Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Alternative A/C for Airstream

Has anyone ever tried usine a portable air conditioner in an Airstream? Such as this one:

I don't necessarily endorse the particular unit, just using it as an example.

From what I get from the specs, this is a 9000 BTU unit that draws only 800 watts of electricity meaning it could conceivably be easily run by a Honda 2000 generator.

I have purchased a similar unit, only 12,000 BTU's for my garage and it works fine. It's much quieter than the A/C in the Airstream, condenstation is not a problem because it is used to cool the coils with the exhausted air. Running it is about as noisy as a home refrigerator with a little fan noise added.

Exhaust could be thru a roof vent! The only problem I could see is it has to pull in a lot of air to make up for air exhausted so it is constantly bringing in outside air with it's humidity, etc. It is a very interesting idea.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow

I bought a smaller unit than the one pictured, but it only did an OK job. Got in the way and at the end of the day was more work.

There are several threads and a couple pictures from InsideOut on this topic.

56' Caravanner 'The Broomstick'

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by muddy hollow
There are several threads and a couple pictures from InsideOut on this topic.
Here's a link:

Non-Traditional A/C

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1973 24' Argosy 24
Del City , Oklahoma
I have a older continental portable air conditioner and hooked it up last night. The inside temperature went from 92 to about 97 in about 30 minutes .It seemed that the longer the unit ran the hotter that my 24 foot Argosy trailer became. Unit was vented through the rear roof vent . The temperatures for this upcoming weekend is predicted to be low 100s. I will call out the repair man to look at my coleman rooftop unit.
biglarry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master
We used a free standing A/C unit at last years International vented thru the rear rootop vent in our '67 Globe Trotter. Not this year! The exhaust tube DID create a lot of heat. What cooling/drying we had was appreciated. This year we are sporting a new 15,000 btu Carrier low profile rooftop unit in preparation for hot weather in the Willamette Valley/Salem, Oregon's International. With all the air incursion in GT, the Carrier will to a nice job. Right now, with 96 drgrees in Denver, the unit is keeping GT at 78-80.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote