Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

deep river , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Don't need one.

But, if you wish, you can install a line-a-tap in the high pressure side, which is the smaller diameter tubing.

Unless the AC has tons of miles, the compressor will increase the low pressure by a factor of 4.

Therefore if the low side says 75 psi, then the high side will say 300 psi.

Most AC units are filled from the low side, using the ambient exterior temperature as a guide, which will tell the AC guy, what pressure to use on the low side.

Make sure he understands that your AC uses R-22 freon.

Andy

The low side should be at 150 psi not 75 and the high side at 300 psi but in order to charge you need both high and low

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbin View Post
The low side should be at 150 psi not 75 and the high side at 300 psi but in order to charge you need both high and low
If you put 150 psi on the low side, please have an ambulance standing by.

That pressure will BLOW UP your AC.

150 psi on the low side would give you 600 psi on the high side. That's unheard of in any system that uses R-22.

Andy

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxom View Post
I actually didn't plug into anything but a proper 30 amp supply, but I am sure it was used on an improper supply in the past. I know because when I found the electric cable in the rear bumper it was still connected to a 20 amp cord with an adapter, and the ends of the small cord and the adapter were badly burned from over heating. So, you are correct that this unit has been abused in that way.

Since it did come on and start to cool, and then quit, should we assume it is ruined?

By the way Andy, thanks for your help. I am a park manager in my day job, and we find those small cords and adapters to be the most common misunderstood trouble makers in our campgrounds. They not only kill AC units, but they also burn up campground electrical systems, increase electric costs and cause a lot of outages for the culprits' neighboring campers. You'd be surprised how many otherwise intelligent people will cobble up a Y device to plug a 50 AMP RV into both the 30 and the 20 AMP receptacles, thinking that gives them 50 AMPS. We also see a lot of 14 guage, 100 foot long cheap cords being plugged into the supply and then an adapter out at the end to plug in the 30 or even 50 AMP camper cord. Those folks always call complaigning about power problems. Go Figure.
It's your fault, not mine!!!

What do you mean, my extension cord is too light????

My extension cord is "heavy duty".

Yah, right.

Most people don't understand that heavy duty means that you can run over it, and not ruin it.

It has nothing to do with it's current carrying capacity.

Now down to the real business. They above was to generate a laugh or two, that we hear from owners all the time.

If your connectors show signs of heat, I would suggest that you replace them.

A short cycling AC also can be caused by a low charge of frean.

If the short cycling continues after you replace the connectors, then a low freon level is a next probable cause.

The last cause, would be a bad compressor. If that is bad, then replacing the AC is your best option.

Andy