Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
nickclifford's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Images: 1
Alde European central heating system ?

I see that Euro spec caravans have central heating systems like all homes do in Europe, wondering if it's possible to install these systems in US Airstreams? I'm sure anything is possible but has anyone actually done this ?!
http://www.alde.co.uk/
__________________

__________________
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
nickclifford's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Images: 1
Do we know why AS won't use in US trailers ?
__________________

__________________
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,948
Possibly because they use half a pound of propane per hour to keep the glycol solution hot.

Possibly because installing the system would require a lot more plumbing. Which means a lot more labor cost to assemble.

Possibly because you can get Attwood or Suburban furnaces serviced anywhere, but not many RV service centers in the US work on Alde systems.

Possibly because there isn't enough of a market for radiant heat systems because no one else asks for them.

Shall I go on?
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 471
Hey guys, the new Classic (starting with 2017) are using Alde as their heating system and to heat water. There are several hundred posts about the Alde system on this forum. Much Ado Alde thread. When properly set up it is an awesome system.
__________________
Lauri
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Cruiser6483's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 79
Images: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Alde

Yes, the ALDE system is almost standard in the cold north of Europe. I installed it myself in my cruiser in 1954. Greetings from Switzerland - Werner

__________________
Cruiser6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Classy Roscoe
 
Jekerrville's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 138
Once we started to talk Texan to our sweet Alde, she started to work fantastic. Low fuel consumption, and very low load on Honda Gen Set when out in the sticks. Placed a small Vornado cloth fin fan in one end of Classic 30' and had to reduce cabin temp several degrees at 8,700 feet. (30's outside)

Oh, and very quiet. No 110 Db ram jet engine noise like from the Dometic.

It just took some adjustments to get Alde happy. Download the installers guide and tech manual from Alde US. Unfortunately, AS dealers still behind the learning curve.
__________________
I have gone to find myself......
If I get back before I return, please
keep me here.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,906
Hi

I'm quite happy with the Alde setup on my AS. It's quiet and with radiators all through the trailer heats things very uniformly. Heat output is higher on propane than on shore power. For "cold" being 50F, shore power is fine. Even on propane it doesn't do much "damage" to a 40 lb tank overnight at 50 or so. Same thing is true idling for a day just keeping the water in the tank hot. I have yet to even wonder about how to refill my first propane tank

All that said, yes, they do use a lot of propane running full blast. If it's 20F outside, anything that fully heats an AS is going to use a *lot* of energy. About a pound an hour is not out of the question .... (that's max burner full time on the "stock" model). It's delivering 18,500 BTU at that point.

Bob
__________________
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Possibly because they use half a pound of propane per hour to keep the glycol solution hot.

Possibly because installing the system would require a lot more plumbing. Which means a lot more labor cost to assemble.

Possibly because you can get Attwood or Suburban furnaces serviced anywhere, but not many RV service centers in the US work on Alde systems.

Possibly because there isn't enough of a market for radiant heat systems because no one else asks for them.

Shall I go on?

Not so, the Alde system wins hands down over the Atwood forced air.
I had the forced air in out previous AS and we have the Alde in our 2017 Classic and we love it. It uses way less fuel than the Atwood not to mention the fact that you don't have a fan draining your battery. And no dust blowing around either.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
nickclifford's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Possibly because they use half a pound of propane per hour to keep the glycol solution hot.

Possibly because installing the system would require a lot more plumbing. Which means a lot more labor cost to assemble.

Possibly because you can get Attwood or Suburban furnaces serviced anywhere, but not many RV service centers in the US work on Alde systems.

Possibly because there isn't enough of a market for radiant heat systems because no one else asks for them.

Shall I go on?


Or possibly, you have some hidden agenda here ?! wow, maybe I'm behind the times, they seem so advanced v a forced air furnace system. No one in Europe uses forced air, once you've experienced radiant heat, you'd know why !
__________________
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,344
Anyone considering an Alde system ought to read ClassBWarned.com. It's one of the rare blogs that is best read sequentially from start to finish, for the comprehensive picture that it paints. However, if a reader is interested in minimizing their time on the site, parts 13, 14, and 15 are particularly instructive with respect to the Alde. I especially like the photo in which he shows glycol spewing onto the ground immediately following a warranty "repair".

