed the old A/C at all.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband View Post
The unit will come off the top in one piece. No need to cut any coolant lines. I removed ours and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan. We haven't missed the old A/C at all.

I ducked as it came overboard - it weighed a lot ....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
original AC

The original AC's in the 66 models was an Armstrong TAC=110 model.

It indeed is in 2 pieces. Actually 3 if you count the exterior shroud.

Both refrigerant lines are joined with brass fittings.

You can easily access them from the roof side. They may be covered with a huge gob of "putty tape."

You can blow the freon, or try to pump it out.

If you decide to blow the freon, were heavy gloves and gogles. Freon can instantly burn your skin as well as ruin your eyes, if directly hit with it.

But you can also crack a fitting barely open and give the system a couple of hours to bleed off.

Crimping the copper lines will not save any freon.

Please be advised that the original AC's were designed to become an integral part of the shell.

When you wish to replace it with a new AC, you "MUST" add some beef-up stringers in the ceiling.

If not, the new AC will cave in the roof.

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Drawings for additional stringers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Please be advised that the original AC's were designed to become an integral part of the shell.

When you wish to replace it with a new AC, you "MUST" add some beef-up stringers in the ceiling.

If not, the new AC will cave in the roof.

Andy
We're also removing the Armstrong air conditioner from our Safari. Are any drawings available for the location of the additional stringers? Definitely don't need any cave-in.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We're also removing the Armstrong air conditioner from our Safari. Are any drawings available for the location of the additional stringers? Definitely don't need any cave-in.
Drawings for that project are not available.

Two stringers must be connected to the fore and aft main bows, that are 14 inches apart.

Then add two curved stringers that are between the other two stringers that you added, so that you have a 14" X 14" square hole.

Using aluminum channel riveted and sealed in place, works great for any AC you may chose.

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Two stringers must be connected to the fore and aft main bows, that are 14 inches apart.

Then add two curved stringers that are between the other two stringers that you added, so that you have a 14" X 14" square hole.

Using aluminum channel riveted and sealed in place, works great for any AC you may chose.

Andy
First Andy are you speaking here only of just the mid-60's era trailers with the TAC-110 Armstrong A/C?
Or are you speaking of any vintage that did not come stock with A/C?
I am thinking that all of my trailers 75 and previous 73, and 74 which all had Armstrong A/C were already beef-boxed out like you mention.

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
First Andy are you speaking here only of just the mid-60's era trailers with the TAC-110 Armstrong A/C?
Or are you speaking of any vintage that did not come stock with A/C?
I am thinking that all of my trailers 75 and previous 73, and 74 which all had Armstrong A/C were already beef-boxed out like you mention.

thanks
It's best to check and make sure that the stringers are there, regardless of year.

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Andy, next year or so we plan to replace the Armstrong in our 67 (depending on how soon our vacation plans will include areas of the country where an AC would be nice to have!). I didn't know about needing to beef up the stringers, so that's a bit of a concern.

Would you consider putting together either a schematic to prepare beefed up stringers, or perhaps even a kit of DIY materials for the job?

Lynn
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Andy, next year or so we plan to replace the Armstrong in our 67 (depending on how soon our vacation plans will include areas of the country where an AC would be nice to have!). I didn't know about needing to beef up the stringers, so that's a bit of a concern.

Would you consider putting together either a schematic to prepare beefed up stringers, or perhaps even a kit of DIY materials for the job?

Lynn
Lynn.

There have been posts in the past regarding "how."

A kit would not be feasible, since the dimensions vary all over the place.

Some have used wood (NOT RECOMMENDED.)

Aluminum only should be used.

Andy