Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Air Conditioning Won't Turn on

I just tried to turn on the air conditioner in my '91 Excella and it wouldn't turn on. There was a blown breaker and I flipped it back to on, but it's till not working.. Any trouble shooting advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thank You,
Vickie

Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First you have to define Won't Turn On. If when you slide the selector switch to the On position neither the green indicator light or the AC fan comes on I would again check the breaker and the AC/microwave switch. If the fan come on but the compressor will not come on after 2 or 3 min. while the thermostat is set low enough to cause the compressor to come on you may have a real problem in that the compressor windings may be open.

My green indicator light doesn't come on every time I slide it to the on position and I have to wiggle it. That is just poor contacts from age. They the wiggle

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Very basic questions - you are hooked up to a working 30 amp service - correct? If you're on a 15 amp circuit you can't draw enough juice to run an a/c. Second, are you sure you reset the breaker? On mine, you have to turn the breaker hard OFF before it will successfully reset.

Last - temperature. Presuming you have a thermostatically controlled unit, if it's 65 outside and the thermostat is set to 75... the A/C won't come on. First - try "fan only" to see if that will operate. If not, you may have wires loose or disconnected somewhere. At this point I call in a professional, but if you have more knowledge of electricity and a/c others may advise checking voltages, etc.

Good luck,

Paula
Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I was hooked up to 15 amp electricity. I have run it on the 15 amp before when I have it in storage. Also, my electric jack wasn't working but did after I through the breaker switch back. I am a total newbie to having a trailer, just a little over a month and one trip. I just flipped the switch on the AC unit, but nothing happened, not even a green light. I hope I didn't hurt anything when I was running on the 15 amp while cleaning last week. As far as the thermostat goes, I haven't used it at all. I thought it was just for the heater..

Thank you for the input...

Vickie
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the jack was not working but did after you reset the breaker that just says the convertor and the AC are on the same breaker, not a good idea.

Do you have a selector switch between the micro and the AC? If so does the micro work when you switch to it?

If the micro works after switching to it but the AC does not when switched to it try the wiggle method on the AC On switch and come back.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you HowieE, I give the microwave a try tomorrow.. I sure hope I didn't mess things up running it on the 15 amp! It was just so darned hot when I was cleaning.. I won't be able to hook up to 30 amp until this coming weekend.. I'll try jiggling the switch too. Do you think it's okay to try the microwave in 15 amps or should I wait?