I wouldn't consider it in a million years, myself. A severely propane-inefficient liquid system in an off-grid rig full of sophisticated lithium-based electrical upgrades, as ours is? Liquid integrated into areas with those electrical upfits? I'd have to have my head examined.

But there might be some owners and some scenarios for which it might be appropriate. Maybe those folks who rely 100% on hook-up travel and whose rigs are in such a configuration that they are not so sensitive to the potential for liquid leaking throughout.
__________________
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
nickclifford's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anyone considering an Alde system ought to read ClassBWarned.com. It's one of the rare blogs that is best read sequentially from start to finish, for the comprehensive picture that it paints. However, if a reader is interested in minimizing their time on the site, parts 13, 14, and 15 are particularly instructive with respect to the Alde. I especially like the photo in which he shows glycol spewing onto the ground immediately following a warranty "repair".

I wouldn't consider it in a million years, myself. A severely propane-inefficient liquid system in an off-grid rig full of sophisticated lithium-based electrical upgrades, as ours is? Liquid integrated into areas with those electrical upfits? I'd have to have my head examined.

But there might be some owners and some scenarios for which it might be appropriate. Maybe those folks who rely 100% on hook-up travel and whose rigs are in such a configuration that they are not so sensitive to the potential for liquid leaking throughout.


Good to know, I'd suggest going on to U.K. based caravan forums for further discussion as to how they actually perform. Would imagine they've been around for a while and if this much of a disaster would have been ditched by now. Why would AS use in all they euro models if so bad ? And now introducing into the US too?
__________________
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anyone considering an Alde system ought to read ClassBWarned.com. It's one of the rare blogs that is best read sequentially from start to finish, for the comprehensive picture that it paints. However, if a reader is interested in minimizing their time on the site, parts 13, 14, and 15 are particularly instructive with respect to the Alde. I especially like the photo in which he shows glycol spewing onto the ground immediately following a warranty "repair".
......
Hi

At least in terms of the Alde system, that's one very confused individual .... That's not uncommon in the RV world. There are a lot of things you can get messed up about.

Bob
__________________
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

At least in terms of the Alde system, that's one very confused individual .... That's not uncommon in the RV world. There are a lot of things you can get messed up about.

Bob
?? I'm not sure I understand. Can you be specific? Messed up about what, exactly? The issues he described were none of his personal doing - his brand new rig was delivered just like that, and over the course of months, Roadtrek was never able to resolve the problems with the Alde. They couldn't even get it to stop leaking for much of that time (and it's still not clear it's fixed for the long term).

I didn't find him to be confused. He actually seems to be an educated individual characterized by good focus and precision in his thinking (I've corresponded with him by email). He seems increasingly interested in fully understanding the technical bases for the issues he has had with his rig.
__________________
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
nickclifford's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
?? I'm not sure I understand. Can you be specific? Messed up about what, exactly? The issues he described were none of his personal doing - his brand new rig was delivered just like that, and over the course of months, Roadtrek was never able to resolve the problems with the Alde. They couldn't even get it to stop leaking for much of that time (and it's still not clear it's fixed for the long term).

I didn't find him to be confused. He actually seems to be an educated individual characterized by good focus and precision in his thinking (I've corresponded with him by email). He seems increasingly interested in fully understanding the technical bases for the issues he has had with his rig.
this poor guy ended up with a real lemon, I wouldn't let one bad story get in the way though. These heating systems are very common in Europe, if that bad, Alde would have gone out of biz a long time ago. Even AS installing them now. Heating systems in most US homes use forced heat, it's a very archaic method compared to radiant heating. ( but probably more reliable ! )
__________________

__________________
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alde system vs standard furnace stujan 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths) 8 02-09-2017 06:21 AM
alde heating system old vet General Repair Forum 1 01-23-2017 10:05 AM
Alde system classic twin cegardner 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths) 1 01-06-2017 04:35 AM
What Alde system does Airstream Use. Lets travel Classic Motorhomes 14 10-12-2016 06:54 AM
Central heating boiler tracker Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 1 04-09-2011 05:52 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.