Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Argosy without A/C - options?

I am looking at an Argosy that does not have an A/C installed. While not in the Southwest, the Argosy is still in a region that really makes me wonder what the PO did without one. However, I see quite a few on this forum that don't have them either. So question #1 - this summer aside as an anomoly, how do folks without A/C stay cool (especially Argosy owners)?

I've poked around the forum on options (portable, split systems, roof top) but would like some opinions on what you would do if you were installing an AC new to your AS/Argosy and weren't constrained by strictly a roof top installation?
my3sonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I would get a "thru the wall"....not to be confused with a window or wall air conditioner... thru the wall types use a sleeve and air in and exhaust both go thru a single louvered door or panel. You can mount this in an existing compartment, appropriate size and location for the air to the inside. Mount it on a slight incline so the drip pan takes the condensate where you want it.....you don't want a puddle on the awning side. With this sleeved type you don't have to build a plenum for air management. I think you could even mount the ac on a heavy duty slide which would extend completely when used....I don't care for this one...but it works.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy without A/C - options?

Greetings my3sonsdad!

Adding a regular RV air conditioner to an Argosy is not difficult, and unlike the Minuets, your standard model Argosy came from the factory pre-wired for air conditioning with a condesate drain tube installed in the wall just like Airstreams of similar vintage. My Minuet never had air conditioning as the original owner was very frugal with his recreational dollors, but he did spring for the option of Air Conditioning Prep package when he ordered the Minuet.

Check with the Airstream factory or with an Airstream dealer/Factory Authorized Sevice center to obtain directions for placement of the air conditioner roof opening. Argosy, like Airstream, does not utilize an existing vent opening for the air conditioner unit -- the opening must be cut at point measured from the front number one bow, and you will find the power cable coiled in close porximity as well as the end of the condesate drain tube.

I have never regretted installing the RV air conditioner on my Minuet as it has made the coach so much more useful.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
So question #1 - this summer aside as an anomoly, how do folks without A/C stay cool (especially Argosy owners)?
The main thing to understand is that the A/C never really works all that well, certainly not like a good A/C installation in a stick house where it pretty much stays dry and 74 degrees all day, even if you cook or if people are going in and out.

The most tangible benefit to the A/C is that it works reasonably well at night so people can sleep.

Otherwise, I find that I want to stay outside the trailer, and especially want to do any cooking that's necessary outside the trailer. Opening all the windows and running the fantastic fan goes a long way towards keeping it tolerable in the heat.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
After exploring all the options ..and doing my own research on this great forum I decided on an RV roof air. I was intrigued by the idea of building my own "central" air as a couple on this forum have done. I couldnt find the floor space to do that w/o remodeling my floor plan. Since I live in RV country I searched the RV salvage stores til I found a Dometic 15k That had been mounted on a Jayco trailer then ran into the overhead door. It had some minor damage to the inside sheet metal and required a new cover which the seller threw in on the deal for $250.00. Another store supplied the needed inside air distribution box and Inland RV is supplying the condensate drip adapter to hook it up to the airstream.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote