Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Take a look at Dometic all in ones.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
8000 btu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
How many BTU was your old Honeywell unit? The one you said wasn't big enough.
It is the biggest unit I could fit in the closet. Nowhere near adequate, and the vent hose throws off lots of heat, even after adding insulation.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have a split system in a church office. It has been great! The lines are flexible enough that you should not have much of an issue.

When installing my AC DEAUX(#2), rather than pull down inner skins, I did a ceiling penetration, ran power and condensate lines along inside of ceiling, concealing with an expanding "loom", not the plastic looking one, a nice black weave. My wife was going to make a fabric cover for it, but it turned out so nice, we left it plain.

I "penetrated" the shell at the floor, coming out in the water access box! The condensate tube lines up with the opening for the fresh water hose entry!!!! Slick.

For your front mount, I would come from underneath, like the turn signal umbilical enters the newer models. This would keep it water safe and allow you to run your connections up inside the trailer. You can easily camouflage them with thin wood or aluminum....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
With help from a friend, I got the refrigerant lines vacuumed and leak free, then released the refrigerant to charge the system. Ran it for 30 minute test on both heat and cool modes. The outside unit is very quiet and the inside unit is barely audible. Max current draw is 6 amps due to "inverter" style compressor. Real world testing still required to see how it handles vibration while towing and whether it can handle the Texas heat but so far I am very impressed with this $700 unit.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have a mini split in my garage. It does noticeably well in the heat considering the garage is uninsulated.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Just returned from vacation in Aruba. Virtually every building on the island has units like this. Probably saw over 1000 split systems compared with about 6 conventional window units and perhaps 10 full-fledged forced air central A/C units.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I applaud your efforts. Along with the Texas heat and your desire to park your vintage Airstream in the garage this is your only option. Great job. Motivation and persistance is the key to your success.

My window AC unit in our 66 Tradewind works fine for us and was really pretty simple.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Initial use report:
Just returned from a 10 day trip to ABQ Balloon Festival and Grand Canyon NP. Ran A/C lightly during the day and heat pump all night. Almost whisper quiet. Performed beautifully. Coldest night was 38F and trailer was a toasty 72 inside.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
So far no issues with vibration. I had a cover made for the outdoor unit to protect it while towing. Kill-A-Watt shows max draw of 8 amps. Pretty sure that means I can run the entire trailer on a single Honda 2000 gennie since the fridge and water heater can both run on LP. 12,000 BTU seems like plenty for this trailer. I am completing my birch paneling of the interior which should improve insulation somewhat. Highly recommend this unit if you are willing to do the work to install it.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I recently came across doing this on a Boler and looked more and found this thread. been thinking about doing this instead of the rooftop AC for the same reasons you had. Great work. How has it held up so far? Was there a reason you didn't install it on the back bumper (if you have one)? Was it the length of tubing that came with the unit? Oh, and how did you wire it up electrically? Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
I recently came across doing this on a Boler and looked more and found this thread. been thinking about doing this instead of the rooftop AC for the same reasons you had. Great work. How has it held up so far? Was there a reason you didn't install it on the back bumper (if you have one)? Was it the length of tubing that came with the unit? Oh, and how did you wire it up electrically? Thanks
1. Held up great for two years. Recently sold the trailer and new owners love it. Just got another unit for my next trailer.
2. Weight in the rear is generally a no-no, rear bumper too small anyway, and wanted to mount indoor unit in the front.
3. Line set length can be specified when you order. I got the minimum (10 feet) and cut it to length.
4. Although they recommend hard wiring, I spliced a plug on the end since:
a) I had a convenient outlet close by, and
b) It gives me the option to plug it into a separate power source.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I've seen BambiTex's unit in operation and it's very quiet and cool (pun) indeed!
The only question I failed to ask is: Since it is mounted fore/aft, it appears to obstruct a tight left-hand turn (reduced clearance between AC unit and TV rear bumper)... especially vulnerable when backing-up. Why did you choose that orientation over a lateral one? Would your single LP tank not fit in front of a lateral install?
George
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
BambiTex

Very nice work on your first install. So, what changes will you make for your second installation?

Thanks, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Great too hear, thanks for the response. I like the idea of a split system. May look into extending the tongue about 12" so I can keep the propane tanks. It's waiting to be sandblasted right now. Hmm, decisions.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Answers

1. Yes, orientation does affect tight left hand turns. I have a dent in my bumper cover to prove it. Switching to a longer ball mount solved the problem.
2. There was not sufficient room for the compressor, LP tank and tongue jack if oriented transversely.
3. Tongue on my Overlander is slightly longer, and I added an electric tongue jack which increases clearance as well. New install will be traverse. I plan to move the LP bottles back against the trailer body and mount the compressor in front. It is a shame, since the shiny LP bottles will be blocked but airflow would be compromised otherwise.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
New install in progress

Built a platform and moved the LP bottles as close as I dared to the trailer body, bolted aluminum angles to tongue. Compressor will bolt to angles through rubber vibration mounts. Pretty tight fit and not ideal in terms of airflow but the tradeoff is a nice compact footprint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor mountR.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	282742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor side viewR.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	282743  

Name:	AC front viewR.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	282744  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
You're gonna hate me for saying this.... but I mean it in the best way.... I'd have mounted the AC unit close to the trailer and considered going to one LP bottle. The warm air from the AC would facilitate vaporization of LP, and the round bottle would be very little obstruction to the air flow, and the AC unit would be better protected from road debris. The turning radius would also be improved, and the pretty aluminum bottle would be better admired.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Smokeless Joe visited with us in Georgia on his around the US tour. He had an incredible and enviable rig. The ductless air unit was beautifully done and worked great.
He also had diesel powered hot water and stove as I recall. Sold the whole rig to a couple off the forum.

I use the method I got from a guy here, mounting a window unit in the front of my trailer with a small wooden folding leg table support on the window frame and the propane bottles. Smaller ac unit works quite well up into the low 90s but can't beat back the heat and the Sun when its any hotter.
Thank fully we mostly used it at night where it did the job.
Issue with is is the placement,as the cold air made the gaucho not the best place to sit. Have to say I paid $35 used for it several years ago and it has been pretty good to this point. But I am open to a better idea.

Just found a photo of Joe and his rig:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Smokeless Joe.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	282751  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Not workable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
You're gonna hate me for saying this.... but I mean it in the best way.... I'd have mounted the AC unit close to the trailer and considered going to one LP bottle. The warm air from the AC would facilitate vaporization of LP, and the round bottle would be very little obstruction to the air flow, and the AC unit would be better protected from road debris. The turning radius would also be improved, and the pretty aluminum bottle would be better admired.
That would have put the intake side of the unit right up against the trailer body. They say you need at least 12 inches clearance, which I have (though the LP bottles are a partial obstruction). Believe me, I considered all possible placement options before settling on this one.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Many options

I used a 6000 BTU window unit in my first AS (17 ft Bambi II) mounted in the rear window on a cantilevered "table" platform and it worked great. For a 26 footer I need more BTU's and window units that size are too big and heavy to install/remove while travelling. Putting one in the front window is not ideal from an airflow and aesthetics standpoint IMO but to each his (or her) own....