Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Are all A/C units Rooftop units?

title says it all. are there any in-coach , heat pump type units made? Along the lines of ducted furnaces?

I hate the thought of ruining the lines of the rooftop on the vintage trailers..
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not sure about heat pumps, but you will see regular home type window units in vintage trailers. Mine at one time had a window unit installed in the back window. It was removed by the PO and replaced with a top mounted Coleman unit. Darn thing is noisy as all get out and leaks to the inside in high humidity.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
I totally agree: we're having our '62 Tradewind worked on, and I couldn't bring myself to mess with its lines with a rooftop unit.

We've just bit the bullet and gone with an alternative that has been mentioned on the forums occasionally before. Dometic makes A/C units that are intended to cool truck sleeping compartments. They mount under the sleeping bunk and are intended for trucks with auxiliary power units or big battery banks. The idea is to let truckers avoid running their diesels all night.

They make self-contained units as well as units with separate evaporators and condensers. We went for a self-contained one, which is designed to vent downward out of the bottom of the cab (...or trailer). Various posters have suggested that one could use a split unit and mount the external portion on the tongue. This would be quieter inside but arguably less attractive.

The only downside that I can see is cost--they're really, annoyingly expensive. Your mileage may vary on whether this is worth it.

They do not function as heat pumps, but they do have plain-jane electric heat strips built in.

Information on the units is on Dometic's website here:

Dometic Truck Products

We have a "bunkhouse" unit with 4 twin beds in the mid cabin. Our plan is to place it under the streetside bunk, with ducting exiting laterally between the bunks and also forward, under the kitchen sink and into the living area.

I'll let you know how this works out once it's finished. Good luck!
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
the reason i ask is b/c i built in an window type a/c unit into a cabinet in my 62 GT. i installed it so the back is vented out of a side compartment door. It sits on top of metal drip pan that routes condensation to the outside of the trailer. it works well, and is less ghetto than putting it in the window. I was hoping to do something more elegant in the 57 overlander, as i will NOT be mounting a a/c on the roof. I'll take the same approach if i have to, but i thought i recall seeing a European unit that was built into the bench... I am sure i saw it on the forums but searches revealed nothing.

Edit: YES! thats it! didnt your post til i posted. that must be it...
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Toastie, from the forum here, made this ingenius use of a casement window a/c in his small trailer. I copied his method for install in my Bambi II. It works fantastic! Here is the link of how he did it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-38289-38.html

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We have a forum member who did a similar, ingenious installation on the total renovation of his vintage. The results were elegant. all openings were through the floor. Skin was untouched. He rarely checks in, but I will try to PM him for description and pictures. Don't do anything rash until we hear from him. Give me 48 hours.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote