Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Venetia , Pennsylvania
Armstrong 10 AC Unit

Afternoon All!

This is the second time that I have come to this site with the hopes of finding a source for parts for my trailer. Currently, this trailer has an Armstrong 10 AC unit (factory standard?) that doesnt want to work correctly. It does have a working capacitor and motor, both have been tested, and I believe the issue has been narrowed down to the power relay as it reads as an open circuit when hooked up to a multimeter. I have been to a few places around here looking for a replacement to no avail. Anyone know where I can find one? It'd be great to be able to have this in time for my trip to Virginia next weekend.

The AC works fine when you turn it on and give the fan a quick spin, but it won't start spinning by itself.
BadKarma226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
?????

Are you saying that the coil of the power relay is reading open?

Is it just the fan that does not start and run?

Do you have access to a drawing for the control circuit?

Do you know what kind of current the fan motor draws?

Does the fan motor have a centrifugal switch?

I have a '74 Argosy which probably has the same AC unit as your trailer. There are 4 push buttons on the control panel. "OFF" "FAN" "LOW COOL" "HIGH COOL". Does this sound the same as yours?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Probably nothing wrong with the relay. I would guess you need a new fan motor. The bearings go bad over time. There are places that have them although it may take some digging, search for armstrong here on the forums and you'll turn up many threads including some with part numbers.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Armstrong rebuild thread

I'm not sure this is the same AC unit that you have, but it's a detailed thread on rebuilding the unit and he's happy with the results in operation.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...dor-76432.html

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Venetia , Pennsylvania
@TG Twinkie: It has a 4 position rotary switch with Hi/Low Cool/Fan. When turned to fan, it simply hums; If you manually spin the fan it takes off on its own. With the fan running you can switch to Cool and seems to work. The start condenser is good, the relay looks good but shows no resistance at the coil. Nothing looks or smells burned which makes me wonder if it really is bad. Could it be the start windings in the motor? How could I check those?

@Jammer: I don't think its the bearings, the fan spins with no trouble.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is the relay 120 VAC or 24 VAC? In either case it will be difficult to measure the coil with a VOM to determine if it is good.
Do you have the unit out and on the bench?
Can you determine if there is voltage to the coil of the relay? The reason I ask is that if the fan motor runs when you spin it. I think the power relay is picking up. In most cases there is a "normally closed" contact that switches out the start capacitor within a few milliseconds and a "normally open" contact that powers the motor.
Were you able to locate a drawing of the control circuit? It may be located under the inside cover. If you could get a shot of it with your camera and post it. It will help.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Venetia , Pennsylvania
It is a 120 VAC unit, will get back to you on whether or not there is voltage is getting to the coil and about the wiring diagram. Need to get a dry day before anything else can be done.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

1969 31' Sovereign
Dawsonville , Georgia
Did you ever find a fix for your fan motor? Mine does the exact same thing. Just looking for a few pointers! Thanks

David
blazeff13 is offline   Reply With Quote