Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I hope you are thinking in terms of dollar value and complexity when you consider how to build this system, Malcolm. If having a hot water radiant system in your Airstream is more important than the cost and complexity then I think you should proceed immediately! But I tend toward the K.I.S.S. principal, and this is NOT a simple, effective way to achieve the heating of a trailer. I have been intrigued by this idea for some time also, but the complexity as described here makes me want to run from this idea.
This is just my opinion Malcolm, and should be taken as such. The research and information presented here has been very worthwhile to me. Thanks for starting this thread.
Rich the Viking

Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Rich,

I think that the biggest part of the complexity is sorting out the design and performance issues such that I can avoid a complicated and expensive solution. I agree that the information posted here has been very valuable to me as well. It has been a bit disappointing to discover that some aspects of what I want to do are not entirely practical. It has also been a source of some frustration to be tempted to select solutions that are more expensive and more complicated than what I was hoping for.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Malcolm, check out www.pexsupply.com They have mixing valves down around $30. They also have selonoid valves, thermostats, heat exchangers and just about everything else you are looking for.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Control and monitor from my laptop?

I would love to be able to monitor and control my heating system from an older laptop that I have laying around. It would be great to do some performance logging of some sort to see how the system performs.

To do that I need to find a source of temperature and possibly pressure sensors as well as as a pump control relay that I can hook up to my laptop through a serial, parallel or USB connection. I have an electronics background and am computer literate but I have no idea what is available in the way of sensing or control stuff these days. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
One way to have the water heater work, when the trailer is in motion, is install a gasket around the two sides and the top of the water heater door.

I did that many years ago, and even the pilot would not blow out, during travel. I went accross the USA without that happening.

Strange thing though, the pilot light would still blow out, from a wind, when the trailer was parked, not often, but once in a while.

I used the same gasket as used on the screen door.

Andy
Andy,
The reason was "tunneling effects"...the wind swept over the surface..and around this point...never really got invasive enough to blow out your pilot light.
While stopped and,in use,,,the wind was free to come in at any direction.
As I see it..no big deal. perfect world.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Cheap entry level USB Data Acquisition System.

The $ky is the limit once you get into HVAC and refrigeration monitors...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Cheap entry level USB Data Acquisition System.

The $ky is the limit once you get into HVAC and refrigeration monitors...
This looks like a good start at he interface to my computer. These folks do not seem to have the necessary sensors for temperature or pressure though.

Thanks for the lead,

Malcolm
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #92
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are cheaper ways

PC USB Thermometer thermostat measure log temperature For Sale

Keep looking around. Lots of cheap data collection stuff out there these days.

Most of them are based on the microchip PIC controller which costs about $1 each, less than that with the quantity discount. It is possible to build high quality instruments this way that while not precise by scientific standards will get you within a degree or two which for most purposes is sufficient.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Malconium,

Any updates on your system? I'm interested in doing something similar. Biggest problem for me is I haven't found "my" Airstream yet. I'm looking hard, though.

I would think that the system you are thinking on has an advantage that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: you will not be constantly exchanging the air in the trailer like you do with forced air. Your pressure inside the trailer will be more neutral. Maybe I'm way off base, but it is something to think about when estimating BTU requirements As compared to forced air.

Best of luck,

Stephen