Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Appliance paint?

Is there a paint or product that can stand up to the heat, that I can use to change the color of my cooktop? My new fridge is black and I wanted to match the cooktop.

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are some good high temp paints out there. Try your auto parts store. They use high temp paints for exhaust headers, etc.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I would take it and have it powder coated... should turn out very nice! Look up powder coating in the phone book.

You can also look at the automotive store like Fyrzowt mentions and ask about paint for exhaust manifolds.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I doubt exhaust manifold paint will work. Been there, tried that, had to start over. Last summer I wanted to repaint the two black outer edges of the stove. First I tried High Gloss Black automotive high temp paint (i.e. for exhaust manifolds). It was high gloss only in name (or perhaps in comparison to a rusty manifold). It came out so flat I couldn't believe it. Had to strip it and start over.

Next time I was smarter and painted test spots before painting the real thing. I tested several Rustoleum products before selecting one: Standard Rustoleum, High Performance Rustoleum, Appliance Enamel Rustoleum, and maybe even a High Temp Rustoleum. Interestingly they all had the temp temperature exposure limits, about 200F, if I remember correctly. In the end I ended up going with the High Performance Rustoleum product, because it had the best gloss level. The Rustoleum Appliance Enamel may have also ended up working, but it appeared it was going to take more coats to get a good gloss level, I stopped after 3 or 4 test coats.

So far so good for me with the HP Rustoleum, but then the stove edges aren't exposed to the same heat levels are the cook top itself. In our case when a burner is running the stove edges don't even get warm to the touch. Becuase the cook top is much closer to the flame than the stove edges I cannot advise if a Rustoleum product might work in your case or not. You'd have to check with the manufacturer, or maybe find a way to confirm that the temperature is within the approved limits.

In the end, while not a do it yourself project, I think that Power Coating might be the best option.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote